Beretta Turbo Updates

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
rweatherford

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by rweatherford »

Time to crank up the boost and fuel.  

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

wicked-irocz

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by wicked-irocz »

well,  before I took the insurance off for winter last friday I did adjust the wastegate for 5 psi and I did hit it just for a second to check.  I will have it back out in the spring messing with the fuel settings and a few other ideas I have and get it back on the dyno (even if I have to use vacation).

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
wicked-irocz

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by wicked-irocz »

I rendered videos of it the 2nd, I just need to get back home so I can downsize them and transfer them because at full quality they are nearly 3 GB.  I washed it then too and put it under a cover ( a crappy one if you ask me though regular price on it was $60 and its a universal fit) for winter since there is only storage insurance on it.

To many mods to list

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
wicked-irocz

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by wicked-irocz »

Time for the VIDEO's
It may be best to right click, save as

Stock Dyno.  The first part of it is a dyno run, the second is a quarter mile run.

First Starts Turbo'd.  These are the videos of the first through fifth times the car was started.  You can tell theres a vaccum leak, its from the egr not being seated correctly (I did fix it before I drove it off the trailer).  You can also tell how much fuel pressure changes the smoothness of the idle as at each start the fuel pressure got closer to being dialed in.

First Moves.  This is the first time I moved the car after it was turbo'd.  In the daytime part the EGR is not seated correctly and the exhaust ends right infront of the gas tank.  In the nighttime part the EGR is fixed and the exhaust is comming out the rear.

First Dyno.  This is the first dyno turbo'd with 1 or 2 psi.

More Vids to come Tuesday hopefully

To many mods to list

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
Jeff P

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by Jeff P »

Lookin' good, can't wait to see some numbers

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
1988GTU

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by 1988GTU »

How much wheel tq/hp is it at?  What kind of 1/4 run did it show on the dyno?

_________
-------------
wicked-irocz

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by wicked-irocz »

I cleaned up the Thread thanks to chris for editing my posts so I deleted many of the ones where I quoted myself, just left the ones up explaining the pictures being up down.

the 1/4 run was stock+glasspack/CAI
16.6@84 or something like that

The wheel hp stock was back a page and I never kept the chart of the wheel hp at 1 or 2 psi. The dyno charts are on page 6. There will be new dyno charts in May/June of 5 psi not running lean if everything goes as planned. There may be 1/4 mile times at cedar falls this summer too.

To many mods to list

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
1988GTU

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by 1988GTU »

Or at Milan if you goto Bfest...

_________
-------------
wicked-irocz

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by wicked-irocz »

Here's another 2.

Dyno.  The first run is 3.5 PSI running slightly lean.  The second is 5 PSI running Lean.  The third is 3.5 PSI running slightly rich.

Beretta Drive.  Driving a bit harder than usuall.  This was before the new fuel pump and I had the wastegate set for 5 PSI so I was using my foot to modulate the throttle to less than 3 PSI which means around half throttle max.  You can hear the bov twice near the end of the movie.  You can hear the turbo even in vaccum as witnessed by the part where the camara is focused on the fuel pressure gauge.  I only hit 1 PSI max during that and that is when the fuel pressure is at its highest.

To many mods to list

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
wicked-irocz

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by wicked-irocz »

I pulled the car out of storage on 7/21 and found some surface rust on my stock flanges and the turbine housing, corrosion on the UIM, compressor housing, and alternator.

I cleaned it up a bit (the engine bay, the car still hasnt been washed since when it was taken off the road in december.

I did a little tuning and let it shift under full power for the first time. It broke the tires loose just a bit on the 1-2 shift but Im not sure if I like that or not. I decided to back it down to 4 psi because I dont want to run over 70 psi total when I daily drive it. I tuned it for that (as well as I can with my little tricks).

I drove it to the dyno and it started raining hard when I was but 10 miles away. So hard I decided it was easier to see without the wipers on. Got to town, 3 inches of water on the streets. Made me worry about my cone filter but it ended up not getting wet 40+ mph wind gusts. I pulled into the dyno and the shop area flooded ( 6" drain cap flew up in the air and water was getting pushed out so it was shooting 5 ft in the air).

I dynoed it again with a 201 degree inital oil temp. the average of the 3 runs was 153.9 whp at 4800 rpm and 185.2 tq level across from 3500-4000 rpm. The variation in runs was less than 1.5 hp and 2 tq.

I drove it back. In that drive there (45 miles), dyno, drive back I averaged 25 mpg (I think, Ill remember to grab the exact number out of my car later) and I had done some tuning on the dyno too.

I took off for devon's in wisconsin (3 hours 30 min with no stops) and then Raced at rock falls saturday. Rock falls is at EDIT*Just found out its actually 980 ft above sea level*EDIT.

My first pass of the day was 15 min after I drove to the track. 84 degree ambient track temp, no wind. Tried to hold 2nd because I knew shifting to third would lose a ton of time. Ran into the limiter hard in 2nd about 200 ft from the finish.
Ran a 15.576 at 89.23 mph.

2nd pass. Hot lapped the car but pushed to starting line hopping to cool it down some. it was another 15 min wait. I left it in OD and the ambiant track temp was 88 degrees. I ran a 15.513 at 89.46.

I gave up until Brad got there and I saw him make a pass. He ran a 15.6 or something like that so I entered into eliminations at the last second hopping to race against him.

My first pass I held my car in drive with my foot on the brake warming it up to 180 degrees so my thermostat would open but the car was otherwise cool. I left it in D and ran a 15.402 at 90.11. I didnt check the track temp but it wasnt getting cooler.

The next pass I had 5 min for cool down and ran a 15.453 at 89.76.

The third pass I never even had a chance to shut the car off and approched the line at a 220 degree coolant temp. I ran against Brad and won with a 15.527 at 90.25 but dropped out because they wanted me to hot lap again and my idle wasnt behaving very well with a 230 degree coolant temp.

Brad went up, convinced the track officials to let him race for me and he won the next round winning the bracket.

I need to get smaller tires so I can use more of 3rd. I ran with half a tank of gas, full interior, but without my spare. I used my 225s on my Z wheels.

I drove it to devon's, put it in the garage. Opened the hood, we left for supper, came back after go karts about 3 hours later and it was easily 95 degrees in the garage and the intake manifold was over 100 STILL. Those 3 passes really warmed up that engine bay. My idle cleaned up just fine after cooling down.

I drove an hour of the way back before filling up and got an average of 28.8 mpg between going to devon's, racing, and the hour of the way back. I really like rarely having to shift down.

Ill probably have pics up along with videos in about a week.

To many mods to list

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by heavywoody »

Nice, not bad at all! That's about a full second quicker than a stock Z26.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
wicked-irocz

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by wicked-irocz »

CAR 1824,  I thought we were on a .500 tree the whole time but I wasnt to worried about the R/T anyway.

To many mods to list

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
Ribz80

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by Ribz80 »

2.4x  60ft shows there is a lot of room for improvement.  2.1-2.2 60 fts on some air downed stickier tires should net you a 15.0-15.2.

91' GT  SOLD
99' Saab Viggen Stg-4 315hp- in European Car Magazine  7/2006
spacecadetz26

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by spacecadetz26 »

i'm disapointed there were no empty bottles of everclear or rubber duckies in any of the photos  

Dusty I have some ok shape Z26 wheels if you want to trade up those nasty 14" steelies for winter wheels.  

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Beretta Turbo Updates

Post by heavywoody »

Like Ribz said, you definately have room for improvement with those 60 ft times...

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions