Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
QuadPowah

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by QuadPowah »

Q
U
O
T
Euse a turbo off a diesel (or at least a GM turbo)

Diesel turbos are not the same as a gasoline turbo.

1990 GTZ
1993 GT 3.1 Auto
1989 GTU 3x00 5speed
1994 Geo Metro I3 5speed
1995 Aurora 4.0 Northstar
nocutt

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by nocutt »

(QuadPowah @ Dec. 28 2005,17:00)Q
U
O
T
EQ
U
O
T

On the contrary...for all intense and purpose...they are the same units  

RebelGT

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by RebelGT »

he might be thinking superchargers are differ, isn't there a coating they put on the rotors for gasoline vs diesel in non mpfi applications?

Phantom GTZ

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by Phantom GTZ »

(red92gt @ Dec. 28 2005,00:36)Q
U
O
T
Ehere is the problem(S) with the set up you propose. 1. ford and dodge (crap) on a chevy, have you gone mad? dont cross breed! use a turbo off a diesel (or at least a GM turbo) make your own pipes.- 2. more boost means you need more fuel, you will be starving for fuel, unless you spice up the batch. 3. cam timing very important. 4. you will be forever known as the "lord of the rings" if you over pressurize, (or worse). 5. you must control the waste gate some how. 6 you MUST move the air intake temp and air flow meters. 7. stock cat will not flow enough to support two turbos, (maybe one) exhaust will find a way out, if it dont blow the pipes apart the head bolts will snap in two. If you really want alot more power from under your hood e-mail me and I'll tell you how to swap a 4-cam alm. head 3.4 into your beretta. (go from 150-160hp to 350-400hp in a weekend.)(with no tubro or nos)e.t.'s at 11sec.+or-
-GM doesn't really make turbos

-More octane doesn't mean the car is tuned for boost.

-Diesel Turbos more often than not require more than 3.1 liters of displacement to see boost before 6000 RPM.

-Cam timing is on or near the bottom of your list for things to address while constructing a well tuned application.

-Engine failure is almost NEVER due to too much boost.  Bad tuning is.

.......Thats all I got.  I looked at the rest of the post and vomited several times....

nocutt

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by nocutt »

(Phantom GTZ @ Dec. 29 2005,13:14)Q
U
O
T
E(red92gt @ Dec. 28 2005,00:36)Q
U
O
T
Ehere is the problem(S) with the set up you propose. 1. ford and dodge (crap) on a chevy, have you gone mad? dont cross breed! use a turbo off a diesel (or at least a GM turbo) make your own pipes.- 2. more boost means you need more fuel, you will be starving for fuel, unless you spice up the batch. 3. cam timing very important. 4. you will be forever known as the "lord of the rings" if you over pressurize, (or worse). 5. you must control the waste gate some how. 6 you MUST move the air intake temp and air flow meters. 7. stock cat will not flow enough to support two turbos, (maybe one) exhaust will find a way out, if it dont blow the pipes apart the head bolts will snap in two. If you really want alot more power from under your hood e-mail me and I'll tell you how to swap a 4-cam alm. head 3.4 into your beretta. (go from 150-160hp to 350-400hp in a weekend.)(with no tubro or nos)e.t.'s at 11sec.+or-
Q
U
O
T
E-GM doesn't really make turbos

It depends on what you mean by "really"...do they have a division that specializes in turbos?...Yep!! Do they have a division that make turbocharger component?...not that I have heard off...

Q
U
O
T
E-Diesel Turbos more often than not require more than 3.1 liters of displacement to see boost before 6000 RPM.

do you mind pls clarifying this statement?

Q
U
O
T
E... I looked at the rest of the post and vomited several times....

ROFLOL...hahhaha!!

berettaspeed

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by berettaspeed »

F(**** that. DOHC heads on the OHV block?? how the hell could you do that?. what are you going to do with the big hole in the block from the OHV cam???

i rather twin turbo my beretta.

