building a GTZ

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
zippy

building a GTZ

Post by zippy »

I want to build a GTZ to it's maximum possible without doing anything to change the car drastically (i.e. the CORBERETTA project) and sticking with the 4 cylinder engine. I am specifically talking about a '90 GTZ with a 2.3 DHOC QUAD 4/ 5 Speed manual begining with the car in a "bone stock" state. as I stated before I would know what parts to buy to beef the drivetrain to handle high horsepower if we where talking about a RWD V8 from the 1980's but I'm new to FWD and GM part codes refering to berettas. I'm looking to acheve 300+WHP. Any suggestions from anyone who as performed similar projects is greatly appreciated.

weba

building a GTZ

Post by weba »

Build the shortblock with strong parts and add turbo & standalone engine management, and you'r set.  

I fill up for $130. Also Beretta owner since 2004
rweatherford

building a GTZ

Post by rweatherford »

Turbocharged 300 HP at the wheels is not a problem.  Getting that power to the ground is a real problem.  If you ever get it locked to the ground I would say that you might have problems with transmissions and axles, but you might not.

You basically want a 92-94 Quad4 block, forged pistons, good rods, modified 086 or 753 head and HO or W41 cams.  Then you need some very large injectors and a computer to run everything.  Make sure the turbo is large enough for the task (ask turbonectics or similar vendor for sizing information) .  A good exhaust manifold and down pipe can make a difference in the power department.

The guys over at the Quadforums can help you on your way to lots of boosted fun.  I built mine from scratch.  It was one of the first turbo Quads.  Very primative compared to what can be done now.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

zippy

building a GTZ

Post by zippy »

I'm looking to just build it so I can finish 1st in strait line races against the likes of a WRX STi and SRT-4 turbo neon

rweatherford

building a GTZ

Post by rweatherford »

Without AWD the STI is going to be rather difficult.  That car will have several car length advantages just from the launch.  Similar to the video of my old car racing a WRX.

When stock the SRT-4 is not difficult to beat.

Rex Weatherford

zippy

building a GTZ

Post by zippy »

the deal about transmission and axle problems is the part I'm worried about. Does anyone know of a trans that is quite a bit stronger that is compatible?

zippy

building a GTZ

Post by zippy »

(rweatherford @ Mar. 12 2007,07:41)QUOTEWithout AWD the STI is going to be rather difficult.  That car will have several car length advantages just from the launch.  Similar to the video of my old car racing a WRX.

When stock the SRT-4 is not difficult to beat.
where is this video? I can't seem to find it. also I'm talking like a mile track.

rweatherford

building a GTZ

Post by rweatherford »

http://www.beretta.net/behind_the_wheel ... TZ-256.avi

A mile is a LONG way at WOT from a stop.  Easy 150 MPH at the power level you are talking about.    Racing from 60 MPH takes away most of your FWD disadvantage.

If you are still behind after a 1/4 most people are going to quit racing and you'll do the ricer fly-by.

Rex Weatherford