Possible Northstar V8

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Possible Northstar V8

Post by 3X00-Modified »

AutoX88GT wrote:as far as actually fitting, people put these engines in fieros all the time plus this guy put one in a cavalier! http://www.stanceiseverything.com/tag/n ... -cavalier/
You did read the build thread on this correct?

Its fully tubbed, caged and tube chassis setup in that Cavi... Far from "easy to fit"

That car is also scrapped as of now, driveline separated and shell was crushed.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Koots

Post by Koots »

I don't know enough about the Quad4, but a high compression, all motor build or a turbo setup would make for one serious runner.

I like V8's but they just don't belong in a FWD car IMHO, A light turbo 4cyl. will make enough power, while keeping costs down and it can still handle and corner just like it always did.

JeffD

Post by JeffD »

3x00, the rear end was tubbed and tubed with a custom IRS. the front was a tube subframe.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

AutoX88GT wrote:3x00, the rear end was tubbed and tubed with a custom IRS. the front was a tube subframe.
Yeah I know thats what my post says, it was tubbed and tubed and fully custom cradle... and is currently crushed.

Far from just slapping in a Northstar in a Cavi.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

I have made lots of hard to fit things fit a beretta. If you have the motivation to do it give it a try. You will never know for sure how hard or awesome it could be if you never try

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

AutoX88GT wrote:a w41 quad makes 180 hp. I don't know what kind of power you can make with it though...
91-92 W41's make 190HP, 93's make 185hp. A full NA build can makes about 230-240hp roughly.

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Scd88GA, i stand corrected. i am not a Quad guy. 3x00, There are still a good number of N* Fiero builds one could reference. if someone wants to put their mind into something like this let them and inform them, don't discourage.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I'm not discouraging, I'm correcting the posts that were made to make it sound like its cake walk since it fit in a J-body. And to emphasize that the car is no longer around, so that may or may not sway a decision since there is no proof it will even stay together, or perform well enough to make it worth doing.

You can put anything in a Beretta sure, but that person should know to fit that in a cavi that individual had to re-engineer the whole front end, and then on top of that no one knows if that NVG trans would have held up well since he scrapped the whole project, or even if the car was piratical. It's nice to have a huge engine but if all it does is spin tire and break stuff then its pointless.

Pontiac's own v8 FWD GXP didn't last long because the realized how impractical it was. V8 mid engine is a completely different ball game.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
weba

Post by weba »

Someone send me a 4.0L Aurora, and I will put in on my Beretta.

LOLVTEC

Post by LOLVTEC »

I'll sell you my old 4.0 that I'm swapping out for a 4.6 in my Aurora when I finally get it yanked out... ; )

90 Beretta GTZ
93 Beretta GT
89 Beretta GTU
95 Beretta Z26
95 Aurora
07 Colorado Xtreme
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

the only reason i posted about the cavy was to show that with little modification to the bay and custom mounts the big DOHC can fit into an engine bay designed for only a 4 banger. I think the fiero builds would be similar to ours, at least more than a cavy. Time, Money, Ambition and Knowledge are the things needed in any project. if you have those you could do it.
3X00-modified, your names says it all, you have spent alot of time with the v6 engines in the pursuit of power... what kind of power are you putting down? if you assume the its 300hp @the crank and 250tq, then it's not that much different... but I don't know your output... What I am saying is a modified v6 runs into reliability issues, with the engine and trans, if you use a N* you have reliable power and possible problems with the trans and clutch. if you spend your time making the N* fit instead of tearing it apart it would seem that time would be saved. just being economical here.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I don't see how the power output that I have is running into reliability issues. I've driven my car to every bfest since its been built, never gave me any issues and I was far from nice to it at the strips at these events. There are also many others running turbo'd 3400's or SC'd 3400's that are reliable and don't require re-engineering the engine bay.

I went the route I did because I wanted a unique fast car that was reliable and didn't require changing one mount in the bay. Everything I have is near 100% stock mounting for this setup and honestly I wouldn't want it any other way.

I never doubted that it would physically fit, its just the sheer amount of work necessary to get it there that I just don't see as worth it.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
weba

Post by weba »

3X00-Modified, you are so boring ;)

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah I know... I like my AC and 3400 lol

and my 4t60e for that matter... However I am on the fence on getting a 4t65e in there... I don't think I'll have to change anything either.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Well, till you shatter the 4t60e under stress, why change it? lol

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan