LS1/t56 swap

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Alxsmt

Re: LS1/t56 swap

Post by Alxsmt »

Ended up getting the car level today, well with in 1/2" I believe. Forgot my good levels in my garage.. the car is an hour away at my moms house. Its almost ready to cut.. took a few more random pics

88 Beretta CL - your average grandma car.. Ls1 swap in progress
77 Celica - needs an engine swap
96 Geo - 1.0L, Cam, 3 angle, magnaflow, Koni, coilovers.
86 Subi - Supercharged @7psi
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

Alxsmt wrote:They look pretty cool, and we can't get them. Plus it's the nissan super car. Kinda like the supra. But 275 hp really isn't that impressive..
The Skyline has "276" HP just like a L88 Corvette has "430" HP.

Cliff Scott
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

I have no idea what you mean by that

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Really liking this build...turning a Beretta into a bona fide track toy. Makes me smile! haha

I've always thought it would be cool to drop one on a Schwartz chassis. You know, after I hit the lotto.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

Alxsmt wrote:I have no idea what you mean by that
Here's an excerpt from http://corvettes-musclecars.com/gallery ... nvertible/
L88s actually have been dyno tested to 560 HP. How could GM do this without it being called false advertising? Easy, the publicized rating really was its true horsepower, but Chevrolet neglected to mention that the 430HP figure was at approximately 1000 RPM under the peak performance RPM of the L88.

Cliff Scott
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

Thanks! It will still be a street car tho, just very race inspired :-)

Ohh. I've heard of card getting the flywheel hp at the wheels from the factory but never that much of an under rating. That's crazy. Realistically I don't see them really being better than an evo, sure they have more potential due to the i6, I still think most they hype comes from it being nissans super car and we're not allowed to have them. People get more excited about the skylines than a c6z. Stock for stock we both know what's faster. Possibly even modified. Hell, the chaser get a ton of attention in the states even. Most places it's just another 4 door I bet

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Cali car rules = Because.... Roadkill!

Since you are cutting the car up anyways - are you going to fully tub the rear?

Can you put spacers on the rear to space out the rim from hitting the rear suspension?

I have both the 6 piston PBR's and the 6 piston Brembos - I'll be honest I can't tell much of a difference between the two.

My C6 with the PBRs, Hawk Ceramic Pads, and stainless brake lines - stops on a dime.

My G8 with 6 Piston brembos, Hawk HPS pads, OEM rubber lines - stops on about 13 cents.

The Vette is lighter - and the increased feel from the stainless lines - just makes it feel like it stops a lot better.

I would say between the 2 upgrades - going from the oem 2 piston PBR's to the 6 piston Brembos in the G8 was the biggest change because the factory setup in that near 4k lb car was terrible.

Also the Hawk Ceramics dust like no buddies business - its a reddish brown dust vs the black dust from the black dust from the HPS.

For the LS setup - look into Improved Racing's LS oil ban baffle setup - they are the go-to for LS road racing pan setups when using an OEM pan.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

What's the plan on getting air to the TB? Looks a bit tight!

keep'em flying!
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

No, I actually have plenty of room for the 275s it looks like. The wheels are at the limit as far as going in, they do clear!! and I may have to flare the car a tad, which will make even more room as far as the wheel well goes. I might clean it up, it really depends on where and how the rear end/coilovers end up sitting.

Did you go with the gxp brembo setup? That's good to hear tho, my friends gen 1 ctsv stops retarded fast for a 3800lb car, just 4 pistons. And abs........ I have read the pbr calipers are not as race ready compared to the brembos. But on the cat I'm putting them on, I'm sure I will be over braked and be just fine for what I do. Hawk ceramic? I'm not Familiar with those, I know the hps and hp+. I was going to run the Porterfield r4s pads due to some people saying the hp+ take some heat to start grabbing.. then my friend got the hp+ in his ctsv, I think those will work just fine! Even ice cold. And almost 1/4 the price of the Porterfield.

Ok, I'll have to check them out. I've never heard of them but I've been wondering what direction to go on that part. I have a vette bat wing oil pan, and a camaro pan. As of now it's looking like the gto pan may be the only one that will work or something aftermarket just due to the subframe/steering rack. Little too soon to tell tho, few more weeks and I'll know more

As far as the throttle body, the engine is sitting on blocks, and will be moved back. Before I found out I had to move it I was just thinking of going with a custom radiator. I have the c5 intake setup too in was going to play around with. It's a minor thing tho, not a huge issue yet

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Holley has a lot of LS swap goodies that might help you find solutions.

Money pit the engine will be moved rearward when the firewall is chopped out. Should be plenty of room for a 90 elbow then.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

You know you could flip the intake around - and do a badass intercooler setup for a turbo!

I got my Z06 calipers brand new from West Coast Corvettes - at the time they had the best package deal including pads, fluids, and stainless lines.

I bought my 2009-2013 CTS-V Brembos all new from various sources - online retailers, ebay, amazon.

As far as the oil pan baffle - yeah I wish I had known about them sooner. I stumbled across them a few months ago on the Pro-Touring boards. I JUST replaced my oil pan gasket - and on a C6 - it is a total PITA that I'm not going to do again.

So unless I have a reason to go in there - I'm just going to stick with the C6 setup. I've autocrossed / been on VIR / Charlotte Motor Speedway over the last 7 years - and I have never had a problem with the OEM setup.

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Well, sounds like it will be just fine. Was scratching my head trying to think of ways to get it done. There is a short seal that goes on top of the radiator, that could come off, but there would have to be a very flat snorkel(lol). A nice long sweep 90 will do. Just hate them for something that is going to be sucking a huge amount of air at high RPM. Crazy how much there is going into a one of these engines. It's about the same as a home furnace.

keep'em flying!
bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Are you going with the MAF setup or a speed density tune?

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Speed density is so 1980's....

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Agreed - hence why I am going with the LS3 setup....

But then you get into wiring, sensor placement, etc vs not having the MAF.

One thing I didn't see - what headers you going with?

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS