2.2 is blown..engine swap ideas

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
ROLNGTZ

Re: 2.2 is blown..engine swap ideas

Post by ROLNGTZ »

3X00-Modified wrote:
ROLNGTZ wrote:I haven't been here in forever and find this. :ROFL:

Just for the hell of it. :D
How many years did that take? How much HP does it put down? and How quick is it in the 1/4 compared to a Forced Induction 3400/3500 setup?

Not ragging on the swap at all, but the 3800SC is so far and few in between that no one has solid info on it being WAY better than building up and/or turbo charging a 3400/3500 which in my mind is easier to fit since most of the stuff can be pulled from the same car and positioned in stock locations... let alone use a full 96 harness and you can tune with a stock engine management system.
1.) 4 years due to setbacks. Defected cam. To be exact. Recalled cam. Comp Cams manufactured a BAD group. ALL of the group hadto be recalled. Several people ended up with blown motors. Wiring issues, Fuel management issues. Etc.... Thats what you get when you do something that no one else share info about. You learn on your own. Then again, I was working on it myself. I am self employed and I do have a life outside cars. two children and a wife. :D

2.) Stock 240chp/195whp. Not stock thou. But you already knew that. :D The cam alone bumped it to 268chp/214whp. Not to mention headers, CAI, exhaust, high flow cat, theromstat, etc...... Rough estimate is around 300chp/250whp.

3.) Gateway has been closed for over a year(entire 2011 season). They re-opened it this season. I can tell you this much. Sep 2010, I ran in the low 12's. :Yahoo!: Not that I care to share it here. I am not a member of your little clique and don't need yours and anyones acceptance. As for comparing it to a 3500/3400. There is no comparison. 60 foot, 1/8, 1/4, topend. All you would see is my taillights. So stop with grandstanding. You and your little clique of twits are the reason I walked away. Don't need the BS or your acceptance. :Yahoo!: I just like giving you the finger. :burn: ONLY reason I posted. I knew you couldn't resist posting something. :lol:

I have had my fun. Time to go. I am sure you will delete this post. Oh well. BNET will kill whats left of the Beretta community. Just a matter of time. :roll:

2010 Camaro SS-2008 Trailblazer SS 2000-Lincoln LS 1991-Beretta GTZ 3800sc/L67
scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

90°>60°... :good: :D :runsies:

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
Koots

Post by Koots »

What kind of work is it, to swap from 2.2 OHV to 2.3L?

What kinda mileage can you get from the base 2.3L DOHC (150HP)?

I kinda like the idea of turbocharging my OHV, but I do remember liking the pull of a nice Q4.

What about the 2.4 version from the 98+ Malibu?

Sorry for the threadjack, but I felt that the thread took a serious turn LOL

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

Koots wrote:What kind of work is it, to swap from 2.2 OHV to 2.3L?

What kinda mileage can you get from the base 2.3L DOHC (150HP)?

I kinda like the idea of turbocharging my OHV, but I do remember liking the pull of a nice Q4.

What about the 2.4 version from the 98+ Malibu?

Sorry for the threadjack, but I felt that the thread took a serious turn LOL
Get yourself a harness, ECM, mounts, cluster, etc, and it should be fairly easy to swap. I know of 2 quad 4 swapped Corsica's currently.

I get about 25-27 MPG average with my Quad 4 H.O. that has a few mods and the 3.94 FDR getrag 5 speed trans.

The 2.4 Twin Cam would be way more work and is not worth it. GM started using them in 1996 BTW and they are in Cavalier's, Malibu's, Achieva's, Grand Am's, etc. Stick with a 2.3!

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Koots

Post by Koots »

scd88ga wrote:
Get yourself a harness, ECM, mounts, cluster, etc, and it should be fairly easy to swap. I know of 2 quad 4 swapped Corsica's currently.

I get about 25-27 MPG average with my Quad 4 H.O. that has a few mods and the 3.94 FDR getrag 5 speed trans.

The 2.4 Twin Cam would be way more work and is not worth it. GM started using them in 1996 BTW and they are in Cavalier's, Malibu's, Achieva's, Grand Am's, etc. Stick with a 2.3!
That doesn't sound too hard at all.

