Convert OBDI.5 to OBDII: Engine bay harness fixes Parts list

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Convert OBDI.5 to OBDII: Engine bay harness fixes Parts list

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Well here is a short write up on how to modify the 96 OBDII harness to work in a 94 or 95 car without changing the interior harness. This gives you the ability to tune a 94-95 car with DHP or HPTuners. Info needed on tuning PM me.

EDIT I needed to update this to include info on other parts needed to complete this swap to eliminate any and all questions about it.
1996 Parts needed to swap on your 94-95 Beretta

-ECM Bracket
-Glove Box
-Fresh Air Vent
-EGR and possibly Pipe depending on what setup you had before.
-96+ Upper intake, Goes along with the above, if you have a stock 3100 you will need the 96 3100 upper to use the 96 EGR
-Automatic transmission range selector switch located on selector shaft of trans.
-Maf Sensor
-Knock Sensor
-ABS ECM in firewall
-ABS Motors, and or full 96+ Master Cylinder if you intend on keeping your ABS system.
-96+ 3pin temp sensor (if your already 3400 you may have converted to this.)
-Purge Valve setup below coils there is a new Flow valve that can not be purchased new from anyone so you need to find it at a JY to add it in.
-Depending on year you may need the solenoid brackets that mount to the strut towers, I know 94 had them on the firewall.
-Injector wiring harness if you want to convert to the 3 pin temp sensor, other wise you can just use the 95 one and re-route the temp wiring to what your doing. 96 the 3 pin wire is part of the injector harness.
-And of course 1996 or 1997 ECM... 96 has to be flashed with a Beretta Bin, and 97 has to be flashed with a corrected Venture bin to run properly. Stock Venture bin is not setup right

Now the wiring,

Some may not feel comfortable doing this but others can accomplish it easily.

There are three fixes you need to do to make the harness work on a 94 or 95 interior dash harness.

Re-route Tach signal wire from pin 9 on the ECM connector to pin C on the ICM connector. (IF YOU HAVE A TACH DASH) This is not necessary if you do not have or ever want a tach cluster.

Re-route Pin G5 on the driver's side body harness connector to Pin P on the passenger side body harness connector. This is for the ABS light to work on the dash

Tap pin F4 on the drives side body harness and connect that to the engine harness side of the wire that was on Pin P on the passenger side body harness, wire is left over from the previous step. This is routing a power source from the driver side to the MAF power wire.

Then you can add some wires that tap off of the passenger side body harness connector to wire in your com port, I'll add pics of that part later.

The steps: (all relating pictures below the step being described)
Find Pin 9 on the clear ECM connector, WHITE WIRE.
obdiiwriteup001.jpg
Cut it 2 inches back from the connector just to leave some extra if you ever want to hook up a 0-5v tach setup.

Pull the wire back through the passenger side firewall connector.
obdiiwriteup002.jpg
Pull it back to where the wires for the ICM come out of the main harness.
obdiiwriteup003.jpg
Route it up to the ICM connector to determine length of wire needed.
obdiiwriteup004.jpg
Pull a connector from a un-used connector you have lying around, remember it has to be the same type of pin, TPS, Crank position, IAC, and a few others are all the same, I cut up a old crank position connector to get the pin out of it.
obdiiwriteup005.jpg
I cleaned it up trimmed back the wires, threaded the white wire through the ICM connector first at PIN C, and then put the pin on the wire and soldered it together.
obdiiwriteup006.jpg
I then pulled the wire back into place clipping the pin into the connector.
obdiiwriteup007.jpg
Cut the white wire on the driver's side body harness connector, PIN G5 AKA top row second from left, Looking at the back side of connector, as pictured, (natural wire curve aiming down)
obdiiwriteup010.jpg
Pull this wire back through the harness to the ABS ECM plug.
obdiiwriteup011.jpg
Stage this wire there for now.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: OBDI.5 to OBDII Engine bay harness fixes

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Cut the pink wire PIN F4 on the driver's side body harness to allow you to tap in a new wire to run to the other side.
obdiiwriteup012.jpg
Solder the new wire to the existing wire and then connect all three ends back together, cover with heat shrink and wrap in electrical tape.
obdiiwriteup013.jpg
Now run this new wire through the main harness taping the harness back up as you go, once you get to where the ABS plug is, start to pull both the new wire and the white on you cut from the previous step, route these two wires over to the passenger side compartment entrance. Connect them to some tool you can use to thread the wires through the grommet, I used welding wire, a coat hanger is fine as well.
obdiiwriteup014.jpg
Pull the two wires through the passenger side grommet.
obdiiwriteup015.jpg
Route them over to the rectangle body harness connector with the blue and red clips on it.

Now cut the wire at PIN P giving you enough wire to work with on either side.
obdiiwriteup016.jpg
Now solder the corresponding wires to the ends pictured here. White wire is the ABS plug wire, this goes to the connector side, and the yellow wire is the new one that I ran from the driver's side, this one goes to the harness side, going back out to the engine bay.
obdiiwriteup017.jpg
Com port wires are as follows, going from the com port to the rectangle body harness pictured just above this.

Orange - to any 12V constant source
Black - Any Ground
B/W - Tap to Pin D on the rectangle body harness (Engine bay side of this plug)
Purple - Tap to Pin E on the rectangle body harness
Tan - Tap to Pin F on the rectangle body harness

That should allow you to connect to the ECM and flash and get codes. Mine is wired right to the rectangle body harness plug and is positioned on the passenger side to prevent annoying DHP cable cross over.

That's all I have for right now, any questions feel free to PM me, or reply to this post.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Slinky

Re: Convert OBDI.5 to OBDII: Required Engine bay harness fix

Post by Slinky »

Could you please fix the pix on this jon?
i am interested in visually seeing how it works

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Sorry I'll try to do this today.

I just got my laptop working again and most of the pics were there.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Pix fixed

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
mickaz

Re: Convert OBDI.5 to OBDII: Engine bay harness fixes Parts

Post by mickaz »

is there anything else I need to know before doing the obd1 to abd2? I am soon going to do this. so any insight is appreciated :)

just toughed about this. could I use another 1996 harness? like a GA or a malibu?

Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner
99GaGT3X00

Post by 99GaGT3X00 »

mickaz wrote:is there anything else I need to know before doing the obd1 to abd2? I am soon going to do this. so any insight is appreciated :)

just toughed about this. could I use another 1996 harness? like a GA or a malibu?
the N-body harnesses are different where they enter the car so they won't work. well maybe with a lot of work rewiring it to the connector on the L-body but in the end it would probably be easier to find an L-body harness.

pretty much follow what Jon wrote up and you will be good.

3400/3500 Hybrid
227/233@.050 .515.515 lift 112LSA
15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400

99 Grand Am GT------03 Subaru Outback H6
Luckymc420

Post by Luckymc420 »

I think I have found a mistake in this. On the first step it asks for Pin 9 on The clear ECM connector. The clear is C2 and in C2 there is not being used. I think you mean blue connector aka C1 And that is IAC High.
Yes no maybe?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The blue connector is C2 not C1 because it contains the data lines, I know that because I'm holding my bench OBDII tuning setup in my hand, its a blue plug only that goes into the ECU and it contains the pins for the OBDII data stream. And here is a PDF of the C1 connector. Pin 9 is the Tach signal.

Also a picture of the C2 connector. It has the IAC on pin 9. I think you have your C's mixed up.
Attachments
C2.pdf
(51.65 KiB) Downloaded 717 times
Pin9.pdf
(45.73 KiB) Downloaded 826 times

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"