Dead soul returns

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
z284pwr

Dead soul returns

Post by z284pwr »

Transmission stuff!!! Fun!!!!

All the innards don't look to much different than the Turbo 400 we did.

1 question, does that B&M Kit have any sections on "Performance" rebuild or anything?  That is one thing that we had in the Turbo 400 that was way nice, drill holes here, don't put this ball in there, stronger spring here, don't put this in there, plug this, remove that, etc. etc.

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto

Dead soul returns

Post by Guest »

B&M doesn't offer any "Kit" or performance instructions... All I installed was the Trans go shift correction kit which fixes problems that cause premature failure.  On was to drill out a hole on the spacer plate, plug another one, and then make one smaller.  Another fix was springs on either side of the TCC lockup valve, and a different PWM valve... I opted for the sonnax supplied PWM valve because it was made of aluminum and coated; where as the trans go one was just steel.

The other thing I did, which I read from 60degreev6, was to take a spare inner spring from another 2-3 accumulator assy and put it into the 1-2 accumulator, so both have double springs.  I did this and hopefully it firms up 1-2 without having to bump the modulator pressure so high.  One other fix on the trans go kit was to drill two holes in a wall on the channel plate and plug one with a plug, this was to make the converter lockup controlled by the modulator and not the PWM solenoid.  Supposedly firmer lockup

wicked-irocz

Dead soul returns

Post by wicked-irocz »

great progress, keep up the good work.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
IsaacHayes

Dead soul returns

Post by IsaacHayes »

My 1-2 shift is pretty firm. Front drifts side ways a inch or two when it shifts. It does not feel hard though like when the vacuum to the modulator came off. Stock trans, but now without leaky seals (gm additive is great!) hehehe. I guess I wasn't used to a good working trans for a while.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

Dead soul returns

Post by Guest »

Stock she's not supposed to shift like that... you may have other problems.  Can you hear your pump when its at idle??  My modulator valve was stuck due to aluminum being spread through the trans from my diff problems.

IsaacHayes

Dead soul returns

Post by IsaacHayes »

Well, before I used the seal conditioner, and once the trans warmed up to engange, the shifts were sometimes drawn out and long. Now it shifts FAST. It will down shift so fast that I thought it knew I was going to floor it before I did! It doesn't always break the tires free on the 1-2, just on certain roads where I have speed, it downshifts into 1, then gains lots more speed, then back into 2 and then sometimes it will break free. When it doesn't break free you'll usualy feel the car lurch forward (not the front end, the whole car). I know it's worn probably, but it works/feels great.

Trans is quite at idle. I know my modulator isn't stuck, as I've felt that before. It will shudder the whole car. It behaves really responsively, and isn't harsh now. Smooth & fast I would describe the shifts. Before they were sloppy and slow.  

When driving normaly (not WOT) it you can't really tell when it shifts. (computer has adjusted the shift patterns though, as I do so many wot runs so it holds the gears out a little longer. Disconnecting the battery re-sets that and it doesn't hold the gear as long I've found)

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

Dead soul returns

Post by Guest »

The last of the pics....

The needle bearing in the brand new 4th clutch hub I bought failed, which made my CV joint slop around and wreck the seal.  Trans is out of the car once again and waiting for a new 4th hub, and seal and a new converter... that 2300 was not a 2300, it had to be much higher than that, It felt like it was slipping all the way up to 3800 min... so I ordered another stock converter.  But on a good note, the 1-2 shift was very firm and quick, everything else worked as planned, and the gearing and LSD combo was a dream come true.   It should be done middle of next week hopefully.  Parts are coming Monday and I should be able to finish assy and get in in then... but we'll see.

Keep on chuggin!

IsaacHayes

Dead soul returns

Post by IsaacHayes »

So the computer shifted perfectly with the new gearing? You never once bounced off the rev limiter?

I didn't know you had a LSD in there now... I missed that part.

Seeing someone build the trans makes me think that if mine went out I could do it myself too.

Can you lift the thing by yourself?

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
zach82

Dead soul returns

Post by zach82 »

A 4t60-E is definetly not light, I have one laying on the floor of the shop and I'd guess it probably outweighs a TH-350 by a good 20lbs.  It's possible to pick one up by yourself, but it's quite awkard since there's really nothing to get a good grip on.

1994 Purple Pearl Base (RWD conversion project)
1973/77 Ford 3/4 ton 4X4 long bed
1987 Suzuki Samurai / heavily modded
My site  http://www.zcm82.net

Dead soul returns

Post by Guest »

Yes I can lift it by myself, If i happen to drop my nuts on the floor first...

I have lifted it but its very heavy and bulky... like a pumpkin with a leg really...

yes the LSD is in there and I swaped the 29 tone ring for a 30, so the ECM sees a higher speed than actual so yeah it shifts perfectly... and if you do the math it actually raises the shift points a little.

Dead soul returns

Post by Guest »

got the rest of the replacement parts today for my prior failure, so I'm hoping to have the trans done and in by tonight... we'll see but I have high hopes.

Oh and the part they sent me was different than the first that failed so thats a good sign.  (different in the right way)

IsaacHayes

Dead soul returns

Post by IsaacHayes »

If it fixes it call them up and demand a refund for the bad one, and a discount for your troubles!  
How much was that LSD? With the higher shift points there's still room before the ecm hits the rev limiter? I can't remember what the rev limiter is set at.

I like your auto. Well, now that you've pimped zee auto up. I bet you're just loving the lower gearing. Test drove a W body 3100 car last night to test out for someone, and the gearing made it seem so much ,more powerfull, but then I got back in my beretta and didn't even floor it and I saw my beretta's speedometer was flying up a lot faster than the W body at WOT! But the high geared trans just doesn't feel like you're moving fast...

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

Dead soul returns

Post by Guest »

The LSD and gearing combo is very nice, and yes the speed does feel weird in a high geared car, but I guess thats because i'm used to the sound of the motor at certain speeds and now its off by about 200+- rpm or something like that.  Its only a 12% gear change so its not that radical.  I bet if I had the trans done and swaped it in one day I would have felt the gear change more... but since it took two weeks before it was completed it was hard to really "feel" the change right off the bat.

LSD was 499.00  Spring sale... he said its usually 599 during the summer because he gets slammed with orders and stuff, but just tell him Jon Chmura sent you ÂÂÂ

Also mine was a extra 150 because I ended up needing to find another diff... since the one that came out was shot.

Oh it never hits the rev limiter... also thats like 6050 or something weird like that.  May be higher I'm not sure.