3400 install. My Z26 is slightly less crappy!

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
96/z26

Re: 3400 install. My Z26 is slightly less crappy!

Post by 96/z26 »

Godlike wrote:Thanks.
Don't really have any good pics of this car handy right now
Now Ill have to do something to the rockers to make the car safe. This car will hopefully be taking me to bfest. It needs front brakes too.

I WANT YOUR SETUP!!!!!! I NEED A MAN CAVE LIKE THAT!!!!

1996 White Z-26 - 71,000 miles
1994 RED Z-26 - 100,000 miles
2009 PONTIAC G8 - 40,000 miles
2009 Pontiac Torrent - 30,000 miles
1991 Cadillac Deville - 100,000 miles
1992 Cadillac Deville Spring edition- 40,000 miles
1958 Plymouth Belvedere - 50,000 miles
Godlike

Post by Godlike »

Thanks. That garage is why i bought the house

Godlike

Post by Godlike »

woody90gtz wrote:I had crap luck with two brand new 3-wire CTS when I did my first swap.
Interesting. Makes me wonder if there is a difference in resistance or resolution between the two sensors. Ill have to look into that. Thanks

Your motor in your avatar looks sick with the red valve covers btw. Makes me think of a small block chevy

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Good thing that was a pretty simple fix. You should be able to depin the harness - I've had to do that to make up some new weatherpack connectors.

Brad your right - a lift is pretty damn nice when working on cars.

I put mine in back in February - I've used it for a number of projects for now - and for my garage space - it works perfectly:

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

:ROFL: I love this thread, the luck you've had with your car sounds like the issues I've had with my Turbo 'Retta lately, I can totally relate!

Putting this in the 'learn something new every day' box, I didn't know fox-body injectors worked on 3400s (I knew they would physically fit, but not that they flowed correctly). Congrats on getting the car running.

I must comment on the 2.4 TC Beretta you mentioned -turbo that car! :good: My '97 Turbo 2.4 TC Z-24 Cavvy is an absolute kick to drive, and at anywhere from 7-9 psi of boost, will keep up with my 3800 SC GTU Beretta up to legal highway speeds -both cars are five-speed, so the playing field is pretty level there, too. Do you have more pics/info on that car, or do you even have a thread for it? Yeah, for a four-banger, the Twin Cams do have a pretty strong, wide torque-band. I can't say that I like much else about the extra stroke-length in them though, square or under-square engines always feel like they are flogging themselves at higher RPMs, and four-cylinder engines need the revs to really get moving...

Okay, back to your 3400 Z... From what I can see in the pics, the car looks pretty good. Does anyone, Sherman, Goodmark, Keystone, etc even make replacement rockers for our cars, or will you have to cut some from a junk-yard donor? Considering that the Z-26's ground effects would conceal all but the purest of evils, have you considered just fabbing something up, or is that more work than it would be worth to save the money? I too am glad you've decided to save it, hopefully the car will appreciate being saved and will come around to treating you right for your efforts. :beer: Keep a good thing going, good luck!

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I still want to try structural foam in the unibody. Not only would it add strength and rigidity to the rocker, it would keep all the crap out of there that helps rust them from the inside out.

Brad if you like the 3400 you should see my new small block build in off topic! haha

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

bonecrrusher wrote:Good thing that was a pretty simple fix. You should be able to depin the harness - I've had to do that to make up some new weatherpack connectors.

Brad your right - a lift is pretty damn nice when working on cars.

I put mine in back in February - I've used it for a number of projects for now - and for my garage space - it works perfectly:

WOAH hold the phone here.... That looks like something that would fit my garage.....

I think I would do either a vertical or high lift garage door conversion first, and then after that I might be able to put in a higher lift.

:twisted:

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Yeah Boner's setup is sweet as hell. It bolts to the floor and is removable. I just need to find one for half price like he did. Lucky fucker!

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Hey, is that "Peder" behind the car sitting down? haha

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Jon - I'll send you a PM - dont want to whore up Brad's thread.

