Project Cojones Updated

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Robert 89gt

Re: It's Geetee; and I have a GTU and a 3400 engine

Post by Robert 89gt »

I did get more vibration after the soild trans mount.
But like i said it really helps a lot with wheelhop=)
I'd rather that then a broken axle. It's also much harder to fall alseep on a long road trip now.lol

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Mine has some vibration too at idle, but I haven't noticed it driving...just the jerky shifts...and that was only with my new slave line.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
LOLVTEC

Post by LOLVTEC »

Quick question, on flywheel bolts, should I use red or blue loctite? I went and bought some red the other day thinking that was what you wanted to use on those... can't remember.

90 Beretta GTZ
93 Beretta GT
89 Beretta GTU
95 Beretta Z26
95 Aurora
07 Colorado Xtreme
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I use red. You definitely do not want them coming out.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
LOLVTEC

Post by LOLVTEC »

Jon, was the tap you had to use for the coolant sensor 3/8th NPT? That's the only thing I need to know before I tap for this hole in my machine shop class tomorrow.

Got most everything in today, new gas tank, fuel sending unit, all gaskets are in, have 2 2" flex pipes coming tomorrow.

Another question, I noticed when I pulled my oil pan off, there was some rtv or some kind of sealer dabbed on the corner of outtr crank mains and the inside? Of the oil pan... (right by the ends of the crank... When I put the pan back on am I supposed to mimic that? (I've never done this before this will be my first all around engine job that I actually finish...). Other than that the engines about ready to go back together.

Took my midshaft bracket to a machine shop yesterday to get it remade, $40 for that didn't seem too bad.

90 Beretta GTZ
93 Beretta GT
89 Beretta GTU
95 Beretta Z26
95 Aurora
07 Colorado Xtreme
LOLVTEC

Post by LOLVTEC »

Ok, I'm running into a bit of a snag here as far as figuring out what to tap and where. Here's the deal.

I, for the life of me, can only find one temp sensor on my original 2.8. Keep in mind my car has digital dash, I don't know if that means anything but it already meant that I had to buy a different fuel sending unit than a 2.8 with analog gauges...

I did however find a connector that looked a lot like the pigtail end of the so-called "one-wire" sensor that's supposed to be tapped into the head.

I did not find a 3 pin/3wire temp sensor on the old 3400, at least not that I can find. I did find the 2 pin and it was right by the thermostat on the LIM.

It looks very much like the temp sensor I pulled out of my 2.8's thermostat housing, probably the same part.

Beyond that, I don't see any place on the 3500 intakes or heads, for a temp sensor of this type (2 wire/2 pin)... Unless I'm of course missing something, or are you supposed to drill this hole on the side of the rear head even bigger and tap for this sensor?

I referenced to the picture Jon took of Roberts build and it appears that this sensor I'm speaking of ended up in that postition, lower left of the head (the sensor I had was way to big in thread diameter obviously).

Again, I can't find any place on my 2.8 where the other sending wire for the gauges goes... I've tried to search online for where to find it but no dice so far. Just need to know specifically what I need to do as far as drilling and tapping so I can get this motor together.

90 Beretta GTZ
93 Beretta GT
89 Beretta GTU
95 Beretta Z26
95 Aurora
07 Colorado Xtreme
Carson21R

Post by Carson21R »

my 89 had one in the head and one by the LIM.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

This picture is a stock 3.1 Dash sensor in the corner of the head, I'm not positive on what NPT thread that is but just bring it with you to thread gauge it... the one on the side of the head is a stock 3500 sensor, those fit the 3400 plugs that came with only the two pin sensors. The newer 3400's 00+ came with only a two pin coolant sensor like the 95 and older beretta's but they didn't need an extra sensor for the dash because that is run by the ECU directly.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
LOLVTEC

Post by LOLVTEC »

Ok, makes sense. I need a 3500 coolant temp sensor to fit those threads in the side of the head, but has the same connector as the 3400 or what I already have in my car... Thanks Jon.

I guess what I don't understand is why do all the 3400 swap guides I read talk about using a 3 wire /3 pin sensor? Are they talking about splicing the connectors together for the clip to avoid drilling and tapping for an extra sensor? Or is that for a different application like 94+ direct swaps?

