Firmer shifts?

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
GTU89

Firmer shifts?

Post by GTU89 »

Okay, I know on the older cars you can raise the line pressure and other things for a firmer shift. But I'm not sure about this one.

How would you make the car shift harder? Will tightening the TV cable help or will it just make it shift late and/or have shift overlap? The trans that's in my 'retta is a TH125c now. I haven't been able to find anything so far on doing this. The new trans is shifting fine, but I want it to shift as hard as possible.

And before anyone says shift kit, not an option right at the moment, however if anyone knows where to get a shift kit for a TH125c let me know.

1988GTU

Re: Firmer shifts?

Post by 1988GTU »

A side from dumping money into a shift kit, there's nothing much else you can do without having adverse effects to the other gears. Start saving for a different type of auto trans to swap in or to swap in a 5 speed.

This is coming from a guy that experienced the 3 speed and put a lot of time and even money into many of them.

_________
-------------
Koots

Post by Koots »

Is the shift kit worth the money?

Transgo is a good company, very well regarded in the modern GM transmissions.

My car is gonna be a DD but I know some shift kits for certain transmissions can increase holding power as well as correct some issues.

I'm currently building a TH350 for myself, so i'm not stranger to auto transmissions...but i'm no expert either LOL

DUBS28

Post by DUBS28 »

I have this shift kit installed
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/TH1 ... 049932.htm
I haven't driven it hard enough to give a good review on it yet though. I still have some other issues ro fix before I can test it in track conditions.
There are a couple other kits available here:
http://www.oregonperformancetransmissio ... de=TH125SK

GW Bancroft (on FB)
'91 Black GTZ
'93 Quasar GT 5-Speed (Under Construction)
Koots

Post by Koots »

What's your initial feelings on the shift kit so far?

I have a Superior/Fairbanks kit in the TH350 in my K5, so they are an option as well, but it's more expensive for basically the same thing.

DUBS28

Post by DUBS28 »

Its kinda hard to determine. My trans was dead for 3 years so I finally just pulled a replacement from a salvage yard and had a shady mechanic install the shift kit and swap out the transmissions. The only thing I don't like is that there is a delay from the time you put it in Drive to when it actually engages. Not sure if that is an issue the salvage transmission had or if its caused by the shift kit or due to the shady mechanic not installing something right. Other then that it seems to shift nice and firm.

GW Bancroft (on FB)
'91 Black GTZ
GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

I don't think that's good, my transmissions did that when they would start to crap out.

DUBS28

Post by DUBS28 »

That would be just my luck. I just hope it holds out until I can swap in a 5-speed.

GW Bancroft (on FB)
'91 Black GTZ
Koots

Post by Koots »

I've got no issues with mine, so far. I plan on replacing the TV cable and drive it for a while.

If it is consistent for a month, I will throw a shift kit in it. I don't want hard shifts, but I want a more reliable transmission.

I'm thinking of adding a trans cooler too, I bought one that was too small for my K5 project but should work for the Corsica.

GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

On these cars you have to take the trans out or drop it a bit to put a shift kit in, right?

Koots

Post by Koots »

Transgo says that their shift kit does not require transmission removal to install...which probably does mean you would need to drop it a little to get at it. Shouldn't be too hard though, shift kits are pretty simple once you get down to it.

Koots

Post by Koots »

Well, I ordered the Transgo kit, TV cable and a new TCC solenoid and wiring...So sometime in the near future I will have some info to report back with.

I've already added an aux. trans cooler 8)

Hoping to make one beast of a 2.2 OHV 4dr. Beretta :crazy:

Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

I had a shift kit in my 2.8L Auto and I LOVED it. I don't remember the brand but I don't believe it was either of the ones that Dub listed. And I didn't know you could still get these! Thanks for the links Dubs, I'm going to buy one!

As for some specifics GTU, the kit made the transmission shift harder than factory for sure and damn hard at full throttle. The shifts were clean and concise with no lag. Hell at full throttle the tranny would slam into the new gear. It was awesome.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car
Koots

Post by Koots »

That's good to know, thanks Styluss!

Transgo knows what they are doing when it comes to the 4L60E/4L80E transmissions, I'm sure they put the same quality into their smaller, cheaper kits.

I just want a stronger, more durable transmission. I'd love an OD trans, but the 3spd will still do the trick.