89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
wicked-irocz

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by wicked-irocz »

Quote (I-GOT-BOOST @ Apr. 30 2005,17:42)Quote (wicked-irocz @ Apr. 30 2005,15:58)What are you doing for a wastegate?
The syclone turbo has an internal wastegate. If you look close you can see the arm for the wastegate puck on the exhaust housing. It just doesn't have the actuator bolted on to it.
I saw that, I was wondering if he was going with a standerd wastegate actuator or if he was going to use a boost controler?  guess I didnt ask the question very well.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
berettaspeed

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by berettaspeed »

yeah i failed to meet my deadline. by far. and still is not done but i rather do it good than quick and crapy.
some updates...my parts just came in today around noon. i still am not done but most of the pipes are finished.
As you can see i had to redo some of my mounting because of the clearence. also some mounts will be mated to the trans mount. slowly will be mounted tot he engine/trans. a flex exhaust is easier to make than a solid turbo mounting..
my radiator hoes is going to be modded with boilling water..hehe then it should be fine. its not touching anything but its very close to crossover. My intake pipes is very close to the exhaust. but there is not much i can do there. BOV flange has not come yet. i don't know where im putting that. My extra injectors im making a steel bung for them. the lines are basicly made but not installed yet.

pipes sizes. turbo to iC 2" IC to engine 2 1/4" then to 2 1/2"
Exhaust is 2 1/4" and under car will be 2 1/2"

enjoy...

Best ET 14.313@95.37 N/A
Best MPH 14.438@95.71 N/A
89GT 5spd
3400MPFI & Boost
nocutt

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by nocutt »

You know if I had 4 thumbs I will give 'em all to you...well I guess I can give up the big toes...lol!!
Look-ingood-in  

berettaspeed

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by berettaspeed »

thanks, i have been running into...not having the things i need problems.LOL

but i have alot of things i don't know about yet. like my extra injectors how i want to do it exactly and how neat it will look. and the best place to put the BOV.  also an external wastegate i want to put in. I decided to do my intake pipes first so i can see where would be the best spot. but ity looks like not much room.

The sad thing is i spent a total of maybe 6-8 days working on this thing. well maybe a bit more on the other intercooler, but as far as welding and fabing goes, id say 5 days. LOL

any thoughts anyone..... i have a few but i just want to see if there is something i have not thought of. alos my oil return line is goning to be "iffy" not a very clear path.

Best ET 14.313@95.37 N/A
89GT 5spd
3400MPFI & Boost
berettaspeed

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by berettaspeed »

Just alittle bit of work tonight. Made some brackets for my accuator(SP) 3/8" rod and washers. LOL hey it works. and yes the wastegatse flaper thing clears the intake pipes just a bit. but with the engine moving i don't know if it will hit it. but i can grind that a bit or dent the intake pipe if needed.
My wleding skills have gotten better. very little grinding. just grinded the splatter mostly. i also painted the intake pipes with aluminum paint. high heat 1200 degrees. baked it @ 300 degrees for 1 hour. so it should not melt off from the exhaust. IC pipes i painted flat black so you can't see them as easy. the exhuast i painted just to see if it will hold up but it will be covered with header wrap. same thing with the crossover.

Friday(tommorow) ill have my oil lines and coolant lines hooked up.....??? meaning i can start it at least.....mmm
can't drive it though.... no extra fuel...yet.

Some clearance shots

Best ET 14.313@95.37 N/A
89GT 5spd
3400MPFI & Boost
nocutt

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by nocutt »

At least you have a welding skill...I weld things that will never be seen  but fab'n  I am 101%...coming really good, just remember "measure twice and cut once" or is it the other way round ÂÂÂ

Quick question?...what kind of air filter will you be using???...it looks like you are about to be begging for space!?!?

