Chip Burning

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?

Chip Burning

Post by Guest »

I'm currently trying to resolve as well as gain some power out of my OBD2 3.1. My problem is that the stock air intake fell to pieces so we installed an aftermarket intake on it and now the idle is too high. It is receiving too much air and I mentioned it to a friend of mine as well as my father whom works at GM and a guy there he talks to said that it is possible to be able to slow it down by changing the air/fuel ratios. The question is, Is there a way that I can burn or remap the chip or another chip as you can with an OBD1 to program my own settings? I'm also looking at datalogging it to a laptop as well. Are there any suggestions to this or not.

spacecadetz26

Chip Burning

Post by spacecadetz26 »

Digital Horsepower Inc.

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package

Chip Burning

Post by Guest »

I deeply searched through that site and upon the dealers they sell through and could find nothing useful to my OBD2 3100. Any other places?

lllusion

Chip Burning

Post by lllusion »

Unfortunately that is the only place offering tuning hardware/software for 96 ECM's

Hmmmm... what is the part number for your ECM...

I use a BURN1 Unit by moates for tuning.

0 to YAYYYYYY!
-W41 cams
-Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
-Spec Stage III Lightened clutch
-Self Tuned EPROM via Moates
-KYB GR-2's all around
-Eibach Pro lowering springs

Chip Burning

Post by Guest »

The part number right now at this time is unsure. I have yet to check the computer. I have come across some information though as to remapping/burning. I emailed xenocron about the Willem chip burner and got a reply as follows:

If your OBD2 ECU accepts and Eprom that the Willem supports, then you should be ok.  Unfortunately, I know nothing about Beretta OBD2 ECUs so that’s all I can tell you.

I am for sure though that the ECU is the same as the grand prix, corsica, cavalier, and of course the beretta for as long as they used the OBD2 3100 series engine-ECU combination. I'm gonna try to look deeper into this matter and throw some ideas and what not to some friends of mine that are heavily into this.

Thanks for the help and if you come across anything by chance then I would appreciate it if you would inform me about it.

rweatherford

Chip Burning

Post by rweatherford »

I guess I need to know what you mean my "aftermarket intake"  Is this a different intake manifold and throttle body?

Reason I ask is because your problem sounds like a simple one that could be caused by something as simple as a vacuum leak.

An aftermarket intake system (from TB to filter) should have NO effect on idle, etc..  The OBD2 ECM has a MAF sensor (you DID leave that in the system right??) and can compensate much better to modifications than the older non MAF systems.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Chip Burning

Post by Guest »

Aftermarket intake such as a cone filter attached. We checked for any vacuum leaks and found that none were faulty or disconnected. The engine is pulling too much air and the ECU isn't able to compensate that from what we were told by someone else who had this happen. The MAF sensor is indeed in the exact place from where it was stock. At this point it is the only thing left that hasn't been checked and has "some" reason to believe that this is the cause (intake filter). And as well in this case we are trying to fix it by remapping it would be in good use later on with other vehicles too.

z284pwr

Chip Burning

Post by z284pwr »

I still go with Rex, I find it hard to believe a simple air intake can cause that much of a difference.  Simple because at idle it would be going thru a simple passage way anyways that is so small an intake shouldn't be able to change that.....I say idle motor is screwed up or vacuum leak still.

Edit - Or the TB is possibly stuck open slightly at idle, which can cause that too

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto

Chip Burning

Post by Guest »

That's my ECU to my beretta. We found that there is a considerably good size burn area on the board. would that possibly be why it would idle fast as well?