I can't find that one sensor (that you tapped the 3500 head for on the corner) on my engine anywhere... anyone know where it would be? There was only one sensor I found close to the thermostat housing/TB area.

90 Beretta GTZ
93 Beretta GT
89 Beretta GTU
95 Beretta Z26
95 Aurora
07 Colorado Xtreme
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

That sensor should be on the back corner of your rear head IIRC... just like a 94-95 style Beretta.

The 3400 swap guides talk about doing the three pin since the 96-99 GA's came with a 3 pin sensor, in 00 they changed it but since the threads are all the same you can still use that three pin on a newer 3400 in a 96-99 car. The biggest reason for a Beretta swap to do it though is the third pin on that sensor will replace the head sensor on a 94-95 beretta or the older Grand AM as well so you do not have to drill and tap the head you just re-wire that lead to the new sensor... best for a direct swap thats not being re-built which was the way it went when that guide was written.

I'm sure I could have figured out a way to use a 3 pin sensor on Roberts 3500 stuff but that would require drilling a hole in the LIM so it mimicks the 3400 setup, then plugging the head hole, OR re-drilling the hole in the head, but where that hole is located is so close to the head mating surface I did not feel comfortable opening it up to fit the old style sensor, it was easier to drill and tap the smaller hole when the head was off the car and then just use the original sensor designed for his dash.

All bets are off when it comes to the temp sensor on 3500 parts since its all different, the guide really can't help you there. Hell I took a 3 pin sensor and had it turned and re-tapped to match the 3500 style sensor so I could just plug that into my 96 harness. Sometimes you machine off to far and the sensor will break though so its not the best way to go. If my sensor dies I'll need to re-make one, OR find another way to make it work with the 96 style sensor, which means making a new hole for the 3pin sensor, set it up for two sensors like Roberts, or find a way to feed the dash with an output from the ECU.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
LOLVTEC

Post by LOLVTEC »

That 3500 coolant sensor is a 2 pin right? Or did it go back to a 3 pin? I just want to make sure I have the right one when I order my new sensors today. Otherwise i suppose I could just redrill and retap the same hole you used for the sensor that originally came in my car...

I'm starting to think that my car doesn't have that 2nd temp sensor for the gauges... Is this where you're talking about it being normally? Trans side head:

Here's where the other one is:
I already pulled it off. I've scowered the engine trying to find the other one, I'm thinking digital dashes only had one...?

90 Beretta GTZ
93 Beretta GT
89 Beretta GTU
95 Beretta Z26
95 Aurora
07 Colorado Xtreme
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

digi dash might have only had one, I'm not positive but yes since that hole is plugged I wouldn't search any further.

As far as the 3500...
3X00-Modified wrote:the one on the side of the head is a stock 3500 sensor, those fit the 3400 plugs that came with only the two pin sensors.
This is the explination on why you are wondering why they speak of a 3 pin sensor when your 3400 had a 2 pin sensor
3X00-Modified wrote:The newer 3400's 00+ came with only a two pin coolant sensor like the 95 and older beretta's but they didn't need an extra sensor for the dash because that is run by the ECU directly.
And I already stated my opinion about opening up and re-tapping the stock 3500 location for the larger sensor...
3X00-Modified wrote: re-drilling the hole in the head, but where that hole is located is so close to the head mating surface I did not feel comfortable opening it up to fit the old style sensor
Do as you want, But I wouldn't.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
LOLVTEC

Post by LOLVTEC »

Er sorry that you have to keep reiterating things, half the time when I read this stuff it's after a long ass day of school and work or I've just woken up...

I have factory service manuals for 89-93, I suppose I can check those for information regarding the digital dash and coolant sensor info... Thanks again.

Can you tell me anything about the rtv/sealer i found on the bottom of the block and the oil pan when I was cleaning the surface? They were good side wedges by the crank ends.

90 Beretta GTZ
93 Beretta GT
89 Beretta GTU
95 Beretta Z26
95 Aurora
07 Colorado Xtreme
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yes you need to put sealant at the corners where the rear main cap meets the block, its a sharp corner and the rubber gasket can not seal there perfectly. I also put a think layer over the seam of the front cover to the block... after trimming what part of the gasket is sticks out.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Alpinestar10

Post by Alpinestar10 »

You can get a three wire coolant sensor machined to the correct thread from britichcarconversions.com to bolt onto the heads just be carefull they can snap if overtightened,