New clutch

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?

New clutch

Post by Guest »

Well I had just bought an 88 GTU and now I'm being forced to rip out the motor becuase something in the bottom end keeps destroying the crank sensor.  Either way the motor I was going to put the motor in from my 89 GTU is going to need a stronger clutch behind it. ÂÂÂ

I'm not sure where to look or what to look for. ÂÂÂ I wasn't planning on doing this swap until the summer but I guess things happen.  So now I haven't had time to research this and time isn't on my side again.  I know a single plate wont hold so I'm going have to double plated. ÂÂÂ Thanks in advance for any help guys!! ÂÂÂ

-Cy

IsaacHayes

New clutch

Post by IsaacHayes »

Just by chance are you replacing the CPSensor from AutoZone? If so try getting one from another store. The brand AZ is carrying is junk and sometimes won't last 2 days. That could be the only problem....

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

New clutch

Post by Guest »

No,  the cps sensor was bought from advance auto.   The old one we pulled out had a nasty gash in it like it was cut with a knife.  When we installed the new one a real bad knock that I had never herd before started in the bottom end of the motor.  So i'm not sure what is going on but it can't be good since the only thing down there is the cranks and rods.   Something is not where its suppose to be and hitting that sensor.

IsaacHayes

New clutch

Post by IsaacHayes »

Wow, yeah that's not right. You'd think if it was doing that damage to the CPS that you'd of done a lot more damage already inside (like punch a hole in the pan!)

As far as clutches, not sure what HP you are putting to it, but a few years ago clutchmasters was pretty good. They had some pretty strong ones...

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

New clutch

Post by Guest »

I know but it just might be the start of something letting loose and hasn't had enough time to fully come apart.   Either way that motor is gettin yanked and torn down so that it may become a backup motor.  

As far as Hp,  after the intake, injector, exhaust, and chip upgrade i should be in the 200 -  250 range  n/a  ..  

i'll have to check them out and see what they have....

gtuturbo

New clutch

Post by gtuturbo »

(DrkbwtiPrfm25 @ Feb. 21 2006,21:11)Q
U
O
T
EAs far as Hp,  after the intake, injector, exhaust, and chip upgrade i should be in the 200 -  250 range  n/a  .. ÂÂÂ
No, you won't...

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1
gtuturbo

New clutch

Post by gtuturbo »

(DrkbwtiPrfm25 @ Feb. 21 2006,16:09)Q
U
O
T
EWell I had just bought an 88 GTU and now I'm being forced to rip out the motor becuase something in the bottom end keeps destroying the crank sensor.  Either way the motor I was going to put the motor in from my 89 GTU is going to need a stronger clutch behind it. ÂÂÂ

I'm not sure where to look or what to look for.  I wasn't planning on doing this swap until the summer but I guess things happen.  So now I haven't had time to research this and time isn't on my side again.  I know a single plate wont hold so I'm going have to double plated.  Thanks in advance for any help guys!! ÂÂÂ

-Cy
I have a Spec Stage Three with a lightened pressure plate, and a softer (they call it Kryptonite) disc.
My flywheel is aluminum also.

The lightened pressure plate and aluminum flywheel present less rotational mass, and therefore quicker acceleration.

It definitely engages harsher, but with the same pedal feel. This is probably due in combination to the stronger plate, and my new poly mounts will transmit vibration more.

The old stock one was toast. It would slip terribly anytime that I got into boost. The Spec easily took care of that problem, and is rated greater than anything I could eventually get out of the 2.8L .

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1

New clutch

Post by Guest »

Why wont I?  With the head work, cam, and flat tops alone it was already at dynoed at 156 hp.  Now it has been bored over and bigger cam.    This is all with factory ignition, computer, intake and exhaust.  So if I can make it breathe in and out better along with having the proper fuel ratio added its been caclulated to be at 230 hp.  So I'm predicting low 200s (200-210)  but I wont know exact until it sees a dyno again.

IsaacHayes

New clutch

Post by IsaacHayes »

That means now you are at ~187 crank hp.

See my post  in performance "Pace Car Motor" project. With all of that you could be close to ~240. What displacement are you at? If you are going to use the gen2 2.8 intake manifolds, you will seriously be limiting your power. Go to gen3 heads, gen3 large intakes (3400) and adapt a 3500 plenum if you can. Of course port and polish everything. (the 3500 plenum needs to be bolted to a 3400 lower manifold. It gives you a boost down low as well as up top, and is easy/quick to port as it has no runners).

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

New clutch

Post by Guest »

i'm still at 173 ci plus whatever a .040 bore adds.  I can't remember what it is excatly.   But I'm going to go with a gen III lower and upper intake set up  and going to try and figure out how to build headers for it.  The heads that are on it have been ported out far enough that they are already better than gen III heads.  I had thought about going with gen III setup but then i have to change alot of things that I'm not willing to do just for my daily driver.