gtz's build thread. updated 4/25/14.

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
speedy

gtz's build thread. updated 4/25/14.

Post by speedy »

well, i guess some of you may want to follow along with what im doing with this car. its a 1991 beretta gtz 2.3l quad 4. its completly rust free and was female owned its entire life untill i purchased it. im the 6th owner of it but i know all the owners before me since it was new, wich is rather nice. =) anyways, heres the plans for it, i have a ported and polished 086 head and honed block, a rebuild kit and some other stuff, i want to get w41 cams and pistons for in it, a header, fidanza flywheel, i have eibachs for it and i have kyb shocks and struts for it. im in the works of getting spare shift cables, its getting a strut brace front and perhaps rear. im looking for either an adco rear sway bar or z51 bar. and it desperatly needs a dash, i want to powder coat everything but i have to look into costs to have it done and costs of doing it myself. heres some pics of the car in progress, i'll keep it updated as best i can, but it is a long looong term project.

got it into the garage, what a day it was towing it home, ive towed many cars and my nerves where never as bad...

another shot before the tear down began...

the tear down begins...

thats where she stands, i picked these up off craigslist for a few bucks, idk if im going to put them on the car yet or not..

more to come tomorrow... comments and suggestions are certainly welcome!!!
Last edited by speedy on Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
BerettaGTchick

Re: gtz's build thread

Post by BerettaGTchick »

How are you the 6th owner??? According to carfax, I was the third owner well technically the fourth since the title was in my mom's name first. You're welcome by the way for the strut brace :P

~1991 Chevy Beretta GT - 3.1L, automatic :)

speedy

Post by speedy »

just picked up a w41 motor and trans for the car, the trans turned out to be internal slave so i guess i have to swap it over, or can i use a 91 belhousing on a 92+ 3.94 trans??? the motor has 66k on it with a blown head gasket(oil in the coolent) but i just wanted the pistons and cams, only thing it didnt have was the idi cover, but im happy with it overall.

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
95BerettaBase

Post by 95BerettaBase »

BerettaGTchick wrote:How are you the 6th owner??? According to carfax, I was the third owner well technically the fourth since the title was in my mom's name first. You're welcome by the way for the strut brace :P
Berettachick, I love your GT. It looks nice and simple, but still stock. I love unmolested GT's. :)

-1995 Chevy Beretta Base *SOLD*
-1998 Chevy Silverado 4x4
-2016 Chevy Silverado Z71
-2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

1995 Chevy Beretta Base - 3100 V6 w/ 284,000 and still kickin'.
BerettaGTchick

Post by BerettaGTchick »

95BerettaBase wrote:
Berettachick, I love your GT. It looks nice and simple, but still stock. I love unmolested GT's. :)
Aww :) Thank you! She needs some work, but I am already getting some things done since the GTZ was sold to Speedy. Yea I have Indy ground effects that I was debating on putting on it, but I decided to keep her stock looking since everyone seems to put ground effects on bases and GTs. I only paid $500 for her so I am not complaining :) I would like to convert her to 5spd though....

~1991 Chevy Beretta GT - 3.1L, automatic :)

DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

Nice. I miss having the stock gtz wheels in my gtz.

As for the shifter cables, I went through 4 pairs with in a 3 month span. The oem ones are the best. Aftermarket sucks.

I finally got some rubber tape and taped up the aftermarket ones real good.....no problems since. (knock on wood)

95BerettaBase

Post by 95BerettaBase »

BerettaGTchick wrote:
95BerettaBase wrote:
Aww :) Thank you! She needs some work, but I am already getting some things done since the GTZ was sold to Speedy. Yea I have Indy ground effects that I was debating on putting on it, but I decided to keep her stock looking since everyone seems to put ground effects on bases and GTs. I only paid $500 for her so I am not complaining :) I would like to convert her to 5spd though....
I think 94+ filler panels and tinted windows would do wonders for that car. I agree, Bases look good without GFX because you don't see many of them done up.

Back on topic, looking forward to see the GTZ build.

-1995 Chevy Beretta Base *SOLD*
-1998 Chevy Silverado 4x4
-2016 Chevy Silverado Z71
-2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

1995 Chevy Beretta Base - 3100 V6 w/ 284,000 and still kickin'.
speedy

Post by speedy »

im going to try to source out a pair of mint clear fillers from a few local yards, i know most of you's dont like them, but they are origanal to the car...

