rockers and stuff

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
6r8ph1X

rockers and stuff

Post by 6r8ph1X »

Hi guys, i recently got some 1:6 ratio rockers for my 93 3.1MPFI beauty. i got them installed along with my ported and polished upper and lower intake mani's. we didnot connect the pcv because it had a cap on the bottom of the intake, and i have a breather on the front valve cover anyway. also, the chip that kurt sold me is soposed to have the egr deleted, so that is now blocked off and i made a block off for the hole on the exhaust manifolds. anyway, this is my question for all you 2nd gen guys.....

is my motor going to shake around alot at idle and or lope? or should it? I believe it should, which i like but it kinda runs like a bag of crap at stop signs and lights but then as soon as i give it gas it smooths out. yes we checked the tcc problem and that hasn't gone back out yet so thats not the prob. We originally thought a vaccume leak was the problem but we couldn't find one. (We being me and my ase certified mechanic friend). I don't mind how it runs, i just want to make sure that is how it's soposed to be running. Smells rich too but my light show (Air to fuel gauge) says it's in the stoich range. I'm just confirming my findings and soon enough i'll post up a video.

this might go in the repair section but I figured it had to do with v6 performance and i'm just confirming, not diagnosing per say.

any info 1988gtu?

IsaacHayes

Re: rockers and stuff

Post by IsaacHayes »

Uhm, it should run smooth as silk...

Rockers only increase lift, they do not change overlap or anything like that which gives you lope and chopyness.

You have something wrong.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

2nd what Isaac said!
Dang 6r8ph1X, I didn't know you were going to do all that. I knew that you were thinking about it. The chip should cover the changes that were made. It should idle that same as it did before. I do think it would be best to hook up the PCV system the same as it was stock. That way you don't blow your seals out(gaskets). Stock the computer runs the engine lean, but I bet that the chip is making it run were it should be for power. In other words you MPG is going to be less. Does the idle go up and down?

Did you check out my pics on the 3400 intake swap? They are in the topic "top end swap ?'s".

keep'em flying!
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

I don't think the stock tune is lean. It might even be rich. I doubt the chip will loose you MPG, unless you are pinging/knocking. Then the ECM will pull timing.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

It should run close to normal as before like we discussed. I would hook up a vacuum gauge and see what it is reading at idle. Go over you vacuum system (EGR, PVC, TB vac hoses) and be sure all your grounds are good and all there (connected) .

_________
-------------
6r8ph1X

Post by 6r8ph1X »

hmmmm, no egr any more :) i have a block off on there but idk whats up, ya there's serious lope like vaccume leak type lope. i bought Kurt workman's ported and polished upper and lower intake manifolds.

Money pit Beretta

If it's just going up and down it's the vapor canistor. Well it's more like the purge valve, but you must change the canistor. The valve is made into the canistor. I have one that was for my 90(new in the box). I'm not sure if it is the same part # for your car though. It did cause some trouble in the older cars. I changed every sensor to solve the hunting idle and it didn't work(it was the purge valve). I do find it strange that it was working before the ported intakes were put on. I don't think that you can bypass the valve. It lets fuel vapor in above idle and if it doesn't work it will let it in at idle. That makes the idle go up and down. Please set the PVC up as the stock set up was to be sure that the pressure is not affecting the idle by having too much blow-by gases building up at idle first. Put in a PCV valve, the breather can still be used. That may not help, but it one less thing to think about.

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

6r8ph1X wrote:hmmmm, no egr any more :) i have a block off on there but idk whats up, ya there's serious lope like vaccume leak type lope. i bought Kurt workman's ported and polished upper and lower intake manifolds.
The EGR block off plate could be warped and letting air get past it. If you have propane handy, spray some propane around the suspecting areas (NOT LIT! ONLY the gas!!!!) . I would still find a vacuum gauge to borrow. If you have a boost/vacuum gauge handy those work too.

_________
-------------
Bandit

Post by Bandit »

Did you block the vacuum line for the EGR when you removed it?

- Ryan -
1987 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
1995 Chevy S10 Ext. Cab 4x4
6r8ph1X

Post by 6r8ph1X »

where is the vaccume line from my egr? thats something else i was looking for this morning, just to see. There IS a pcv valve in my back cover,just the nipple on the bottom of the intake is blocked off and the pcv is just chillin.

what happens is when i'm ALMOST stopped, it goes up and down like vrrOOOooooOOOoooOOOooo..ooOOOoo..
then when i come to a stop, it evens out but the car feels like it's missing/ shaking violently. Once again, i don't mind the shaking, i actually kinda like it but i want to make sure the car's running right. Then when i give her gas, she's runs tities, like REAL good, tons of torque and power (compared to stock :) )

*edit* OOOh i did notice that the big vaccum line that goes down to the front passenger side has no vaccum at idle. does that one only have vaccum at throttle type situations? i took off the vaccum plate and say it has a tiny hole for that line OUTSIDE the throttle plate.... interesting

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Cars only have max vac at idle or when the throttle is 100% closed... it starts to drop once you are opening the throttle.

You have a huge vac leak somewhere and its causing issues... start spraying the motor with carb cleaner and when you here the engine rev even more you found the spot.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
6r8ph1X

Post by 6r8ph1X »

we actually did this 3400modified and it seemed to help when we sprayed it around the back of the motor next to the map sensor area, thats where ALL the vaccum lines are. Which one and where is the EGR one? or does it get vaccum from the plenum itself?

Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

The EGR only has vacuum on 87-89 for the V6, 87-95 on the 2.0/2.2 and not at all on the Quad.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I don't know how your vac lines are but any and all come from the plenum somewhere, and if your idle got smoother then you found the leak... now fix it! :) as noted your EGR is digital, not vac controlled.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Yea man, you have digital EGR. Unless you have a hole in one of the vac lines I still think it's the purge valve. With the PCV unhooked there is nothing to draw out the blow by. Once you get enough pressure the valve will open the way you have it now. Sorry, I'm just not a fan of the way it's set up now. I've seen race cars that have pipes that go from the valve covers to the headers to draw the gases out, but that is race only. You need to have something, you could put another breather on the back side. I'm not big on that idea though. Again I think that is a race only kinda thing.
Oops, I didn't see that the spray found a leak. The hard lines that go under the upper intake can break very easy, so I'd check them. While your doing that you can hook up the PCV line. :)

keep'em flying!