2.2 is blown..engine swap ideas

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Tylerlp

2.2 is blown..engine swap ideas

Post by Tylerlp »

Well my old 2.2 finally let go of another head gasket and now its time for the infamous swap to a better engine...anybody wanna shoot me some ideas or links to some tutorials?

Barry
Global Moderator

Re: 2.2 is blown..engine swap ideas

Post by Barry »

3.5 lx9 is best but not easiest. 3400 is easy but your going to need a lot of other v6 parts to make it happen, like harness ecu tranny axles, etc

Gtzman

Post by Gtzman »

2.3 haha mine is beast. I know a guy in Illinois that has a bunch of parts could prob even build one for ya lol

96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

has anyone ever mentioned a possible motor swap from a Pontiac Grand Prix (the supercharged one of course :D..)

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

The way I see it, it depends on what you want to spend on the swap.

Personally, if you had the manual combo with that 2.2, I would just swap another one in or rebuild. If its the auto, then yeah, you will want to swap the engine, transmission, harness, ecm, etc over to something else, not to mention some engine mount changes, etc. Lot of work, probably a fair chunk of change.

BTW, the manual tranny with the 2.2 were Isuzu I think, and may crumble under a V6's torque.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

Tylerlp

Post by Tylerlp »

Mine is an auto so I need to figure out what I'm gonna do...if I rebuild this 2.2 I'm going to turbo it, but if I swap engines I'm going to try to do a 3800 sc swap

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Good luck with the 3800SC swap, No one has done one and then proven that its superior to a built 3400 or 3500... the only ones that have been done are hardly active on here and never posted any proof that it's worth all the custom mounts and such to get it to work.

SCD88GA did one in his 88 GA and I think thats the only setup that I've seen times for where he's actually spent the time to build the engine, but I have yet to see someone do a performance 3800 in a Beretta. Also some argue that a 60* v6 is better than the 90* v6 but thats like a Ford vs chevy argument.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Tylerlp

Post by Tylerlp »

Ok well what about doing a swap over to an ecotec engine?

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

That is still going to require at least some mount work, complete engine harness and ECM changeover, and lord knows what else. Not trying to pour water on the flames, but sometimes you have to think realistically. There is what you want to do, and what you can do. lol

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

DTMAce wrote:That is still going to require at least some mount work, complete engine harness and ECM changeover, and lord knows what else. Not trying to pour water on the flames, but sometimes you have to think realistically. There is what you want to do, and what you can do. lol

Yes I agree here, Anything can be swapped in a Beretta its more of what Ace said, what are YOU capable of doing. Once you answer that question then you can better determine the best swap for you.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Tylerlp

Post by Tylerlp »

haha honestly if i set my mind to anything with that car i am going to do it so im pretty confident with what i choose...im just trying to figure out what you guys think

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Tylerlp wrote:Ok well what about doing a swap over to an ecotec engine?
It will last to 100k and then it will start falling apart. The upper mount is more like the 3100/3400. If I had that choice I'd go 3400. As for other engines you could go with a 3.1L. That may be almost a direct bolt in.

keep'em flying!
Tylerlp

Post by Tylerlp »

Money pit Beretta wrote:
Tylerlp wrote:Ok well what about doing a swap over to an ecotec engine?
It will last to 100k and then it will start falling apart. The upper mount is more like the 3100/3400. If I had that choice I'd go 3400. As for other engines you could go with a 3.1L. That may be almost a direct bolt in.
ok so what about performance with the 3400? im wanting this car to fly...im done with the hondas beating that stupid 2.2 haha

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

http://www.WOT-tech.com

But it's not cheap, he's the best provider of ported parts as well as camshafts and such.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Tylerlp

Post by Tylerlp »

Alright...what am I going to need to swap to a 3.1?