swap diggity

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
keiffith

swap diggity

Post by keiffith »

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm not sure how I will go about doing a 3500 swap on my 92. :burn: I know that they go in easy on 94+ cars but the guide from 3x00 swap for a 95 mentions little to nothing about obdI cars. I have a stock 3.1 5 speed that has a bad valve seal, so instead of spending the time and money on fixing my older motor I would like to go to its bigger brother. Now for the q's
-Do I just transfer everything computer wise and dash wiring wise from a 96 beretta and use a 3500 computer?
-can I run all the 3500 accesories in my car?
-is is easier to mod the 3.1 fuel rails or just mod the fuel lines to route correctly?
-what mounts do I need to make or modify and can I use the front cradle style mounts?
Hope I don't get flamed. :runsies:

92 3.1 manual base 190k Daily
93 3.1 auto base 275k RIP 'Joan'
73 Yamaha RD250 moth balled

CPL, USMC, Veteran/2111
lolwut

Re: swap diggity

Post by lolwut »

60* V6 is your absolute best friend for this. 3500 SWAPS EVERYWHERE lol

1. You can use OBD1. I don't know if WOT Tech has a chip yet, but with some info they'd be glad to burn an OBD1 chip for you.
2. IDK if you use 3500 or 3.1 accessories, I know Fieros have this weird setup but I think the FWDs are pretty standard
3. Don't need to mod fuel rails IIRC...
4. Stock mounts, grab that metal arm thing on the passenger side from a 3100 Beretta

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Same thing as doing a 3400 swap.... There are very few differences... Being a 92 you already have the newer upper passenger side motor mount so thats just like doing a 3400, you need the 94+ 3100 bracket for it, and then the rest is very straight forward... You'll need to adapt a TB or cables for it... TCE 65mm tb is the best bet with the adapter, clean and works with our linkage perfect. And then you'll need the external crank trigger for the ignition system, and you'll have to fab up one rear brace to go between the trans and the rear block, unless you don't have the jack shaft and have the long axle on the passenger side.

Other than that you have the other typical hurdles... The temp sensor, the injectors, Tuning, Tuning, and more Tuning... I can't emphasize that enough... you'll have to get a chip since a 3500 will not run right on 3.1 code or injectors for that matter.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

Since the 3500 has to have a rear bracket made to bolt up to the Getrag, am I assuming correctly that you would also need to do this to a 4T60E as well?

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

3X00-Modified wrote: you need the 94+ 3100 bracket for it, and then the rest is very straight forward...
I think you mean 95 and up. 94 had the lame mount.... lol

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

DTMAce wrote:
3X00-Modified wrote: you need the 94+ 3100 bracket for it, and then the rest is very straight forward...
No, 94 an up all had the 3100 so all of timing cover mounts that are bolted to the engine are the same... The one on his 3.1 is probably not right.
heavywoody wrote:Since the 3500 has to have a rear bracket made to bolt up to the Getrag, am I assuming correctly that you would also need to do this to a 4T60E as well?
Yes, the bosses are in a different spot. I've been thinking about this one at the same time of thinking about doing a 65e swap. ;)

Cool thing is, I HAVE a 3500 block and 4t60e so I could make the bracket before I even get another 3500 to work with. But I would rather match it with the 65e housing to make sure that comes out right.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
keiffith

Post by keiffith »

Has anyone run the obdII wiring? I would rather have the hassle of doing the wiring swap than deal with tuning issues.

CPL, USMC, Veteran/2111
KFLO 93 GT

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

The chip tune is cake. Have someone knowledgeable burn the chip, then install it and go. Besides, there are tons of smart OBD1 tuning members in our extended community.

Swapping wiring harnesses and converting a 92 to obd-2 will be the true pain in the ass. Plus, you'd still need to tune a 96 computer to run the 3500 at it's peak. To me, the $150 for a chip sounds far and away better than the hassle of swapping harnesses. The older the car is, the more you'll have to change with wiring harness upgrades.

The swap itself is easy, you'll need some various 3100 parts as mentioned. The jackshaft bracket will be the biggest thing, and it's nothing if you've got time and a welder.

93 GTs
keiffith

Post by keiffith »

I have access to multiple 3100's, just no 3400 or 3500's. Thinking of buying.a 3400 and upgrading the top end.

CPL, USMC, Veteran/2111
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

3X00-Modified wrote:
DTMAce wrote:
No, 94 an up all had the 3100 so all of timing cover mounts that are bolted to the engine are the same... The one on his 3.1 is probably not right.
No, you misunderstood. The actual MOUNT on the 94's were lame, compared to the 95 and 96 years where the bolts stuck clear up and through the mount. Mine are recessed. The 94 ones tended to sag a bit after awhile. The 95 and 96 years had a stronger better mount. Location wise, they are identical yes.

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

DTMAce wrote:
3X00-Modified wrote:
DTMAce wrote: I think you mean 95 and up. 94 had the lame mount.... lol
No, you misunderstood. The actual MOUNT on the 94's were lame, compared to the 95 and 96 years where the bolts stuck clear up and through the mount. Mine are recessed. The 94 ones tended to sag a bit after awhile. The 95 and 96 years had a stronger better mount. Location wise, they are identical yes.
Well that part I wasnt referring to... Thats up to him if he wants to use the newest 95+ style mount thats bolted to the car. At least he has the holes there to install that mount though. Your note of swapping is not necessary but the bracket I stated is needed.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

That's ok. I just seem to recall everyone swore by that newer mount, if putting in a 3400/3500 setup. That's all.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The other benefit to that version is the poly insert goes in MUCH better and stays in place.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
KFLO 93 GT

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

I've still got the 93 body side upper mount (the part that the insert goes in) on my 93 GT.

It bolts up just fine to any of the newer brackets. And I never understood why nobody poly filled around the mount insert. Mine has been fine for years with this method, never budged at all. The only down fall is that the bolts are getting close to stripping from having it on an off 2 dozen times in its life. ;)

I've got a 96 unit to replace it with eventually.

93 GTs
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I didn't find that to be necessary with the 95+ mount.

I only filled the trans mount since that has so much dead space.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"