BUT, i found a true w41 quad 4 engine and apon the tear down, confirmed the cams are w41, and the pistons are also w41 with 4 valve relieves, so all in all, i bought a w41 motor and 3.94fdr trans for $400, plus about $100 in tolls, gas, ect. so $500 all together got me another complete motor for parts, a transmission, and the cams and pistons i origanally wanted anyways, not bad eh? heres some pics for you guys...

came missing the idi cover, and with a seat belt attached. i wasn't a fan of that idea and quickly threw on a chain after the pic.

during the tear down, i didnt inspect the head for cracks yet, i guess i should do that, lol.

theres the 4 valve relieve piston, only a select few w41's have this. all h.o.s are just 2 valve relieves. i dont know if it makes a difference hp wise, but it is nice.

speedy

Re: gtz's build thread update 12/20/12

Post by speedy »

emailed koni, waiting for a response, they dont have a pn on their website but i dont give up that easy... =)

Slinky

Post by Slinky »

speedy wrote:emailed koni, waiting for a response, they dont have a pn on their website but i dont give up that easy... =)
You should talk to Jon aka 3400-modified, i believe he put Koni's or is attempting to do so on his car..

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

There is no PN for our cars they wont give you one either any anything you ask about they will say will void a warranty if you install it on a different vehicle. Best thing is to not tell them what your using it on so you don't have to worry about warranty issues.

All PN's are in the thread Tyler posted and they are all in my car... I have the longer old style ones in the rear right now but I'll be switching to the Thunderbird versions next year, 95+ only rear application

I told you once before that there are no PN's for our cars and it's all retro fitting you need to do. You never responded to what I said or searched the forum.

http://beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99323#p99323

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Looks great, speedy! Personally, I like the clear tail-panels too. The black ones are nice on certain color cars (actually, red is one of the colors that the black ones really look clean on, so you can't lose...), but overall I like the older, more classic '80s look of the clear ones. They match better with the factory tint taillights, I guess.

That was a good deal on the W41 setup. I would keep the taller FDR in the regular tranny for lower highway RPMs, but I have an odd obsession about that -I won't be truly happy until I can eventually end up with a top-gear 1:1 total ratio, with an engine torquey enough to like it. :wink: My old Camaro has the right engine for it, but I can't find an affordable Tremec T-56 six-speed, and the double-overdrive sixth still won't be quite 1:1 at the wheels, even with the highway gears I have in my car.

I don't know about the clear sides and front markers either, on a red car. If you try them on, you should let us see how it looks. Someone swapped the rear side-markers on my yellow Indy with front amber ones, technically legal (in most states, I believe), and it looks good. I wish I had clear sides for my white GTU though, just for the front.

Do you plan on leaving the exterior of the car original and unmolested? Once the headers are on the engine, what else do you plan on doing to the exhaust system?

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
speedy

Post by speedy »

Exterior and interior will remain stock with some new or like new parts, the exhaust I plan on going 2.5in all the way back, gutted cat, and a flowmaster muffler. Gonna be loud but I like it loud.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

speedy wrote:Exterior and interior will remain stock with some new or like new parts, the exhaust I plan on going 2.5in all the way back, gutted cat, and a flowmaster muffler. Gonna be loud but I like it loud.
Nice! That sounds like a good way to go all around, at least to me.

I put a Thrush "Welded" muffler on my 3.4 turbo 'Retta with 2.5" mandrel-bent tubing, large-tube headers and a Garrett T-4 turbo, no cat and a one-off three-port slash-cut rectangular resonating exhaust outlet terminating the short-run exhaust in front of the driver's-side rear wheel, and the car sounds perfect -definitely not quiet, but no barking either, lots of growl and just all muscle. I was introduced to these mufflers when I used two of them on a friend's '69 built 400 4-speed GTO Stage two or three car (you could use the valves as dinner-plates :wink: ) with headers, true dual exhaust, and a similar outlet position (on both sides though). That car is loud. He paid ~$40 each for his muffs, and I bought mine on sale at Autozone for a little over $30. If you cut the piping back, these mufflers support up to 3 inch exhausts and are solid, and look just like Flowmasters. If money is tight, I recommend looking into one of these as an alternative.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26