Ecotec

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
svenonline5

Ecotec

Post by svenonline5 »

I drive a 95 beretta and have been considering engine swaps for the past few months.  I would really like an engine with aftermarket support, and I'd like to keep it 4 cylinder.  i've found a complete 2003 Ecotec w/ 5-speed trans out of a Sunfire for $650 and I'm wondering if anyone here has ever attempted this swap.  Will this engine/tranny fit?  What kind of problems will I run into?

TurboGTU

Ecotec

Post by TurboGTU »

Well you still need the wire harness, ECM unless you wanto use a aftermaket ECM, IE F.A.S.T, Megasqurt, Accel.

Well anyway. The problem you might* see is the half shaft to spindel lenth. YOu also need a radiator and prob the shifter setup and clutch cylinder/peddle assy. YOu might have a problem with the mounts also. The J-body had a funky half engine cradle setup..and the beretta has the whole cradle. The beretta has the rack on the firewall of the engine bay, while the J-body has it on the engine cradle. Just things to watch out for.

It will fit.

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.
Phantom GTZ

Ecotec

Post by Phantom GTZ »

There are hardly any aftermarket for the N/A 2.2 Liter Ecotec.

The way the engine senses the cam position is a bit advanced for aftermarket ECU's as of right now.

I know theres ways around it, but there have been alot of headaches trying to get those engines running with a serious engine management controller.

Google Search my friend!

wicked-irocz

Ecotec

Post by wicked-irocz »

you guys talking of this makes me wonder how daves doing with his twin cam swap.  Anyone know?

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
svenonline5

Ecotec

Post by svenonline5 »

i don't plan on keeping it naturally aspirated really...i just need a better engine/trans to start working with than my current 5-speed base model 95, because i'm pretty sure there's nothing you can really do with a 2200...

IsaacHayes

Ecotec

Post by IsaacHayes »

you can always turbo your 2.2. Sunbird had a 2.0 turbo, so why not make your 2.2 turbo for a decent upgrade?

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
svenonline5

Ecotec

Post by svenonline5 »

the engine made 120 hp and 130 tq stock back in 95...that was almost 170,000mi ago...so i don't think it's really worth it...but I plan on doing some cheap little mods here and there, because it won't be until next year that i will actually have the time and money (and equipment) to actually complete the swap...

i've found a 91 beretta that i will use as a parts car.  I plan on porting and polishing the head and sticking it on my engine.  i would also like to make a custom CAI, but i don't know whether it's larger tube into smaller tube or the other way around.  And whoever owned the car before me ripped off the muffler, and so i'm so used to the roar now that i can't live with anything more than a glasspack...lol...

1988GTU

Ecotec

Post by 1988GTU »

100 shot and turbo the sucka...

It'll be the fastest.....................

..........Call for the tow truck EVER!

_________
-------------
svenonline5

Ecotec

Post by svenonline5 »

lol, that's what i've always thought when people bring up nitrous...i was thinking about a nitrous shot to end it all when i get a new engine though...

payback

Ecotec

Post by payback »

why not try a newer "quad four" 2.4l, makes 25-30 less crank hp natural than the useless blown ecotec currently in the slobalt...er i mean cobalt SS.

'96Z26:Eibach springs, KYB struts, GM Strut brace, K&N cone