turbo complexites?

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?

turbo complexites?

Post by Guest »

so i see alot of 3400 turbos on here but i want to boost a 3.1 and place of my 2.8 in my 89 gt.. so what do i have to look out for.. any one have pics and tips for a setup?? im looking at a 14b turbo out of a first gen dsm

1988GTU

turbo complexites?

Post by 1988GTU »

I am charging my 2.8MPFI in my base Beretta.  The only issues for me is the auto trans mount and the fuel pump.  The lines for the fuel tank were so rusty that they just crumbled when I bumped teh lines.  
You'll need a bettter fuel regulat. and a high volume fuel pump possibly a secondary ECM to do it half way decent.

_________
-------------

turbo complexites?

Post by Guest »

gtu.. do you have any pics of this setup or its progress?.. how hard was it to make the header?

RebelGT

turbo complexites?

Post by RebelGT »

do more searching, there's a turbo 2.8 on here, and GM made a factory 3.1 in the Turbo Grand Prix.

1988GTU

turbo complexites?

Post by 1988GTU »

(del_sol_86 @ Nov. 01 2005,10:51)Q
U
O
T
Egtu.. do you have any pics of this setup or its progress?.. how hard was it to make the header?
Not right at this moment, but I should have images up within two weeks.  That's when I get just about all my parts all fabbed up.

Email me in a week & I'll have something to link you.
adidas1232016@yahoo.com

_________
-------------
Ribz80

turbo complexites?

Post by Ribz80 »

For the lucky 92-93 3.1's, a complete TGP turbo setup is a direct bolt on.  Find one in the junkyard and get everything you can.  Thats what I have and included in the kit was every hose clamp and fitting including an extra new oil pan so I can have it fitted for the oil return line bung.

Problem is for the 88-91 cars, the TGP crossover will not fit with that mount.  So you have to either modify the crossover(mine is mint so I dont think I want to cut it up) or have one custom made to sit near where your battery would be(has to be relocated to the trunk).

Curtis Walker did this in his first Cav in the late 90's and it worked rather well.  It was about as fast as his freinds Z28 6spd.  Take a look at www.turboz24.com

91' GT  SOLD
99' Saab Viggen Stg-4 315hp- in European Car Magazine  7/2006
berettaspeed

turbo complexites?

Post by berettaspeed »

Damn that cursed mount....... but i got around that. buy a cheap welder.make your own crossover.

probelm solved.

Best ET 14.313@95.37 N/A
Best MPH 14.438@95.71 N/A
89GT 5spd
3400MPFI & Boost
TurboGTU

turbo complexites?

Post by TurboGTU »

Curtis W. friends Cavi station wagon is a good example of a costom made x-over ment to clear a 5spd with the dreaded mount thats found on all j/L body cars with the 2.8s auto or 5spd.

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.

turbo complexites?

Post by Guest »

thanks for the help so far.. im looking to make enough power to make my friend with a integra shup up.. he talks so much smack.. that and i love the sound of turbo spooling

z284pwr

turbo complexites?

Post by z284pwr »

You may run into some spacing and room issues if you want to use a 14B turbo, I would know......

The size of the turbo after you get the o2 housing bolted on is A LOT larger than a TGP T-25 Turbo.  Oh yeah, and after the O2 Housing is bolted on, your exhaust outlet is going to be shooting the wrong way if you want to put the turbo in the engine bay.  It will end up wtih it pointing straight down where you need it to be shooting backwards *horizontal, not vertical.  Next problem will be with compressor outlet, shooting upwards, right into your hood, so you would have a major 90* bend to make it work.

You best bet is to go with a different turbo unless you want to attempt what I did and what the 2.8 Turbo setup does and have the turbo behind under the firewall.  Then you have to worry if you can get it high enough for the turbo to drail the oil or use a scavange oil pump, and hopefully get the exhaust out the back without getting in the way of the sway-bar.

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
berettaspeed

turbo complexites?

Post by berettaspeed »

but can;t he rotate the housings??? thats what i had to do to mine???

Best ET 14.313@95.37 N/A
Best MPH 14.438@95.71 N/A
89GT 5spd
3400MPFI & Boost
I-GOT-BOOST

turbo complexites?

Post by I-GOT-BOOST »

(berettaspeed @ Nov. 02 2005,19:58)Q
U
O
T
Ebut can;t he rotate the housings??? thats what i had to do to mine???
Yes.  All he has to do is loosen up the bolts on the housings and rotate the housings until they are pointing in the right direction, and then tighten the bolts back up.  The center section doesn't care at all about the orientation of the housings.

Quote of the week:

"A cam is only too big if it won't go into the block, and a turbo is only too big if you can't close the hood."
1988GTU

turbo complexites?

Post by 1988GTU »

I can turn mine too, but then I'd have to fab up an actuator mount.  
I might want to fab that mount now    .

_________
-------------
nocutt

turbo complexites?

Post by nocutt »

Warning: This isn't theory  
The mitsubishi turbos are not like the garrett turbos in regards to housing been clocked...
* the 14b have a jacked up setup...they require a circlip to remove the band clamp holding the housing to the CHRA
* also you are completely at the mercy of the internal W/G as far as clocking...you don't want the actuator to be too 'misaligned'...
good luck...

1988GTU

turbo complexites?

Post by 1988GTU »

Sooo am I safe to turn it?

_________
-------------