Do you think this is worth it?

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
zBusterCB87

Do you think this is worth it?

Post by zBusterCB87 »

I was wondering everyone's opinions on this:
http://wot-tech.com/shop/gm-60v6/87-93- ... rod_3.html

Do you think it is worth the random 100 dollars or so?
Also, this just plugs in place of the stock E-Prom chip, right?
idk, I was only thinking about it...lol :P

Have the 1990 Beretta 3.1L V6 3 speed AUTO
Its a 1992 Buick Regal 3.1L v6 in it actually, that was because it was just easier to replace instead of rebuild at the time, less miles too...
But it still has the Beretta's original computer...

scd88ga

Re: Do you think this is worth it?

Post by scd88ga »

Save your money or spend it on the car for something else...

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
zBusterCB87

Post by zBusterCB87 »

I was only wondering, i have been looking at performance parts like turbos, high flow stuff, engine mods, etc...
I was gona get each thing one at a time because i cant do it all at once for various reasons...

I have machine shop i can use to make stuff too, but i'm a bit novice there, i got a friend who can help...
I saw the 3100 turbo project, looks like a fun summer job! :D

I just wana be careful i dont blow the engine is all i'm worried about...lol

keiffith

Post by keiffith »

its worth $100 for the ease of install. Actual gains are around 5hp+. My 93 3.1 had one and i liked it. About to put it in my 92 after I get my old motor in it. It takes about 10 minutes to install so it is ok in my book. If you plan on putting in a 3400 later on you will need one burned to run it on obdI.

Most people tell you not to get one do to the small gains. But considering time=money it pans out.

92 3.1 manual base 190k Daily
93 3.1 auto base 275k RIP 'Joan'
73 Yamaha RD250 moth balled

CPL, USMC, Veteran/2111
mickaz

Post by mickaz »

great chip from a good place....I order everything for my v6 from there. if you plan on keeping the engine go on but if you plan on swapping it, wait buy a chip made for a 3400.

Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner
KFLO 93 GT

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

I originally got one back in early 2004. Was a good mod until it became obsolete with my engine swap.

For $100 you can't go wrong really. The chip has several modifications on it that help more than just in the power department.

93 GTs
zBusterCB87

Post by zBusterCB87 »

That is great to hear :)

Yah, I do plan on keeping the old 3.1L 6v, it is a great engine.

I was looking at the "how to" on installing this chip...
I'm ... confused, it looks simple but I'm a bit stumped...lol

Do I take the stock E-Prom chip and take it apart to insert the mod chip?
or does it install different?

because it says it connects to the original E-Prom chip...

KFLO 93 GT

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

You'll have to take the computer out, remove a small side cover which will give you access to the chip itself. It's held in by snap connectors on each side.

Once your chip is out, you'll put the little adapter deal onto your chip you just removed, leaving you with this:

Then lock that combo back into place in the computer. All that's left is putting the side cover back on, and reinstalling the computer.

Here's a link to the info on how to do it on a 92-93, should be pretty much the same. http://www.berettaspeed.com/information ... .php?id=15

93 GTs
zBusterCB87

Post by zBusterCB87 »

Yah I saw the photo, I think I got the idea now...lol

that E-Prom laying on the table in the photo, would turn +90 degrees upright to plug into the computer, and that performance chip would turn -90 degrees to plug into the computer...

and its on the opposite side of the silver stickered chip in the E-Prom...

Thanks for the link, that helped make it more clear, I thought there was more to it and that I was missing something...lol :P

So, I was thinking of these selections:

Digital Dash: Yes-ALL
(I have them)

EGR: NO
(I figure it is off it would make better combustion...)

Engine: 3.1L v6 (60 degree)
(I have it)

Rev Limiter in gear: 6500 RPM
(What do you suggest here?? I choose 6500, seems reasonable)

Rev Limiter P/N: 6500 RPM
(What do you suggest here?? I choose 6500, seems reasonable, does not seem to have one stock...)

Speed Limiter MPH: 225 MPH
(lol, just to do it)

Thermostat used: 180 degree (F)
(I have 195 now, I plan on getting the 180...)

Transmission: 3 SPD-AUTO
(I have the same vehicle coming to me with a 5 SPD manual, does it really matter if the chip stays for auto when its purchased?)

Year: 1990
(My cars year...)

Should I change anything? or does anyone suggest something else?
with the thermostat I really don't care, I have a switch under the dash that I can make the fan full on or full auto...

thanks for the help and info!! :)

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

EGR is not worth getting rid of unless you have a reason to (like a 3x00 intake or headers). Keep the 195 thermostat, it's more efficient running warmer. I would bring the park rev limiter down to 4500 or so. Auto vs manual I don't know how much difference it makes for 3t40 cars...I know it is important for the electronic autos.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

My EGR is still 100% operational... lol :)

It actually helps get me good gas mileage when I'm going on long rides.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
99GaGT3X00

Post by 99GaGT3X00 »

last time i checked mine still worked too. never really saw the reason to remove it or make it not functional, it's not like you see a huge increase in power from disabling it.

for the P/N limiter i don't see the reason for having it so high unless your going to sit there and rev the crap out of it. i left mine at the stock 4k or what ever it was.

3400/3500 Hybrid
227/233@.050 .515.515 lift 112LSA
15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400

99 Grand Am GT------03 Subaru Outback H6
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

zBusterCB87 wrote:That is great to hear :)

Yah, I do plan on keeping the old 3.1L 6v, it is a great engine.
I remember those days, and honestly if I can give you a word of advice, think about the future plan and goal for the overall hobby. If all you want is a slight increase in performance while retaining mostly stock configuration, then you are golden....... However, if you plan to increase your power out put roughly 30% or more, you might want to consider swapping the engine out and starting out with that initial 30% gain saving time/money then do what ever you'd like to achieve more power with more reliability and modern parts that will still be easily obtainable of the shelf at the local parts store.

The 2.8/3.1 has ran its course, time to let the fiero owners have them! :P

_________
-------------
ronaconda

Post by ronaconda »

Get it...well worth the $100 just because it kicks the cooling fan on more often and keeps temps down - i get just past the 1/4 mark on my gauge and thats as high as it ever goes with it.

And if you can get the PROM/chip assembly in with just taking off the PROM access cover off then great. I had to take the two halves of the computer case apart to get my assembly plugged in...

zBusterCB87

Post by zBusterCB87 »

I would swap a better engine but this engine i had bought a while back as an upgrade engine for a 1987 2.8 beretta and made it a 3.1... (from a 92 buick regal at pull-a-part)...

Then i got this 1990 beretta and its engine was going bad, never had time to rebuild it, and the 87 was rusted so bad, i put the 3.1 buick regal engine into this 1990 beretta from my 87, then kinda tossed the origional 90 beretta 3.1 aside... (did the job in 3 days, both engines out and one moved to better car...lol)

If i had the time, i'd buy the better engine, but going to school takes all my time for now... And for a long time later... So i kinda stuck...
Thats why i'm all about the easy way out, i can always sell it to my friend later, he has a GTZ or whatever its called (i forget...lol) with the same 3.1, and he plans on keeping his engind...lol (he dont have a chip mod, he might want one later on if he still dont have it...)