3x00 headers

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
3X00-Modified
Administrator

3x00 headers

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Very bad to have a slip fit in the opposite direction of the exhaust flow... I hope you plan on welding the seam inside the flange to remove that.  Also those collectors what was your issue with them?? the 3 pipes wouldn't go in? or the end wouldn't fit a collector pipe?? because once again I'm sure they flare the 1 pipe its going into to get the single outlet to go into it...

You are right in the fact that the collector pictured is not what you got, but its still very usable, since thats exactly what they use on the headers I own.  I bet they only put the collector into the single pipe by about a 1/4" if that...  It almost looks like a butt weld when I was working with them.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
fastlane02

3x00 headers

Post by fastlane02 »

ya ias expecting what they have on the website but it wasn't so i just modified it and now and i'm going to run 2 1/4 piping for the cross piping. I'm still working on making some. but when you can get the collector from s&s for so cheap and then just make them work then the overal price for the headers will be cheaper.  s&s collector 9$ i havn't found anyone else cheaper than 20$

And yes the slip on will slip over. it would be stupid to not do that  

the piping wont go in beucase they need cut at an angle then welded together. the bigger problem is the fitment of each piping. one will be a nice tight fitment and then pipe right beside it will be to big and the next to small. they are not perfect so it makes my job harder lol.
And if your suppost to butt weld that kinda dumb for strength issues imoa. might not be but if the car is lowered it so happened to bottom out that might be a good place to crack and also at the flange would be another go spot. I might be wrong but i think you would want atleast a 1inch of piping in there to give the collector some support.

maybe send me some pic 3x00 of the colllector if you have someones laying around. i very interested in seing it. I know my 3.8 headers go at least a 1 and a half

CBC PERFORMANCE

use to be grace89SS
89gt 3.8scII to much to list.
87 iroc-z the old girl is getting a make over!
90 gtz bring her back to her glory days but even better!
02 TA moser 12 bolt,yank 4k stall, spohn everything, LPE heads,MS4 cam,fast90/90 ported, hooker lt sc.
68 firebird
3X00-Modified
Administrator

3x00 headers

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I was referring to the common end of the collector, it looks like thats BARELY slipped into the cross over pipe on the headers I got

As far as the 3 pipe side, yeah those are trimmed or swagged down to fit in, I know they are 3 circular round pipes inside, they are not cut at an angle or anything, I do remember seeing that, and I dont think they are stuffed in all that far either...

I know everyone says for strength you should stay away from a butt weld, but honestly when it comes to an exhaust system the butt weld is probably the stronger part, I would assume the pipe itself would give before cracking a weld... or at least I've never had this become an issue for me and I have had my fair share of butt welds on my systems.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
fastlane02

3x00 headers

Post by fastlane02 »

very interesting 3x00 as i was wondering on this. I'm just trying to make the best quality headers i can make and i'm nervious on butting it up and welding it. but the more i look at it and think about what to do it looks like butting them up might be the easyiest way to do it. I shouldn't have any clearance issues on the down pipe. it will tuck up in there nice.

And useing these collectors will cut down on cost alot witch is what i'm looking for. also using 16g piping for strength. I need to go home and check them out on my 3.8 headers.

you probably dont have any pic of the inside of the collector do ya?

CBC PERFORMANCE

use to be grace89SS
02 TA moser 12 bolt,yank 4k stall, spohn everything, LPE heads,MS4 cam,fast90/90 ported, hooker lt sc.
68 firebird
3X00-Modified
Administrator

3x00 headers

Post by 3X00-Modified »

No, but the front header is coming off soon so I might be able to get something... then again I think the angle is too much to see up in there...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
MY91GT(Z)

3x00 headers

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

yeah the angle is to much as i went to look at mine after i read this post

93 GT cammed 3500 TORSEN, headers,intake,wilwood,poly/delrin mounts, 2.5 S.S,Exhaust,dickman kits,GTUspoiler,Euro headlights-tails-mirrors-fender flares-spoiler,Intrax/Koni,91+blk interior,rr disk swap,s.s.clutch line
3X00-Modified
Administrator

