Catalytic Converter Placement?

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
Racing_Rush

Post by Racing_Rush »

Ok everyone thinks that catalitic converters rob horsepower because back in the 70's they were big, inefficent, and restrictive but with todays technolgy its actaully possible to get great milage, horsepower and still save the environment.  

But thats not the point I want to bring up.  All new cars have placed the catalitic converter bassically right off the exhaust manifolds because it needs to reach like 1300 degrees before it "lights off" and the closer it is to the engine the faster you start saving the environment.  

I am doing up an exhaust system and I want to do a side exit because it just looks much cleaner than a muffler hanging out the back.  That means I have to put the largest round muffler possible where the catalitic converter usually resides... So I wanted to get a high flow cat and put it pretty much right off the exhaust manifolds and put some sort of stick on tin/insulation heat bearier on the fire wall.  Good idea?  This is not only to have cleaner exhuast (not a porblem in my province with no testing what-so-ever) but mainly to quiet the exhaust down because I wont have a proper muffler with baffels.  (I might have to use a resonated tip to but I hope not to).

Anyways this is on a 3.1 and I want to do my system mandrel bent aluminized piping, in 2.5" any ideas or suggestions?

1991 Cavalier Z24- Racing seats, MSD wires, relocated MSD coils, 2.5" exhaust, ported exhaust manifolds, high volume oil pump, poly grafite front end, 92+ brake upgrade, drilled and slotted rotors, 1.5" lowering, 17" Klasse wheels...

Future Plans: 18's, paint, rear discs, more horsepower...
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I would say the Cat idea is done already.  Look on the Furd Focuses, it sits vertical basically going down as a part of the down pipe.  It's a stubby sucker and for the muffler... I don't look into mufflers much, because I don't use them since when the factory one falls off, I go with straight flow loudness.
My personal pref.

_________
-------------
rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Should work fine.  The only problem with heat you will have is probably the steering rack.  Just keep an eye on it.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

wicked-irocz

Post by wicked-irocz »

theres plenty of room below to mount both a cat and glasspack type muffler (only thing that really tucks up in there) and most cats only need to reach 600* to light off.  I would be pretty scared to put a cat that close to the rack.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

I've had issues with the stock downpipe rubbing the firewall when I had broke my passenger upper motor mount. In reverse it would rub. Not sure if a cat would fit, especially one  that's big enough to flow well..

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
gar187er

Post by gar187er »

stop being a tree hugger, and say the hell with the cat!!!! you're in canada, theres enough trees to offset your soon to be catless setup  

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!
Racing_Rush

Post by Racing_Rush »

Hey thanks for all the posts I heard a Mach1 Mustang roar by the other day I am not sure with aftermarket exhaust or not but it sounded so hot.  I am thinking now of just running 2.25" mandrel bend pipe over the rear axle then into a Flowmaster 40 series and myabe put a resonator if I need too.  Thoughts? Sound clips?

1991 Cavalier Z24- Racing seats, MSD wires, relocated MSD coils, 2.5" exhaust, ported exhaust manifolds, high volume oil pump, poly grafite front end, 92+ brake upgrade, drilled and slotted rotors, 1.5" lowering, 17" Klasse wheels...

Future Plans: 18's, paint, rear discs, more horsepower...