6 sp in a beretta?

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
Beretta__z26

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by Beretta__z26 »

okay so there is a guy on the grandamgt.com forum who put a 6 sp from a G6 in his car. it bolts right up to the 3400. my question is would this fit in the engine bay of a beretta? im not sure the difference between the two engine bays. he did have to custom make a tranny mount, but he explains everything he did. he also was able to use the cv's from the G6. anybody thought about trying this? i mentioned something about it on bstuff.com about a year ago and everybody told me it wouldnt bolt up. so i dont know.

here is the thread. have a look! tell me what you think.
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73212

My '90 INDY and '96 Z26
JeffD

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by JeffD »

wow, thats hot! It might work, alot of fabbing and custom half shafts would get her in the car, once your there the rest is wiring. I'm so jealous!

1988 Beretta GT 5 speed - 1st car... Gone to the crusher. :(
1989 Beretta GT Z-51
1994 Beretta Z26 getting FE7+Z51 goodies
1987 Pontiac Bonneville LG3+4T65-E
1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon L36+4T65-E
1998 Chevrolet C1500 5.7L L31+ built 4L60-E
SuzukiGhostRider

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

That was one of the best reads I've had in awhile. Nice link and post! Thanks!

fastlane02

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by fastlane02 »

i'm working on it right now but its not getting bolted up to a 3100 or 3400. its getting mounted on my 3.8sc

CBC PERFORMANCE

use to be grace89SS
89gt 3.8scII to much to list.
87 iroc-z the old girl is getting a make over!
90 gtz bring her back to her glory days but even better!
02 TA moser 12 bolt,yank 4k stall, spohn everything, LPE heads,MS4 cam,fast90/90 ported, hooker lt sc.
68 firebird
Beretta__z26

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by Beretta__z26 »

soo it is possible. i thought so, but a year ago it was an absolute no-go. so does anybody know if you could use the CV's from the G6 or is the wheel base thing off too much? im thinkin this could be a huge step for the beretta community. thanks guys! i figured someone would get something out of it!

My '90 INDY and '96 Z26
heavywoody
Global Moderator

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by heavywoody »

You'll need to swap the outer CV's onto an axle length that will fit. I'm not sure how much bigger that trans is than the Getrag is... you can use those 5spd axles to compare length, that will at least get you started.

That would be an interesting swap... not sure how you would use the cables... I think there would be a lot more custom stuff that would have to be done vs. the GA guys, but it looks to be an interesting challenge.

You know we'll be here to help when you need it!

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Barry
Global Moderator

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by Barry »

This is making me want to change my swap plans. Problem is that I already bought just about all of what I need for a 282 swap.

I feel that the halfshafts and engine alignment would be the biggest issues. Mounting it would be the second most important. Other than that, it shouldnt be too bad...

I deffinitly think we could make beretta cables work, and possibly retain the stock 5-speed shifter with some modifications so you could get into reverse.

Some benifits to this trans is that its so new. Parts are availible, and it probly shifts alot nicer. I havent looked into the ratios yet, but 6th is probly better on gas...

Beretta__z26

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by Beretta__z26 »

indeed. i think somewhere in that thread he said 70 mph in 6th is around 2k rpms. i dont have the money or time right now to do the swap but i figured maybe someone on here thinkin about starting a 5 sp swap would be up for the challenge. maybe later down the road ill think about it.

My '90 INDY and '96 Z26
wicked-irocz

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by wicked-irocz »

Im sorry but I just dont see the point when we already have the 282 available to us for so cheap and many know how to re-build them.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
Barry
Global Moderator

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by Barry »

You know alot of people that can rebuild them? I dont know of many people, if any that have rebuilt them.

Im just doing diff bearings and input shaft bearing in mine,  syncros are a big job, and I dont have the tools.

Z26-T

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by Z26-T »

I think this would be pretty sweet. If the GAGT guys can do it, there has to be someone around here that can, for those of you who have done 5 speed swaps and need something else to do, the 6 speed is waiting for you .

95' Z26 Beretta- 3400, 282, exhaust. Lots of upgrades still in boxes...
79' Z28 Camaro- Not street legal- 12-1 compression, etc.
S. Comp. Dragster- DEI 350, 600 hp @ 5600, I take it to 7400.
weba

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by weba »

Those gearings will still accelerate slower than 4DFF 5spd... but when you come to a point when you have too much power (read: lot of boost) it's definitely a good swap  

I fill up for $130. Also Beretta owner since 2004
blindmandesigns

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by blindmandesigns »

for the majority of people this wouldn't be a performance swap. you'd either break even with a 5 speed in the 1/4th mile or be slower.  6th gear is to cruise on the highway.

Beretta__z26

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by Beretta__z26 »

well im pretty sure you wouldnt get to 6th if you were running a quarter mile. also, just like weba said... when it comes to making power, the beretta trannies suck. everybody knows that. with the 6sp you can get a higher top speed (which i dont see is needed. but its there), and it can handle alot more power. i have meetings i have to go to every wendesday and saturday. Spokane is 65 miles one way from my small town and that 6 sp would be nice to have on the freeway. specially with the crazy high gas prices. That, and i would love to see the peoples eyes when i tell them its a SIX speed V6 under the hood of that beretta.    i dont know, most of you might think its kinda pointless and a waste of money, but to others it might be a nice one of a kind project.

My '90 INDY and '96 Z26
blindmandesigns

6 sp in a beretta?

Post by blindmandesigns »

I dont know of any beretta that can top of 5th ;) Shifting to 6th would just bog you down.

It's just like a 90 GTZ has a higher top speed then a 92 + due to 92 + having the econo 5th gear (exception is the W41 trans)

if it fits though I say do it.  There is nothing like a newer tranny with low miles with better gearing.  my 91 GTZ's tranny had 12K on it when I installed it.  smoothest shifting getrag I have ever had.