3x00 headers

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Take a pic of the rear header collector, that will give you a good idea, I know you can see that one.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
berettaspeed

3x00 headers

Post by berettaspeed »

nothing much but maybe a suggestion. i know the newer 3500s have the front bank go under the oil pan. you can buy oval piping and that would help with clearence. also having its own bank may help a ton with room and making a collectoer else where. just a thought.and maybe 1.5 inch piping would be easier. i mean 1 5/8s is kinda big for these engines. 1.5 is enough to flow 400 HP. just another thought.

Best ET 14.313@95.37 N/A
Best MPH 14.438@95.71 N/A
89GT 5spd
3400MPFI & Boost
fastlane02

3x00 headers

Post by fastlane02 »

the biggest problem is with the fan. that is a thick fan. one option is to sale a fan with the kit. this is the way i'm leaning. and customize the new fan so it plugs into your harness. With the smaller fan i can run them how i want and that would be the only problem with the setup. everything else is cake. this front header is taking the logest and i've changed my design 8 or 9 times becuase of that fan. if i can clear the fan i have clearance issues with other stuff. and that stuff can't be moved. proform sales a nice slim fan and at a good price.
it also will be a option since some of you might already have a smaller fan.

3x00mod i would like to know how much clearance you have to the fan. i'm curious.

CBC PERFORMANCE

use to be grace89SS
68 firebird
fastlane02

3x00 headers

Post by fastlane02 »

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Product....d=14984

heres the fan i'm thinking would work great.

CBC PERFORMANCE

use to be grace89SS
68 firebird
Barry
Global Moderator

3x00 headers

Post by Barry »

If possible, I would like to see headers that did not require another cooling fan, but if theres any signnificant benifit to a header design that needs the slimmer fan, then i can live with it.

fastlane02

3x00 headers

Post by fastlane02 »

believe me i've tried a bunch of diff way. the fan motor is just to bulky theres about 3 1/2 in. from flange to fan motor. this doesn't leave me much room for the #5 cyl.
moving the fan to the p/s and slimmer fan is are best bet and i can run the piping alittle easier witch will cut down on money at the tube shop. it will equal out to about the same and i'm 100% sure it will not melt wires, sensors, vaccum lines ect. easier install and still and probably flow better then anyother way i could run it. i'll post some pics on what i have done. i'm getting ready to tach the #3 and #5 primaries coming off the flange. then will get them to the collector tomorrow and then work of #1 wensday.
i've been working on them just of the weekends and now i'm wanting to get these done so i'm going to work some overtime durring the week to get them produced.

the hardest work is past since i know how i want to run them. the back header will be simple and cross pipe will be easy just have get the egr fitting in and 02 sensor

also going to use this 2 into 1 collector/ y pipe.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowmaster/389/Y2 ... 73%7C11535

have seen very good numbers from this y pipe over any other y
its about 15rwhp avg gain when you put this on a 98-02 trans am.
took off my hooker y and put this here and saw for my self 20 so its a very good product.

CBC PERFORMANCE

use to be grace89SS
68 firebird
MAJ28

3x00 headers

Post by MAJ28 »

Any word on the progress of the 3400 downpipes for the stock manifolds?  

-J

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   
berettaspeed

3x00 headers

Post by berettaspeed »

pusher fan FTW!! only like 40-80 bucks.

Best ET 14.313@95.37 N/A
Best MPH 14.438@95.71 N/A
89GT 5spd
3400MPFI & Boost
fastlane02

3x00 headers

Post by fastlane02 »

theres whats done as of now. more will be done tomarrow the #3 and 5 will be to the collector tomorrow night.

that fan can be pusher or puller. you will have to specify what you want so i can change it on the connector i send you to make it plug into you old fan connector.

CBC PERFORMANCE

use to be grace89SS
68 firebird