IAT

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

IAT

Post by Guest »

If you put a custom intake on your car and you put the IAC into the tube, could the little piece break off and go into the TB? On the original setup the IAT comes before the filter and if the piece broke off it couldn't go into the engine.

What do you think?

Canada

IAT

Post by Canada »

Thats a good question, never thought of it. But, whats gonna break it off? I think the sensor has enough "give" in its spot so even if you would hit it with a wrench, or what have you, it shouldn't break.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta
Chris88CL

IAT

Post by Chris88CL »

You could always put a screen right before the TB or somewhere in the tube past the IAC.  It wont be restrictive enough to make a difference.  If your that worried about it tho just dont put it in the intake.  Relocate it somewhere else nearby.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Chris88CL

IAT

Post by Chris88CL »

Wait a second I think we have our sensors mixed up.  Your thinking IAT not IAC.  The IAC is the idle air CONTROL valve.  Its on the throttle body itself.  Even I missed that

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

IAT

Post by Guest »

You're right, I changed it in the question. Sorry about that I meant IAT.

IAT

Post by Guest »

I think the chances of the IAT coming apart and getting sucked into your engine are  reasonably impossible.

On my motor it is after the filter.  Therefore, if there was ever a known problem of them getting sucked in on my setup there would have been some kind of recall. (I would call a metal clip gettting sucked into the engine a recall-able thing)

It is a possibility, it is just highly improbable.  I would not worry about it getting sucked in whatsoever.

Chances are that if the part were to ever break apart you would have to be touching it from the outside and then you would say "hey, that shouldn't have come off".

I'm just basically saying, if you are cautious, do like what was mentioned with the netting, that is a good idea that I have though about before (not for this, for running with no filter with a wannabe ram-air setup.  Just so no leaves or crap could get in.

If you are like me, don't worry about it.  I will be doing a huge list of mods during my rebuild and the IAT will not be worried about (it will never break I bet.  Only die and stop working.)

-Dave