Supercharged beretta v6 dynoed

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
lugnutz

Post by lugnutz »

As well as I know Norm it will take more than some thieving b@st@rds to keep him down, his Beretta will be back to its former self in short order.  

Bnet member #21
'91 3.1 5spd --- SOLD
'04 GTO 6spd

Post by Guest »

I bet someone with a honda is trying to figure out how to get everything on their 89 civic DX

Glad to see you are optumistic about all of this... I on the other hand would be scoping out every single car that drives by to see something that belongs to me on it...

Jimz90indy

Post by Jimz90indy »

There is a clear lower panel in the yard on a 91 or 92. I'll score it for ya.  

"Ability is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. "

TurboGTU

Post by TurboGTU »

Im glad it's still fixable. I was thinking you were prob on "OVERHAULING"...    . Yea..thise look like little rokie thieves. Just getting thiers for Crack. I'd hit ebay now and then for unsuspecting SC and Rims and on the local ads and pawshops since crack heads pawn everything they can get thier hands on.

Now you have a better chance of uping the FUN factor.    

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.
Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

Man, yeah I'd be pretty mad in your position, Norm.  I'd pester the cops to find the people, too.  Glad you got it back and it's not too far gone.  I have an extra ignition lock cylinder ('91+ 5-speed if it'll fit) with key, a front lower spoiler, and a front lower deflector if you want any of them.  Also have three GT crosslace wheels, one with a ding in the rim.  Everything would be free, just help with shipping cost

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Good luck Norm!  I'm concerned for your engine.  I'd guess that they ran it till it died and then stripped it.

Hopefully not.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

BerettaLove32

Post by BerettaLove32 »

Good to see you got it back. Bet they try and sell the SC on eBay, if they're really dumb they'll probably even say it's off a beretta in the description. I hate dirty bastards like that, reminds me o when my car was broken into.  

Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

The sparkplugs came out with some resistance.  So I think the head got pretty hot along with the intake plenum.  With the carbon remainig on the plugs the pistons should be fine.  The gaskets and head are my biggest question when subject to high heat.

Maybe:

"Forensic Overhauling"

When someone at work found it was stolen he mantioned to me that someone "Pimped My Ride".  

Norm

Norm -
'88 GT => V8 - http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/ikonbo ... ;f=9;t=261
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

Since the SC and intake were gone I needed something to filter fresh air while I determine the state of the engine.  So I bought an APC intake set up for a 4-cylinder Civivc/Accord:

http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... urn7pl.jpg

For $69.99 from Advance Auto and a few cuts later:

http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0284kb.jpg

This is just a temporary setup but works for now.  The stock mesh style wheels are back on, a new serpentine belt length to accomodate the long one that ran the SC, and a 4.7K resistor in the intake until I get a real IAT.

Norm

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

z284pwr

Post by z284pwr »

That definitely won't be winning any cleanest engine bay contests any time soon
That intake just looks like the 88-91 CRX intake just with the single pipe, and yes it works, any updates on the engine, how it runs, etc.

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
mcgavinz26

Post by mcgavinz26 »

Thats such bullshit because anyone that knows how to pick up what engine parts on your car had aftermarket value knows that it was all custom work.  Also, they know that the car is probably not insured for this sort of theft, so the person will not get the money back.  If someone put my hand on the switch I would have no problem ending the life of a person like that.  You have no right to breath after doing something like that, simple fact.

If you think there is anything I can do to help, contact me, seriously.  I wouldn't mind helping out one weekend or two.

http://www.speedlimit88.com
1994 Z26 - 3400, 5spd, supercharged, propane, megasquirt - RIP
1988 Fiero GT - 5psd, LX9, M90, Megasquirt
1999 Buick Regal GS -daily driver
Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

I got it running but it was running very rough.  One spark plug(rear) had gas on and the coolant reservoir had bubbles coming up through it.  I bled the cooling system and it did not help.  I pulled off head to find an intake valve not seating and no evidence of contact or over revving.  The valve was near end of the head and the headbolt in the corner came off really easy.  So I took off the other head and took them in pressure tested.

I am thinking that since the SC was removed, the serpentine belt was just sitting there not charging the battery and turning the water pump when they drove it and it overheated and drained the battery.  The one head is probably warped, if not cracked.  If nothing is wrong, then the one valve will be RR'ed and go over the others, decarbon and put it back together.  We'll know soon.

But I might need one new head which means it will have to port the bowl and will take the time to port match the lower intake to the head which is visibly mis-matched because of the Extrude Hone on the lower and upper intake.

Along with road salt used in the winter, they started using sodium chloride(sp?).  The local paper had an article showing how it was eating away at delivery truck's electrical systems.  Nasty stuff!  So my engine bay stays user friend and not show ready.  

Norm

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

I just order intake and head gaskets.  The intake gaskets come as a kit.  I have a choice of two head gaskets from Fel-Pro.  One is just basic replacement gasket and the other is considered high performance(Autozone#579251).    No one knows the difference behind the counter.    So I special ordered it to compare.  It should be here Thursday and I can make my decision.

I gasket that were removed had no visible deteriation or signs of detonation and were in good overall shape.

Norm

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

96BlackRoseZ26

Post by 96BlackRoseZ26 »

"We can rebuild it.  Stronger.....Better....Faster........."

Atta boy Norm.  Glad to see you aren't giving up on the ol' girl.  Keep the updates coming!

Have you ever felt like you were flying, but didn't have wings?

Jerry Bickley
02 Navy Blue Metallic Monte Carlo SS
3800 V6/4-Speed Auto

IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Wow, reading so many custom boost hot rodded berettas on here is great to see. I've always wanted to do a CSC like you did in place of the a/c. well you did close to the same thing but switched alt around. I think the CSC is easiest big HP mod you can do, as others require engine swap or turbo with lots more piping and oil return/etc. Perhaps if I ever find a job and my car craps out, I'll turn it into a hot rod 2nd car. 3400 CSC sounds nice. People in my town already know my car is "fast" even though I only think it's "quick". I'd be cool to show them what fast really is! I also have the nicest Beretta in town, and others just end up getting one and then they somehow blow the engine or tear it up.. Yes my car is old, yes it has miles, but for what it is, it's in great shape, handles great, and runs like a beast. So I just can't get rid of it so easy!

I was shocked when they stole your car. Glad you got it back, and I'm glad your're rebuilding it!

I've been away from the boards for too long! Best wishes to ya Norm!  

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...