2.8 with Grand Prix Turbo?

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
GTU89

2.8 with Grand Prix Turbo?

Post by GTU89 »

I am gonna try and get a turbo from a TGP, How much power would a 2.8 w/ a TGP Turbo make? Also, I'm guessing my GTU will need the TGP computer? Is it relatively easy to do? I'll be getting help from my dad.

And will the stock 3 speed hold up? I'm guessing it'll make ~190-200 hp and maybe 200-240tq? Stock specs for a 2.8 Beretta are 130hp(?) and 180tq.

SuzukiGhostRider

Re: 2.8 with Grand Prix Turbo?

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

GTP's (Mclaren's) made 205 hp at 5200 rpm and 225 ft lbs of torque at 2100 rpm.

So, yeah, you can expect about the same on a 2.8L. The 3.1L's just had an increased stroke. So you may see slightly less power.

You'll need the TGP injectors , complete turbo setup including cross over pipe and down pipe and the ECM.

BE AWARE THOUGH: The TGP used upgraded internals in the motor (ie: forged vs cast) BECAUSE it was boosted from the factory. You may blow your motor if you're not careful!

As to the 3t40 transmission ,the TGP's came with a 4t60 (NOT electronic) O/D transmission to handle the increased power and torque. I'm willing to bet you'll shatter that 3t40 relatively quickly.

88gtz

Post by 88gtz »

I have a 4t60 hd out of a 67xxx mile turbo gram prix, I don't have any use for it since I'm putting the turbo 3.1 into my 89 5 speed.

mickaz

Post by mickaz »

the 3.1 that was used for the TGP did not have any forged pistons,only hypereutectic.
if you use the TGP setup...Buy a tuner and start reading about it. RELIABLE boost is more complicated then it seems.

Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner
SuzukiGhostRider

Here's a nice little mild GTP monster. 5 speed swapped. Do like! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzQ4hMTTtc

GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

Okay, so I should probably lower the boost (if possible on a oem turbo) so the tranny and engine don't blow? There's a 3.1 and Auto tranny with it for $150 bucks near me for sale. Would I be better off just buying that and eventually turbo'ing it? I just wanna turbo my 2.8 because its much less work than doing a swap.

Offtopic, @SuzukiGhostRider There is a GTZ where I live that looks EXACTLY like yours in your sig, Its all stock (or atleast looking, don't know about performance wise) and it looks really clean like someone really likes it and takes care of it. I always look over at it when I see it lol

mickaz

Post by mickaz »

keep the 2.8 and turbo it.even if you blow it, they are a dime a dozen at the junkyard just get another one for cheap. 2.8 are as potent as the 3.1, they feel like more rev happy.

Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner
SuzukiGhostRider

Well, the 3.1L actually has about 20 more ponies than the 2.8L but yeah, what Mickaz said. They're a dime a dozen and dirt cheap. I don't think you'll really hurt it too bad. I'd be more worried about the trans than anything.

On the Quasar Z front, it may be my car. Mine's usually shined up pretty good! But I don't think you live by me,lol.

ronaconda

Post by ronaconda »

I really wouldn't worry about the trans unless it has high miles and you plan on beating the crap out of it. Even though the TGP trans is considered a "heavy duty" trans, that particular trans version was only offered in the TGP. The 4t60 is essentially a 3t40 with an extra gear...in fact, there is a write-up where someone tore apart a 3t40, a 4t60, and a 4t65 to see which parts were better and determined that the run-of-the-mill 4t60 parts were actually weaker than those of the 3t40/TC125. My advice is if you plan on adding a turbo, do some research and do it the right way and rebuild the existing engine AND trans so it will handle the extra power.

BTW...i found a TPG in the yard in Salt Lake and i am planning on going back in a couple of weeks. The only things missing were the turbo and intercooler so if you (or anyone rather) want something off of it, let me know.

SuzukiGhostRider

I'm not buying that. The 4t60 is a tougher trans all the way around. Whoever said the 3t40 has BETTER quality parts is utterly and COMPLETELY full of crap, and you're naive if you actually believe it.

Also the 4t60 was available in MORE than the GTP. It was NOT specially built for just that model. Also naive and bad intel.

For instance, my Achieva S has the 4t60 and it's definitely not a TGP......

88gtz

Post by 88gtz »

From my searches there is extra clutches in the 4t60 "HD" and larger cooling lines, I find it hard to believe they have a different name for a trans that's the same as all others :shock: as to the 3t40 being stronger I can't say but its hard to believe my .02

91 GMC Syclone
88 GTU 330k
89 GTU 5 speed
93 GTZ quaser quad
93 GT Garnet 5 speed
01 2500 HD
77 K-10
64 El Camino Ls1-T56
94 Z26 (parts car) rust belt rust bucket
scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

ronaconda wrote:I really wouldn't worry about the trans unless it has high miles and you plan on beating the crap out of it. Even though the TGP trans is considered a "heavy duty" trans, that particular trans version was only offered in the TGP.
^^^ This is correct info! The 4T60-HD was ONLY available for the 89-90 TGP!

SuzukiGhostRider wrote: Also the 4t60 was available in MORE than the GTP. It was NOT specially built for just that model. Also naive and bad intel.
^^^ This is incorrect info... I thought you were a Pro Tech for GM in the early 90's!? You should really know things like this...!

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
SuzukiGhostRider

Yeah, right. No, I AM correct. I have a 4t60 sitting in the yard right NOW in an '94 Olds Achieva S , so yeah. Nice try though.

berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

yeah you guys are fighting over the 2 different variations of that tranny in case ya didnt know... the difference being a couple 'Heavy Duty' parts?

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
SuzukiGhostRider

LoL. I realize they're trying to make the trans "special" because GM slapped an HD label on it with a few insignificant "upgrades" if you can call them that.

I'm trying to make them BOTH understand that 4t60's were around as far back as 1984 and came in cars until 1996. But you know, you can lead a horse to water.......

You can find 4t60's in Cutlass Cierra's, Achieva's, and a variety of front wheel drive cars, but hey, I must be wrong because ... Oh wait, I'm not wrong.