1990 Indy turbo

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Chevyrider215

1990 Indy turbo

Post by Chevyrider215 »

I have a nice Indy edition with a 3.1 MFI turbo out of a grand prix McLaren ..it was tuned by the previous owner and it has a rebuilt 4spd auto transmission that supposed to have like a shift kit where you have to let out for it to shift from 3-4 gear well I decided to take it for a test run when a new Chrysler 200c decided he wanted to try me so we were already at a roll and when I punched it the car was pulling hard until I reached about 120mph and it pegged out like it was hitting the rev limiter ..I'm not sure if the car was tuned without adjusting or removing the limiter anybody know how these cars work?

ifixalot

Re: 1990 Indy turbo

Post by ifixalot »

There is probably a rev limiter. I don't know how to bypass it.
FYI, just to make you aware, 120 mph on the street is extremely reckless.
In our area, there was a family of three killed by some chump doing over 100 mph on the street.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 00mph.html

I suggest you think long and hard about how you'd feel if you killed somebody with that speed.
Go to a drag strip and race.

themixer

Post by themixer »

http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic. ... o&start=15

I assume the car is this one that sold

Chevyrider215

Post by Chevyrider215 »

Yes I'm aware of endangering others while speeding that's why there were no other cars around and it was a open freeway still i had no business of going that fast but there also was no other vehicles that were in our path just us two going at it

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Never heard of that type of shift kit... Perhaps it's just a limitation of the mechanical 4 speed trans vs the electronic version... Besides that though... I know what can be done to these transmissions and I can assure you that wanting the trans to shift into 4th gear while at WOT will result in 4th gear burning up. That clutch pack consists of two fiber discs and 3 steels, it is in no way designed to take that abuse and honestly can't be upgraded to do so. A 4th gear WOT pull is not recommended. You were probably hitting a rev limiter in the ECU and that was stopping you at that speed, Do you happen to know what RPM you were at?

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

GM preprogrammed the engine computer to interrupt fuel when a certain speed was reached (it has to do with the speed ratings on the original tires). My '88 would cut fuel at 120mph. The first time it did it, I freaked out, the sudden deceleration made me think something came unglued in the engine! I kicked the clutch and it stalled, I let it coast to a stop before restarting. It fired right up.

Are you sure you have a four-speed auto? If you've got the three speed that last shift could be the torque converter engaging.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

1988 Beretta GT 5 speed - 1st car... Gone to the crusher. :(
1989 Beretta GT Z-51
1994 Beretta Z26 getting FE7+Z51 goodies
1987 Pontiac Bonneville LG3+4T65-E
1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon L36+4T65-E
1998 Chevrolet C1500 5.7L L31+ built 4L60-E
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

This is a custom built car running a 3.1 Intercooled turbo from a GTP including the mechanical 4-speed automatic trans, aka the TH440

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

I just now noticed the thread, sorry for the delay.

Yah, When I paid AAMCO to rebuild the transmission they told me that there was a shift kit put in where the driver needed to let off the gas and re-apply to allow it to shift to 4th gear from 3rd gear to protect it from burning up under WOT throttle, but part throttle it shifted 1-2-3-4-TCC normally.
When I did the EEPROM tune I had set the speed limiter to 225 mph (max value it could allow).
Personally I never went over 90 mph with the car so I don't know the max speed it is capable of.

Here is a link to a write up for that transmission that is in the vehicle:
http://www.gmtuners.com/tech/440_4T60E_4T65E.htm

I gave the Vin from the 90 Grand Prix that was parted with the service books I gave with the car, I don't know if that vin can be used to find the exact gear ratios that vehicle came with.

The 3T40's had this:
1st - 2.84
2nd - 1.6
3rd - 1.0
Final Drive Ratio - 3.18

The link says the 4T60 in the vehicle has this:
1st-2.921
2nd-1.568
3rd-1.000
4th-0.705
It also says the 440-T4 (4T60) was available with the following differential ratios: 2.84, 3.06, and 3.33.

Link to wikipedia for sme information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-Hydramatic_125
The Turbo LG5 engines were fitted with the 4T60-HD's which had stronger final drive hardware.