Best ET 14.313@95.37 N/A
Best MPH 14.438@95.71 N/A
89GT 5spd
3400MPFI & Boost
scrappy

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by scrappy »

(QuadPowah @ Dec. 29 2005,16:00)Q
U
O
T
EQ
U
O
T

They are just bigger. I have a '03 dodge Cummins and I have upgraded the turbo. A friend wanted to use my stock turbo on a LS1(I have a 359 and the LS1 is 350cid) and I was told that the turbo wastegate was too small. it would put out more boost than the engine can with stand (on my diesel I have seen 40+ psi) I am contemplating using it on the 3100 that I have in my beretta. Roughly 1/2 the displacement  in the beretta should be enough to spool the turbo and still keep it manageable for the engine.  or is it still too big  for the engine to spool? it is a Holset HE 351 with a 9cm3 exhaust housing.

'89 white GTU with blue int. Just got a '00 3400 longblock dropped in. more to come.
nocutt

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by nocutt »

More than often the exhaust housings on large displacement diesels are really big...so be cautious...also these large engines don't RPM, that should also be taken into consideration...

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by Guest »

It would have some serious lag with a turbo that big.

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by Guest »

(red92gt @ Dec. 28 2005,00:36)Q
U
O
T
Ehere is the problem(S) with the set up you propose. 1. ford and dodge (crap) on a chevy, have you gone mad? dont cross breed! use a turbo off a diesel (or at least a GM turbo) make your own pipes. 2. more boost means you need more fuel, you will be starving for fuel, unless you spice up the batch. 3. cam timing very important. 4. you will be forever known as the "lord of the rings" if you over pressurize, (or worse). 5. you must control the waste gate some how. 6 you MUST move the air intake temp and air flow meters. 7. stock cat will not flow enough to support two turbos, (maybe one) exhaust will find a way out, if it dont blow the pipes apart the head bolts will snap in two. If you really want alot more power from under your hood e-mail me and I'll tell you how to swap a 4-cam alm. head 3.4 into your beretta. (go from 150-160hp to 350-400hp in a weekend.)(with no tubro or nos)e.t.'s at 11sec.+or-
1. I wouldnt kick a wild boar in the A** for a DOHC 3.4
2. The drivetrain wouldnt have the balls to survive 350-400HP in these cars.
3. If i had the $$$ to make a 3.1 have 350-400HP i probably would spend it on something with 8 Cylinders which  is alot cheaper to build than a 3.1 with 350-400HP.

Im not saying it cant be done, but it would require alot more time than a weekend, and alot more money than i got and would be willing to spend it on.

All i want is something i can pull up beside a mustang gt and have no worries about getting left behind.

If only i knew as much as this guy

TurboGTU

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by TurboGTU »

I have a Duramax turbo on my GTU. I get actuator set boost at 3K rpm. Laggy..yea...but its worth it and good for traction.

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.
1988GTU

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by 1988GTU »

(berettaspeed @ Dec. 31 2005,20:05)Q
U
O
T
Ewhat are you going to do with the big hole in the block from the OHV cam???
JB~Weld will take care of that huge hole.  

j/k

_________
-------------
QuadPowah

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by QuadPowah »

Q
U
O
T
EOn the contrary...for all intense and purpose...they are the same units  

Well... A master mechanic I know told me it wouldn't be wise to use one on another application, something to do with oil or the blades in the turbos.

1990 GTZ
1993 GT 3.1 Auto
1989 GTU 3x00 5speed
1994 Geo Metro I3 5speed
1995 Aurora 4.0 Northstar
z284pwr

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by z284pwr »

(QuadPowah @ Jan. 03 2006,05:04)Q
U
O
T
EQ
U
O
T
EOn the contrary...for all intense and purpose...they are the same units ÂÂÂ

Well... A master mechanic I know told me it wouldn't be wise to use one on another application, something to do with oil or the blades in the turbos.
Did he also tell you that you should use a turbo that would be on a 4 cyl. car to be used on a 10 cyl car just because they are both gas engines?

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
MAJ28

Turboing a bonestock 3.1

Post by MAJ28 »

(z284pwr @ Jan. 03 2006,13:06)Q
U
O
T
E(QuadPowah @ Jan. 03 2006,05:04)Q
U
O
T
EQ
U
O
T
EOn the contrary...for all intense and purpose...they are the same units ÂÂÂ

Did he also tell you that you should use a turbo that would be on a 4 cyl. car to be used on a 10 cyl car just because they are both gas engines?
And how many "master mechanics" tell you that you can't put a 3400 in a 3.1 Beretta?  

I'd love to see 3.4 DOHC heads function on a 3.1, I'm laying the bs card.

»J

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