Supercharged beretta v6 dynoed

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

These cracks around the head bolt holes do not look good since they are right around the coolant jackets. The heads have been resurfaced and about half the guides realigned due to heat.  The heads pressure tested fine.  I was worried as they have bowl work and 3-angle valve job.

So I am at ground zero for a motor build up.  What would you do?

http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0292uo.jpg

http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0309ri.jpg

http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0310vw.jpg

Norm

Norm -
'88 GT => V8 - http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/ikonbo ... ;f=9;t=261
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

z284pwr

Post by z284pwr »

Well, what do you want to do with the car? You want a cruiser or you want to make it fast again?

I'm sure most will say 3400 swap with whatever you decide to put on it.  Maybe be the first to swap in a 3500?  Having the programmable EMS you would have an advantage over anyone in that department.  I'll bet you could sell some of the stuff from your car to make up for it if you wanted *Headers, Intakes, AC bracket, SC bracket?, other stuff, etc. etc. or keep it all and just get another 3.1 and put your intakes/heads on and make it a normal cruiser now that you have the GTO?

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto
Obsessedw/Berettas

Post by Obsessedw/Berettas »

Dang. That sucks. I'm glad you're still going to keep the car!

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."
- C.S. Lewis
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Norm: How about another gen2 block, (did you have a cam?) you could do cam if not. If your heads aren't ok, you could go with 3400heads and intake, those would surely flow better than your gen2 ported stuff... Or get a full 3400 if you can figure out the engine mounts, and you'd need lower compression pistons for it (unless you were running stock compression before)...?

Either way a 3400 top end would surely flow well. At worst you'd need to port/modify your flanges on your headers, but they will bolt up. A CSC 3400 top end would be mean!!

Cliffnotes: Ideally I'd do:

Gen2 bottom end.
Low comp pistons
Camshaft
3400 heads & intake
CSC of course!!

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
I-GOT-BOOST

Post by I-GOT-BOOST »

How much power are you looking to make Norm, and how much money do you want to spend?

Quote of the week:

"A cam is only too big if it won't go into the block, and a turbo is only too big if you can't close the hood."
Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

3400 heads with the bigger valves are sure inviting since the bottom end is an open option.  Probably go with boost so it will be mild off boost and daily driven on boost.  

I have Crane 2030 cam which is mild and within the stock computer(which I don't have) limits, Extrude Hone upper and lower intake and bigger T-body(which really does not matter on boost).

My F.A.S.T. computer does not measure the signal off the crank like the later models do.  So maybe I'll stay with 2.8/3.1 bottom and work up from there.  :-/

I do like torque and the displacement that goes with it.  3800 is interesting if I could run it off HP Tuners software with a manual trans.

Norm -  keep the ideas coming!

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

If it helps you decide (Probably will not)
I am using my old 2.8 engine with an auto hydro 3speed and creating a turbocharged project with it.

You could do the 2.8/3.1 SC again ( I would ) because those engines are dime a dozen.  Cost effective.

_________
-------------
I-GOT-BOOST

Post by I-GOT-BOOST »

I kind of like the idea of a 3800 with a 62 or 63 turbo and a 5 speed.  That would be pretty darn cool.  Heck, I'd even be willing to come and help you put it together.  

I've got lots of other ideas too, but they aren't really for public consumption.  If you might be into some real custom work, shoot me a PM and we can discuss it off-board.

Quote of the week:

"A cam is only too big if it won't go into the block, and a turbo is only too big if you can't close the hood."
I-GOT-BOOST

Post by I-GOT-BOOST »

(1988GTU @ Oct. 16 2005,18:22)Q
U
O
T
EYou could do the 2.8/3.1 SC again ( I would ) because those engines are dime a dozen.  Cost effective.
He definitely has a point there. You could just boost the crap out of one of those engines with a turbo, and run it till it pops.  They are so cheap, and it is so easy to swap one that it could actually be pretty cool.  Just go to the junkyard and get yourself a few spares.  So every time you blow one up you just spend a day throwing in a different one.

Quote of the week:

TurboGTU

Post by TurboGTU »

The pistons have to come out. Im sure the piston rings are cluttered with siezed oil. You have to check the cylinder bores for cracks or excessive expansion. And in light of the cracks on the bolt holes..and all the testing you need to do to the block....I say look for another one.

Time for a 3rd gen for you. I think you can reuse that same cam you have (don't forget to set the lifters in order which they go on the lobes)...on the roller block. I've seen SBC roller blocks swaped back to tappet just by using the tappet hardware..no bearing changes or anything. The benifet of 3*00 is the better flow, aluminum pan, roller rockers (96+), Semi main girdle, better block webbing, and windage tray.

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.
Norm 88GT

Post by Norm 88GT »

I-GOT-BOOST has sparked my interest with a 3800.  Remember I like displacement coming from driving 6.0l all summer.  Throw in a few psi and 300 flywheel is nothing.

Any idea the weight difference in the Gen 2/3 60* vs. 3800?

Norm - who's gears are still spinning...

Norm -
'00 C5 MN6 - Procharged

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Buy my car?  

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

(Norm 88GT @ Oct. 19 2005,17:20)Q
U
O
T
EI-GOT-BOOST has sparked my interest with a 3800.  Remember I like displacement coming from driving 6.0l all summer.  Throw in a few psi and 300 flywheel is nothing.

Any idea the weight difference in the Gen 2/3 60* vs. 3800?

Norm - who's gears are still spinning...
I tihnk your better off with a turbocharged 3400.  If you did a custom PCM and harness you could even do a 3500 or 3900.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

(ErichZ26 @ Oct. 19 2005,21:50)Q
U
O
T
EI tihnk your better off with a turbocharged 3400.  If you did a custom PCM and harness you could even do a 3500 or 3900.
Just out of curiosity, Erich, why would he be better off with the options you mentioned?  Are you mainly thinking about ease of install, or potential, or what?

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
nocutt

Post by nocutt »

You have heart...really, I was wondering why this thread kept moving lo and behold you got the car back...

I am with IGBst on this one...a 3800S1/2/3 will definately be a better choice we know you have the skills and the aftermarket has indeed xplod'd (if you are into the aftermarket...   ) regardless it is a good idea...the only other option I see will be the 3400...the reason I picked these two engines will be Bias on one and the fact that you can literally get these engines easily...the 3500/3900 sounds tempting but they HAVE not been proven nor will you find TWO cheap...

BTW the 3800 V6 SC weighs in 'bout 440-450lbs I don't remember the exact numbers (dry) the NA variant is about 395-400lb dry also. The series 3 is a wittle bit lighter...mine came in parts and pieces so to speak can't remember the net weight before dropping it...
Sorry don't know the weight on the 2.8/3.1...
HTHs