OBDII Code Removal for Emissions/and 97 ECM Swap-DHP&HPTune

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
3X00-Modified
Administrator

OBDII Code Removal for Emissions/and 97 ECM Swap-DHP&HPTune

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Ok now if you have an OBDII swapped vehicle, or original equipment this will help you get through emissions if your state requires it. There are 4 or more diagnostic systems that need to be reported as "ready" or otherwise known as the readiness monitors. For a Beretta these systems are the,

1 Catalyst
2 O2 Heaters
3 EGR System
4 O2 Sensor Monitoring.

I guess I need to clarify this since some users don't understand it. Now if your car is 100% stock you'll probably never have an issue here, but if you've heavily modified yours like I have and also removed the secondary O2 sensor then you need to do some tweaking Via HPTuners OR DHP. DHP supports our 1996 Bin file and a 1997 Venture file, HPTuners supports a 1997 Monte Carlo file (which works in our car). The 1997 ONLY ecm for the Monte Carlo and Venture is a direct plug in ecm, NO REWIRING necessary. If you have DHP you can use the Venture OR Monte ECM (last three digits of service code 058 ECM)and either of the two files. HPTuners ONLY supports the Monte Carlo ECM so you need to get one direct from a Monte for the Vin to match and allow HPTuners to connect/register to the ECM.

I've made it so my car shows 3 systems as complete as soon as you turn the key on after doing a flash, Typically you would have to perform "driving cycles" to get these ready but I no longer have to.

I shut off 9 codes in my system so I could get the Catalyst ready, O2 heater ready, EGR Ready and then actually the last one will go ready normally as you drive the car, so that one is not tricked.

These are the codes I changed to make the Catalyst Ready

* P0137 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
* P0138 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
* P0140 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 2
* P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency

These are the codes I changed to pass the O2 Heaters

* P0135 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1
* P0141 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2

And these are the codes I changed to pass the EGR system

* P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Insufficient
* P1406 - EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit

Now this was all done to a 1997 Venture Bin file VIA DHP, All these same codes exist in a 1996 Beretta file as well and will perform the same function. If you wish to have ALL systems pass as soon as you turn the key on, then you would remove the same set of codes in my first section, but you would do that for Bank 1 Sensor 1 as well as Bank 1 Sensor 2. This works because you are changing all the associated codes for each system to never report a failure, so since they can't report that then the systems are automatically set for ready.

I've been finding the setting you use is the same for HP Tuners as it is for DHP. You would edit the DTC REPORTING function not the DTC Enabled area of DHP, or uncheck the SES light box on HP Tuners, You will change the reporting to a setting of "No Reporting" (shows up as a 3 in DHP) Or "3 - No error reported" for HP Tuners.

Any Questions on this function Please let me know.

5-12-16 Added A PDF file that shows the codes that are on or present in the 97 Monte programming that are non existent or set differently in the 96 Beretta ECU programming. You will have to match most of these and set the ones that do not exist (non's) to no reporting as well as DTC disabled to prevent a rogue SES light.
Attachments
OBDII code difference 97monte 96beretta.pdf
(7.37 KiB) Downloaded 512 times

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
2nejunkie

Re: OBDII Code Removal for Emissions/and 97 ECM Swap-DHP&HPTune

Post by 2nejunkie »

Thats a bummer dood.
I'm OBDII as well but in a 90 so the NYSI doesnt need to be plugged in.
Only thing I need to do still is to get rid of the Auto Trans codes/Functions in the PCM.
Last edited by 2nejunkie on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Why is it a bummer? This is so easy to disable and I have it setup so as soon as I connect the battery and turn key, all my systems are passed... I don't even have to do a driving cycle, and I could pass with a hollow cat now too since this is all they check... they don't do a tailpipe sniff.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
99GaGT3X00

Post by 99GaGT3X00 »

i used this method to get a sticker a few weeks back. car had been sitting with no battery for a month and i dont have the time to do drive cycles.
flashed the bin i had set up for this and it passed no problem.

3400/3500 Hybrid
227/233@.050 .515.515 lift 112LSA
15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400

99 Grand Am GT------03 Subaru Outback H6
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

99GaGT3X00 wrote:i used this method to get a sticker a few weeks back. car had been sitting with no battery for a month and i dont have the time to do drive cycles.
Gotta love fooling them that easy don't ya? LOL :)

I actually found the info on the o2 heater code removal on a vette forum, Before I was always just shutting off the insufficient activity code, but when you kill the heater code too then the tests pass instantly.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Very nice. No cycle time rocks.

99GaGT3X00

Post by 99GaGT3X00 »

3X00-Modified wrote:
99GaGT3X00 wrote:i used this method to get a sticker a few weeks back. car had been sitting with no battery for a month and i dont have the time to do drive cycles.
Gotta love fooling them that easy don't ya? LOL :)

I actually found the info on the o2 heater code removal on a vette forum, Before I was always just shutting off the insufficient activity code, but when you kill the heater code too then the tests pass instantly.
ill have to look at the paper to see what it says when they see it. the only thing i looked at was the sticker for next year. then i realized i had a burnt out fog-light.

3400/3500 Hybrid
227/233@.050 .515.515 lift 112LSA
15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400

99 Grand Am GT------03 Subaru Outback H6
2nejunkie

Post by 2nejunkie »

Sorry for the Bummer Dood. It was a blurt out of turn.

96B-Mike

Re: OBDII Code Removal for Emissions/and 97 ECM Swap-DHP&HPT

Post by 96B-Mike »

is there anything you need to do before/after installing the monte carlo ecm?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: OBDII Code Removal for Emissions/and 97 ECM Swap-DHP&HPT

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Read post one....???

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"