need to hop up 2.8

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
beretta taimer

need to hop up 2.8

Post by beretta taimer »

Hey guys i have a 89 gt with 2.8l out of fwd comaro this motor is fast and all but i just want more ass out of it. every thing is stock. what is the best way to hop this motor up i really want to eat v8s for breakfeast.i have access to lots of really cheap parts.any suggestions will healp thanx.

Money pit Beretta

Re: need to hop up 2.8

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Out of a Camaro? Wow! Do you have any pics of the engine in your car? Here look around this site. http://www.engine-parts.com/index.html

keep'em flying!
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

There are tons of Camaros with 2.8's in them and they are NOT FAST!!

But I suppose that can be somewhat relative to what you are used to.

If you think a 17 second 1/4 mile car is fast, then good for you.

:D

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
beretta taimer

Post by beretta taimer »

I can probably name a couple hundred cars this would smoke intil then keep your smart ass replys to your self and f off

wicked-irocz

Post by wicked-irocz »

a FWD comaro huh. Never heard of one.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

beretta taimer wrote:I can probably name a couple hundred cars this would smoke intil then keep your smart ass replys to your self and f off
Ease up there buddy....

I doubt a 2.8 Camaro is fast though... And as noted... FWD?? I'm hoping you meant RWD.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

Easy fellas, Let us help explain the motor instead of jumping right to making fun on someone for not using spell checker (Which I really recommend!)

The Camaro with a 2.8 was not really too fast, good enough to lay a small patch perhaps, but not barn burning fast.

Besides that, the engine really won't work in a FWD application - I'm sure if you have a Beretta with a 2.8 already you are here looking for more "bang" for your buck. You should be able to search the engine forum here on Bnet, or Google 3400, and 3.4mpfi conversions as it is a direct (almost) swap for the tired 2.8/3.1's and has superior horsepower and torque.

Small things like fuel injection and mounts on some blocks may vary.

I truly hope I was helpful in my post, unless of course your a forum troll - then I may have to ask you to "f off" :)

beretta taimer

Post by beretta taimer »

The 2.8 is out of a comaro. its now in my beretta and they are both front wheel drives. the motors are the exact same but the one from the comaro has 10 more hp because the car is heavier. i took the motor out of the comaro my self and put in the beretta because its in better shape then the comaro. try and look up a 87 to 89 fwd comaro you well see its the same.

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Are you mistaking a corsica for a camaro? No camaro is front wheel drive, and the 2.8's that came in the camaros are the iron headed peices of craps that came in the s10's too. Heavy and slow, the stock beretta 2.8 is much better being a gen 2 engine with aluminum heads and intakes...

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

beretta taimer wrote:The 2.8 is out of a comaro. its now in my beretta and they are both front wheel drives. the motors are the exact same but the one from the comaro has 10 more hp because the car is heavier. i took the motor out of the comaro my self and put in the beretta because its in better shape then the comaro. try and look up a 87 to 89 fwd comaro you well see its the same.
So now we KNOW you don't know what the hell you are talking about!!

:ROFL:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

beretta taimer wrote:The 2.8 is out of a comaro. its now in my beretta and they are both front wheel drives. the motors are the exact same but the one from the comaro has 10 more hp because the car is heavier. i took the motor out of the comaro my self and put in the beretta because its in better shape then the comaro. try and look up a 87 to 89 fwd comaro you well see its the same.
Ok...

How about you do that before you make a fool of yourself.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=87-89+FWD+comaro

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

My Friend - perhaps I wasn't clear enough with my original reply. Unless you have a cheap Chinese knock-off or discovered some magical Camaro (Just pointing out, that it really is a CAMaro, not a COMaro - see the correct spelling here?) that GM threw in the trash long ago, then I'm afraid that your engine came from something else.

Perhaps a Corsica? Perhaps a Cavalier? Both of these are Front Wheel Drive automobiles, not rear wheel as in the case of all Camaros and Corvettes.

I'm thinking the later is really what you meant. In that case, the engines are NEAR IDENTICAL, and really does not have 10hp over the Beretta "because the car is heavier" - if any HP differences are in your particular case, it would be from the vehicle it was originally installed in, not necessarily the engine application itself. Things such as emissions, exhaust, etc could cause maybe 5hp difference - but I doubt 10.

Now that we have helped you understand the engine basics, perhaps I can - as a courtesy - teach you a bit out our lovely spell check? I am quite the spelling guru when I feel it is warranted!

For starters - when you type up your post, please if you would, take a look in the box that you are typing in for words that are underlined in a red squiggly line. This is the software alerting you to the fact that you have incorrectly spelled that word, well, incorrectly! If you mouse over (or hover if you prefer) that word, and right click (or left if your a lefty!) you have a list that drops down, allowing you to correct your mistake.

Trust me, no one is perfect. I myself misspell from time to time, BUT that is what this service is for!

You have MY PERSONAL GUARANTEE that if you follow my tips, people will be falling over themselves to help you in your quest to make that beast, faster, stronger, and prettier - all for under a Six Million Dollar budget!

Edit: Forgot to add that the corsica and cavalier are FWD. Also "Camaro" is not in the spell checker, so this could be part of the problem.

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Travelor is right!!

Tone down the attitude and you will be surprised at the help and advice available here.

There are alot of us with swapped drive trains that are capable of running well into the 14's, almost a full three seconds quicker than you are likely to see with a 2.8 anything.

(See Jon! I can be nice sometimes! LOL!!)

:o :shock: :beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

beretta taimer

Post by beretta taimer »

Hey guys i checked with the mechanic i got motor from and he said he bought the camaro new and it was special ordered front wheel drive with the aluminum block 2.8. i have herd of a few fwd camaro's but not very many.ill try to get some pics .the mechanic's name is Thomas Myers i dont know if anyone has herd of him but he seems to be beliveing what he said.i haved asked if he has just changed the block he said no and as far as i can see there was no custom motor mounts weilded to the block.so either he is telling a load of crap or it is special order from GM ill let yall be the judge on that because thats what yall do.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

FWD Aluminum block Camaro... I Highly doubt that. There was NEVER and I will repeat myself NEVER a Front Wheel Drive version of the Camaro. Sorry Special order or not they just NEVER did it. He's feeding you a line of crap and your gobbling it up before researching it more.

An f-body is an f-body is an f-body.... All RWD, Never a FWD f-body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Camaro

Third GEN info for the 89 year Camaro specifics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-gene ... let_Camaro

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"