Engine Rebuild!

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?

Engine Rebuild!

Post by Guest »

I need your opinion on my 3100 . . . .I just got the engine rebuilt.  . .I had it professionally rebuilt at a machine shop. .  .Is it gonna be really reliable now?? I dont know much about rebuilt engines. Thats why Im asking this stupid question. The guy at the shop said he put in all new parts. So should I worry about anything?? I just wanted to know if my car is like new now since it has 0 miles?? Does that mean I can get another 10 years on it??

zach82

Engine Rebuild!

Post by zach82 »

As long as you break it in properly and they used quality parts for the rebuild you should get years of reliable driving out of the new engine.

It also depends on just how far they went with the rebuild; often they don't do anything with the crank as well as a few other parts when they rebuild engines unless you pay to have them do it.

1994 Purple Pearl Base (RWD conversion project)
1973/77 Ford 3/4 ton 4X4 long bed
1987 Suzuki Samurai / heavily modded
My site  http://www.zcm82.net

Engine Rebuild!

Post by Guest »

The idea of it being "reliable" well yes you need to make sure you break it in.  But also think about the suspension and tranny. But its a start to a good car.  But I would think that it should last awhile just make sure you check the fluids a lot because sometimes if you put on new pistion rings it might leak some oil and but thats part of the breaking in process.  Thats if they went that far down.  

Just a question how much did it cost you and how long was it in the shop for?  ALso what year is it?

IsaacHayes

Engine Rebuild!

Post by IsaacHayes »

Hard to say unless we know what they did.

My 94 3100 has 180,000 miles on it, and it's running strong. Intake valves look clean and it burns no oil. I've had to replace the lower intake manifold gasket twice though. That's common on these motors. If it were to leak coolant inside the motor then it can damage the bearings, perhaps that's why you needed a rebuild?

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

Engine Rebuild!

Post by Guest »

you should have another shop do a leak down test on the cyl's, dyno test poss?, emissions check? as long as engine is within ALL GM factory specs it should be reliable for a long time. (as long as associated sys. are ok also)

Engine Rebuild!

Post by Guest »

the rebuild cost me 1700 and 200 for the timing cover cuz it was cracked, they showed me it. . .the camshaft broke into TWO! What would cause that? My engine was in the shop for about a good 6 days. my Z26 is a 96

wicked-irocz

Engine Rebuild!

Post by wicked-irocz »

at that price it better be reliable.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
IsaacHayes

Engine Rebuild!

Post by IsaacHayes »

Ouch. Camshaft broke in half? I know they are hollow, but DAMN!?!?!?
I want to know too!!

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...