3.1L MPFI AND 3400

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
B-Fast

3.1L MPFI AND 3400

Post by B-Fast »

I have A 89 Gt with A 3.1L MPFI 5speed I also have A 3400 sitting in the garage but needs a head gasket. So I was looking into doing the 3400 swap but I want to have recently decide to just swap head. But in doing so I want to build the bottom end and top end to get some Hp and Tq out of this on all motor. The thing is I have never really built A motor for performance now if it would of been stock I could of done it. I do no I need custom length push rods but what about head gasket witch model do I use and are the head bolts the same length? Other than that I don't no what spec's to go buy when buying piston's, cam, and all the rest to get a motor that is built evenly and right to get the best Hp and Tq. Also dose anyone no with this setup what would be my peak Hp and Tq I can get out of it or if I should even go this rout?

89 Gt 3.1L 5 Speed, Predator Kit, 2.5" Exhaust, 17" Panther Rims
beretta

Re: 3.1L MPFI AND 3400

Post by beretta »

ive herd of using a camaro or firebird 3.8 L head gaskets on this swap.

why dont you just drop the whole engine in, not that hard to do the wiring, i think you could probably use a 3100 beretta harness and just have to modify a few things.

also make sure if your going to use those heads have them planed for straightness. a friend of mine bought 2 vans 1 with a good engine and 1 had blown head gasket and the gaskets were replaced once by a shop but it blew again shortly after, im guessing the head was warped. i snagged the whole top end off the engine but ended up throwing it out, kept a few things like injectors and throttle body which i just wrecked for the throttle plate and made it fit in my 3.1 L TB. and i have the roller rockers and push rods from it. few smaller parts but heads and intake is gone, and im such an idiot because my gf's 99 luminua has the 3100 i could have swapped that intake onto it.

Wanako

Post by Wanako »

I would recommend just fixing that head gasket on that 3400 and drop that sucker in there. You'll be spending the same amount of time and perhaps less money getting to where you want to be. It'll just be more cost and time-efficient and you'll get much more power out of it because you've got a much better starting point than an old gen-2 3.1.

Now that I've gotten that part out of the way, if you really must build that old 3.1, almost all of the information you need to do a Hybrid conversion is here: Hybrid swap Write-up. You should switch out the entire top-end from the 3400 not just the heads. The head gaskets you need are actually from a late 80's-early 90's 3.1 Camaro.

Check out this attached discussion we had on BStuff with Superdave from 60degreev6. I managed to save it before BStuff went down again. Very good information inside.

Overall, with the top-end swap, tips included in the file, headers, cam, and a good tune, you should be able to break 200HP+. but then again, with the same amount of work and money you spend here you may have about 220 or 240HP+ from a 3400.

Hope this helps.

:beer:

:burn:
Attachments
gen-2 performance discussion.pdf
(72.3 KiB) Downloaded 983 times

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

beretta wrote:ive herd of using a camaro or firebird 3.8 L head gaskets on this swap.
Ummmm okay... :ROFL:

I second what wanako said...

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
B-Fast

Post by B-Fast »

well its forsale now because i bought a crx and im just gonna keep the beretta looking good and stock for now i just really needed something that was better on gas i drove for 2 hours on the highway and used 1/2 a tank of gas

beretta

Post by beretta »

2 hours of driving... what half of the tank ? the top half is much larger then the bottom, it cost from empty to half tank about 10 bucks for me and another 30 to fill the top half, im getting between 35 and 40 KM/gallon with my 3.1 5 speed. and im still running whatever plugs where in it when i got it, newer wires same plugs. and semi synthetic 5w30 oil. mild modded throttle body just recently and just put a cold air breather on it today not sure if its better or worse yet lol.

B-Fast

Post by B-Fast »

The top half i was on full when i left and i only get about 200Miles out of a tank but i did have a coil just go out so idk if its been like that for awhile but i sold the crx and got a civic anyway but i still have the beretta ill never get ride of it.