Flowmaster 80 Series

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
Rettax3

Flowmaster 80 Series

Post by Rettax3 »

Like the title says, I am thinking of putting a used 80 Series Flowmaster on my '90 Yellow Indy, for the time being. I am posting this up here because the
"Exhaust" threads look pretty dead (what, three new postings in the last year?), and because it hasn't been done on my car yet, so I don't want to drop the speculation onto the car's thread in the"Rides" section yet.

Basically, the muffler was hanging off the back end of a 3rd-gen 2.8 V-6 Camaro at the junkyard -which would have made me laugh if it wasn't so sad that someone threw the car away. It was a half-price day, and the muffler looked in really good shape (dirty, but undamaged), so I popped it into my stash for $5-$10 with the decent stainless slash-cut tips still attached. I didn't have a particular need for a transverse-style "Cross-Flow" 80-Series, but it was too good to pass up.

The Yellow Indy I have came with a Cherry-Bomb glass-pack on it, with an otherwise stock engine and exhaust system. At first, the car sounded pretty good, and it still sounds okay to me (especially once warmed) so far as the quality of the sound, but after driving the car around a bit I find that it is a bit too loud and droning for my tastes with the glass-pack it came with (it is my new daily driver until I get some work done to my 3800 SC GTU, which is also too loud despite having five mufflers tucked in underneath it). So, I started thinking about this Flowmaster...

To make it fit right, I would have to cut off both of the tail-pipes (each one is ~2.5 feet long, with the tips, maybe three feet) after the 90-degree elbows that attach them to the muffler (one of them is punctured in the 90), and turn the muffler over to put the inlet on the left instead of the right. Then, I would have to attach a fresh 90 onto the inlet, cut the tail-pipes to the right length, and reweld. After that, it is just a matter of attaching the right hangers, and I am done. The hangers cost a few bucks each, and I can buy the 90s for cheap enough at Autozone, but I would rather avoid crinkle-bends, even for a temporary exhaust system -it might be on the car for a couple of years before I get a chance to upgrade the engine/tranny/exhaust to what I really want on the car, and I would be embarrassed to have crinkle-bent piping on the car for that long. Unfortunately, U-bends are alot more expensive now, and I won't waste any of my old 2.5" stuff on what I consider to be temporary in any scale anymore -that stuff is too expensive to replace now. So, for $17, I can get decent 2" piping to finish the job right, but I'll have to wait for it. I would also have to buy a reducer to allow the tiny factory Beretta exhaust-piping to fit the Flowmaster's 2.5" inlet. With all the piping and stuff, I could just buy a cheap off-the-shelf muffler, save a lot of time cutting and welding, and be sure that the car will be quiet enough for me, until I get to do my upgrades (and then quiet won't be one of my goals anyway 8) ).

My '89 Camaro RS Police Special 350 has one of these 80-Series under it (I think it might be the 3-inch model, though), and it sounds very good with the car's Headman headers, but it is a V-8 -my 'old' '88 Camaro has an open exhaust with a shelled-out cat behind a modified GMC CFI 350, and that makes the RS sound like a Prius (also pounds the RS for acceleration, too).
Anyone here have experience with an 80 Series Flowmaster on a V-6? Any other Flowmasters on a V-6?

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Money pit Beretta

Re: Flowmaster 80 Series

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I had a Flowmaster on my 90GT and it sounded good, but it was very loud. I like the Magnaflow on my 95 3100 much better.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Flowmaster 80 series on my old 95... I loved how my buddy came up with how to install it, any other way and you could see the muffler way too much from behind.

and yes those are the same tips that are still on my Pink car.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Jon, that is.. really clever, actually. The tips look very good too. How was the sound on your setup... and how was the volume of that sound?

Money Pit, I actually have a full-stainless 2" Magnaflow (also a cheap junk-yard salvage, a couple of years ago), but I won't be able to get to it until the end of March, when I'm planning on getting my old storage area cleared out. I took the Indy out for a while today, and it didn't seem that loud to me today, so maybe the car can just wait for the Magnaflow.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming! :Bravo:

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

It was just a 2 1/4 downpipe to universal Cat back to the 80 series and was pretty loud... I added a spiral muffler later in its life to act as a resonator and quite it down just a bit... I have no idea what the exhaust was in these clips though.

It had a deeper sound with the shovel tips on it but I just don't have a vid from way back then. Remember this is also a 3400SFI vs a 3.1MPFI The MPFI's seem to have a very different sound vs the SFI engine.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Robert 89gt

Post by Robert 89gt »

I've got a 40 series on mine sounds good.Jon says its to quiet
Last edited by Robert 89gt on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I'm actually going with a used OEM-style muffler I had sitting around from a luxury/performance car that worked on a while back -it has dual turn-down tips, a 2" inlet (I think, although I didn't measure it -I just know I had to put two reducers on it to fit it onto the tiny stock Indy's exhaust-pipe), and is in very good shape. It is already on the car, but I have thusfar only welded around one side, so there is enough exhaust-leakage to make the car sound kind of rumbly, almost like it did with the glass-pack though not as loud or as raspy. I'll get around to finishing the weld-job at some point. I do think the Magna Flow will eventually find its' way onto this car, unless I save it for one of my Z-24s (the non-turbo one, although who knows, I might drop a T-3 into that car and need a bigger muffler, or I may not even keep it at this point) instead. If I had a second Magna Flow just like this one, I would put them both on the V-8 Teal Indy instead, but I don't think I'll find another just like it in the junk-yard, and I doubt I'll ever want to spend the money on a new one...

I'll update and try to post a photo once I get around to finishing the weld.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I hated the Flowmaster on my car, it was free to me and I still took it off in a few weeks. I just put a Magnflow XL 3-chamber on my truck and it has me wondering what it would sound like on a v6. It has sound deadening material in it and the chambers are a much different design than a Flowmaster. It's a lot more refined. I like my Dynomax VT I put on my 3400, it is quiet, but it is SUPER quiet at idle and cruise. I almost want a little more sound.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I usually like a little rumble from my engines, but what irritates me is the droning at highway speeds -if I am cruising on the highway I don't really need the fatigue from a droning exhaust note. The Yellow Indy is a DD errand-runner right now, and a little too quiet is better than a little too loud -once I modify this car and upgrade the exhaust to whatever is appropriate for whatever engine ends up in here, then I'll want to hear it a little.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26