Post your computer builds

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
DTMAce

Re: Post your computer builds

Post by DTMAce »

:P

Actually it doesn't need it at the moment. I have it slightly tweaked, but not much. Not that you can tweak much with a 2400 anyway. And it doesn't run very hot, last time I checked it under Prime I think the hottest it got was 150 something F, as an average across the 4 cores.

You have to realize, there is a LOT of air moving through this case. lol

Just went and bought the download of Windows 8 Pro from MS for 40 bucks plus tax. It does allow you to create an ISO, but doesn't tell you till you are downloaded, its unpacking files, you are like wtf, then it says install, create DVD ISO or desktop install. LOL

Going to throw a spare drive in the case later and do an install to play around with it. Have ran it before about a year ago, but didn't like it then, probably still won't like it now.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Your going to hate it... don't waste the time.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
themixer

Post by themixer »

yes its interface is full of the "suck", many with more app support it will become better with time

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

no app support is not the issue... its the fact that they are neglecting the desktop environment and thinking everyone has a touch screen tablet and wants their desktop PC to operate like a smart phone. They need two versions, One that has a standard desktop environment for business type applications and advanced users and then the stupid app tablet style for those who just like bright colors and pinching at their screen.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
diedemus

Post by diedemus »

yeah good luck multitasking if you dont have a milti-monitor setup, and by multitasking I mean viewing more than one window. you can do it with some applications, but anything that is windows 8 native runs in the "interface formerly known as metro"

A lot of businesses are seriously eyeing linux and mac options for future upgrades as a direct result of windows 8

as far as temps go, I'm not running the system overclocked right now, but I average 36c at full load, case ambient temp is 40c at full load. The drives get hot and I don't have the cash to swap over everything to ssd. I have a 2tb drive in an external enclosure on the network right now, I will probably convert an old server I have to a nas setup once we move and I have the cash, then just run 2 ssd and a larger storage drive in my primary system.

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Oh, I already hate it. Been working with it for some of my customers that have it on their new desktops/laptops, and many complain, some actually like it, despite not having a touch screen unit to use it with. I am loading it cause I have to have it. Not because I want it.

Actually going to install it on the Asus gaming laptop tonight to replace the Vista it has. (honestly the Vista works fine on it, but still)

I haven't been using the laptop as much, so figured why not. I can always reload the Vista from the recovery disks later. HA.

That and I have to activate my media player upgrade by tomorrow or it isn't free anymore. :P

Oh, I enjoy running Ubuntu, have it on both this Aspire one as a dual boot with 7, and a Dell Mini as a stand alone. Works great.

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

diedemus

Post by diedemus »

I would just install it as a virtual machine if I was only using it to support it, that's how I have 90% of the operating systems and software that I support set up. What media player upgrade are you talking about?

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Actually, its done. Installed it on the gaming laptop. Installed the media center upgrade option. Works well actually, other than me figuring things out. :P

Wanako

Post by Wanako »

Hi guise! What's goin on in dis thread? Win8 h8te? Can I joinz u?

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Eh, it works. I have been playing with Windows 8 Professional with Media Center Extender. (hey, it cost me all of 42 bucks and the MCE was free)

It has its good points. I will give it that. But it does annoy me too. More as I mess with it, install some programs, etc.

Berettas#1

Post by Berettas#1 »

Intel Core i5-3570K
Asus P8Z77-V LK
Corsair 2x4gb lp sticks
1 tb western digital hardrive
660 TI MSI O/C edition
Raidmax 730w semi modular
cooler master strom enforcer
Asus optical drive an wifi card
Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 cpu cooler
Samsung 24 inch monitor
windows 8

I love windows 8 seems like I am one in very few who do though. It boots fast like a ssd 20-30 seconds and I have no issue using all of my programs with no problems

1995 Z26 auto 3100 spfi (sold)
1989 GT 5 speed 2.8 mpfi (crushed)
1993 GT 5 speed 3.1 mpfi (dd)
1988 GTU 5 speed 3500
1996 Base/Z26 hybrid 3400-3500 turbo 5 speed

weba

Post by weba »

I tested one of these

With proper touch screen W8 was actually quite nice to use for random stuff. But I would still install Start8 or other classic UI start menu for professional use :)

Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

I am jelous of everyone who has the top end i7 PC's.

I'm still rocking the ASUS G72gx Laptop: (This is not my review, This is someone elses, same laptop so its relevant)
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-re ... model.html

However I modded mine with cooling pad and the internal fan and such.

I Bought the Intel xTreme Core 2 Duo X9100 CPU and overclocked it to 3.8 GHz. The CPU runs at 105'c.
I overclocked my GPU to 1.0 GHz and it runs at 105'c as well.
The GPU has 1GB GDDR3 Dedicated.
6 GB of ram, and 2 internal Hard drives each is 500 GB separate, no raid. I plan to buy 2 of the Western digital laptop drives that are each 1 TB in size, because I'm running out of space. with my current 1 TB of internal storage. My backup 2 TB hard drive is 3/4 full. I put everything to hard drive, all my games to ISO, movies to MP4, etc...

I bought it for half the price (Exchanged a defective G51 for the G72gx, I was willing to pay the difference) because the manager lady at best buy felt sorry for me having to wait for the two tech employees to argue over the specs for a half hour. I started that argument by accident when I asked them to verify the specs as the box was mis-labeled with 3 different labels. lol

The best part with my laptop is I can still keep up with everyone else, haha :Yahoo!:

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Mine is an earlier gen of that unit style, G71 series. T9400 Core 2, same speed though. 6MB cache I think it has. Mine has the info center above the keyboard and a lit mouse pad, rather than a lit keyboard, but its cool.

4GB, 1GB nVidia 9700M, dual 320GB WD Black setup in RAID 0. STILL gets a 5.9 score, but it doesn't deserve it, the RAID is faster than a typical mechanical. Hell you can get a 5.9 with a single 5400 RPM drive, let alone dual 7200RPM drives in a RAID 0 config which boosts the read and write speeds by nearly double. Makes no bloody sense. Essentially, MS wanted the mechanical drives to never exceed 5.9, even if you are using 10 or 15k RPM high performance drives. Stupid. It makes everyone think that SSd is the way to go. Hate to tell them, but SSD's, while great, aren't always the best choice either. lol

Me and my brother put this to the test once. Setup dual 640 WD Blacks in a RAID 0. Benchmarked them against a high end model OCZ 128GB SSD drive. The results were only slightly in the SSD's favor. We were still getting read rates of over 200MB on the RAID, vs like 250 something on the SSD. Vs nearly 100-150 mb on a single 640. The write speeds were about the same in difference. I don't have the stats in front of me, we did this like a year ago on his i7 tower.

But after all that, he ended up having that SSD simply quit one day and both the WDs are still rocking. At least with a mechanical I can often get them to run, even partially when they flake, SSDs though, when they go, their gone. It sucks.

Edit

I also went and picked up a copy of Start 8 for the that laptop, since it now has Windows 8 on it, and now I have it working like I want, complete with a start menu. It was 5 bucks by itself, but I also went and picked up all the other stuff from Stardock, for 47 bucks (using a discount code). Its worth it, now my desktop looks like a pond. lol Stardock isn't the best thing to add to a system if you don't have a lot of performance, but it does add some nice eye candy.

Browser

Post by Browser »

:roll: http://mihkel-m.planet.ee/skodacombo/im ... 20copy.jpg

A little computer build to Skoda. X40 under rear deck, touchscreen motorized 7" vga screen in front. Small bluetooth keyboard + touchpad for writing.