THat's pretty good mileage for a strong 4-cyl. I know the DOHC Honda's could drink through gas, relatively, with a lead foot.

I only asked because my old coworker has a 98 Malibu with a low mileage 2.4 and the rest of the car needs too much work to get it back on the road. I figured i'd look into buying it from him, but it will stay in that car for now LOL

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

Nothing from a 97+ Malibu deserves a second life! I hate those cars!

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

ROLNGTZ wrote: Sep 2010, I ran in the low 12's. :Yahoo!: Not that I care to share it here.
No one posts falsehoods on the internetbox. :wink:

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

ROLNGTZ wrote:1.) 4 years due to setbacks. Defected cam. To be exact. Recalled cam. Comp Cams manufactured a BAD group. ALL of the group hadto be recalled. Several people ended up with blown motors. Wiring issues, Fuel management issues. Etc.... Thats what you get when you do something that no one else share info about. You learn on your own. Then again, I was working on it myself. I am self employed and I do have a life outside cars. two children and a wife. :D

2.) Stock 240chp/195whp. Not stock thou. But you already knew that. :D The cam alone bumped it to 268chp/214whp. Not to mention headers, CAI, exhaust, high flow cat, theromstat, etc...... Rough estimate is around 300chp/250whp.

3.) Gateway has been closed for over a year(entire 2011 season). They re-opened it this season. I can tell you this much. Sep 2010, I ran in the low 12's. :Yahoo!: Not that I care to share it here. I am not a member of your little clique and don't need yours and anyones acceptance. As for comparing it to a 3500/3400. There is no comparison. 60 foot, 1/8, 1/4, topend. All you would see is my taillights. So stop with grandstanding. You and your little clique of twits are the reason I walked away. Don't need the BS or your acceptance. :Yahoo!: I just like giving you the finger. :burn: ONLY reason I posted. I knew you couldn't resist posting something. :lol:

I have had my fun. Time to go. I am sure you will delete this post. Oh well. BNET will kill whats left of the Beretta community. Just a matter of time. :roll:

wow ok... hold a grudge much? I've never seen you at a Bfest so you don't even know who we are or if you would be "accepted"... you just spout off info on the net and talk down to people, no wonder why you get crap.

There is no comparing because no one has ever posted any Info...

Maybe I should get a 3800 so I can feel like a rebel against the Clique!
scd88ga wrote:90°>60°... :good: :D :runsies:
I think the real debate here is Forced induction or not really; since the ° of the motor is irrelevant. Give me a SC and I bet he'll be seeing my tail lights too, Mars is a great example of that.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

3X00-Modified wrote:
wow ok... hold a grudge much? I've never seen you at a Bfest so you don't even know who we are or if you would be accepted... you just spout off info on the net and talk down to people, no wonder why you get crap.

I was in Beretta Fest Saint Louis back in 2000 when this car was a 3.1. I was also at events several times in Saint Louis after and he knew about them. I have been around the block in this forum I have seen and driven some of the cars from participants in events. This individual and this car have NEVER been to any DECENT event.

He works often..ok...he is a truck driver and used to distance driving.

We could hold beretta fest in 2013 and he wouldn't show up.

Its unfortunate. And its not just him its a repeat of nearly all 3.8 swaps. Some never make it for distance like turbo genIII GTU out in California. The GN swapped one. Matt's 93L67, Only the old school Lemonjuice has returned to bfest...with no incredible claims.

I give him credit for having it built. But if he wants a good reach around...at least show up to an event in something sexy. :wink:

Tylerlp

Post by Tylerlp »

Well....I see that everyone is getting along nicely...anyways I got the swap "done"! I still have some issues to work out but I must say that the three speed with that engine is amazing! It blew my friends grand am out of the water :D but then again it is an se haha I'll post pictures up soon

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

Tylerlp wrote:Well....I see that everyone is getting along nicely...anyways I got the swap "done"! I still have some issues to work out but I must say that the three speed with that engine is amazing! It blew my friends grand am out of the water :D but then again it is an se haha I'll post pictures up soon

Did you end up using the 3 speed?

Tylerlp

Post by Tylerlp »

Yeah and its not bad at all