Edit: I think I see what you are going to do!!

wicked-irocz

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by wicked-irocz »

for the oil side, where are you getting the pressurized oil and where on the pan are you cutting the hole for the return?  On my car there is a plug (1/4" npt looks like) that is right near the oil filter adapter and looks to be a pressurized oil port but I have not removed it yet to check.  Anyone have any info on this?  Are you going to pull the sending unit out and tee it there?  The return line does look like fun even though I have a auto and you have a manual I can imagine it'll be about the same.  I figure that even if it is only an inch and a half from the bottom it wont really matter once the engine is running.  Are you going to pull the pan or just put it in and drain the oil?

To many mods to list

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
berettaspeed

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by berettaspeed »

damnit i can't get my oil pan wleded today.. GRRRR  its out. i need to learn how to weld aluminum. oh wait ill need more money and another welder.

oil in --- tee the oil pressure switch.

hell no man messure 4 or 5 times cut longer than needed just incase then cut to size. LOL

2 1/2 hole saw does wonders to fender walls. LOL

Best ET 14.313@95.37 N/A
89GT 5spd
3400MPFI & Boost
I-GOT-BOOST

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by I-GOT-BOOST »

Looks like things are coming along pretty well. When do we get to take a test drive?

Quote of the week:

"A cam is only too big if it won't go into the block, and a turbo is only too big if you can't close the hood."

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by Guest »

I am doing the same project but i am not sure how i am going to make this thing work. I have a 3400 engine coming soon and i want to find a manual tranny.  How did you make this art!

z284pwr

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by z284pwr »

Yeah, its been almost a month, any updates?  No oil pan welded yet? Get movin    

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
rweatherford

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by rweatherford »

If you had a table grinder with a wire wheel you could have easily cleaned up those pipes before painting them.  That splatter should have come right off.  The welds on the pipes aren't horrible, but the ones to the flanges are too cold.  It will all probably stay together though.

My welding skills are WAY better than they were when I did my car.   I can listen to a wire welder and set the speed.  I would like to do it all over again.  Perhaps in a few years.  I just took all the insurance and tags off of it today.  If I fix the exhaust manifold leak I'll just tow it to the track.  With the money I save I can fix the car.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

wicked-irocz

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by wicked-irocz »

(rweatherford @ Aug. 25 2005,21:22)Q
U
O
T
EI'll just tow it to the track.  With the money I save I can fix the car.
Not cool Rex, you know you need to drive it there.  A beretta, even yours, is just as much about turning as it is about going straight.  

To many mods to list

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
TurboGTU

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by TurboGTU »

How about drilling a 3/8-1/2 hole and tapping it for a treaded pipe...instead of welding sometihg on there for the oil return. Just avoid the Mains.

Im wondering why you didn't take the easy way with the TGP chip and TDC injectors or so. That way you can just switch chip for your stock one if you change your mind.

Well Lets keep hearing those updates.
Im almost done with mine. Just needs fluids and minor chip tunning    and shes ready. Can't get a oil cooler to fit, dang  AC. Dam aluminum pans won't work aither not matter what.  Thought I could drill out Steel pan hole patter for it  . But oh well. Maybe a complete 3*00 if this engine fails.  

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.
berettaspeed

89GT 5spd 3400 Turbo

Post by berettaspeed »

Yeah i could have gone with the TGP chip and stuff. but i could not find any. and don't have any e-bay accounts. plus i never checked into it. plus with the AIC i can control it more, i won't need anyone to burn anything. cause my car will run perfecly like it did with no boost, but when the boost kicks in ill have total control over the fuel.  oh i have pan welded just becasue tapping the aluminum..... i just wanted that extra seal. so its welded. also all my lines are all hooked up and BOV welded in and such. my drain tube is still aproblem i hope it doesnt crap out on me. but its -8 and the in is -6.

i was going to start it but i have no gauges at all. or my wideband or fuel pump yet.  but i just wanted to start it and check for leaks in the crossover and such. oh well.. rent is due and again i don't have everything i need. i have alot more money from overtime but i have worked 13 days in a row so days off to work on the thing ZERO!!  its not goin to the track anytime soon. i hate myself im too slow

most people are concerned with the fuel and air mixing with an AIC in the intake on our cars but under boost if your having problems with them mixing, you have other problems LOL.

Best ET 14.313@95.37 N/A
89GT 5spd
3400MPFI & Boost