Woody - yes that's David... haha.

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Godlike

Post by Godlike »

I don't care, whore it up. Thats a cool lift. Good to know there's something out there for a lower ceiling. You need some step plates for your hydraulic lines though. They sell them at the yard.
Some one should start a garage/shop thread though. Its cool to see different layouts.

Godlike

Post by Godlike »

Rettax3 wrote::ROFL: I love this thread, the luck you've had with your car sounds like the issues I've had with my Turbo 'Retta lately, I can totally relate!

Putting this in the 'learn something new every day' box, I didn't know fox-body injectors worked on 3400s (I knew they would physically fit, but not that they flowed correctly). Congrats on getting the car running.

I must comment on the 2.4 TC Beretta you mentioned -turbo that car! :good: My '97 Turbo 2.4 TC Z-24 Cavvy is an absolute kick to drive, and at anywhere from 7-9 psi of boost, will keep up with my 3800 SC GTU Beretta up to legal highway speeds -both cars are five-speed, so the playing field is pretty level there, too. Do you have more pics/info on that car, or do you even have a thread for it? Yeah, for a four-banger, the Twin Cams do have a pretty strong, wide torque-band. I can't say that I like much else about the extra stroke-length in them though, square or under-square engines always feel like they are flogging themselves at higher RPMs, and four-cylinder engines need the revs to really get moving...

Okay, back to your 3400 Z... From what I can see in the pics, the car looks pretty good. Does anyone, Sherman, Goodmark, Keystone, etc even make replacement rockers for our cars, or will you have to cut some from a junk-yard donor? Considering that the Z-26's ground effects would conceal all but the purest of evils, have you considered just fabbing something up, or is that more work than it would be worth to save the money? I too am glad you've decided to save it, hopefully the car will appreciate being saved and will come around to treating you right for your efforts. :beer: Keep a good thing going, good luck!
I should be a little on the rich side with these injectors according to the mad scientist (Dusty) but it runs great and is getting decent mileage it seems. Hard to tell exactly when you cant fill the tank past 3/4.

Ill make a thread on the twin cam when I have some time.

My plan for the rockers is to make some patches from scratch using heavy gauge sheet metal. I told are engineer we need a press brake at work so he ordered a 4 footer. I do believe someone makes rockers for L bodies can't remember who.

I still want to try structural foam in the unibody. Not only would it add strength and rigidity to the rocker, it would keep all the crap out of there that helps rust them from the inside out.
I like this idea. I imagine a body shop supply store should have it wouldn't they?

bonecrrusher

Post by bonecrrusher »

Brad - nice use of a Twin Cam IDI cover.

They sell 90* hydraulic hose fittings at Tractor Supply - might need to pick up a few of those to get the hoses out of the way.

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

bonecrrusher wrote:Brad - nice use of a Twin Cam IDI cover.
...Actually not a Twin Cam IDI cover, that's from a 2.3 DOHC Quad, non-H.O. engine. But yeah, nice use for that, I've got a number of those things, a couple of H.O. covers, a couple of L.O. covers (like that one), and a few LD9 Twin Cam covers, I even have a SOHC Quad IDI cover -a very different animal, since it doesn't have the rear cam housing to support it. I wouldn't walk on the High Output covers, but the rest are, well, yeah, that is again a good use for them. :pardon: Better that than just getting scrap value from them, and it is hard to sell them unless they've been painted, powder-coated, or polished, even then they just aren't worth much...

The only reservation I have about the foam idea would be the concern of trapping moisture in there if the body's flexing caused it to separate from the sheet-metal, since that foam is not very flexible (if I am thinking of the same type of stuff you are). I also don't know if it would provide that great of a benefit otherwise, unless you were trying to make the car float. :oops: Couldn't the rockers (and other cavities within the car's frame) be coated with something else that couldn't be separated from the metal? In aviation, hollow steel components, like those used as engine-frames, are internally coated with hot, boiled linseed oil -this creates a rust-inhibitive barrier that stays in place pretty well. Perhaps an atomized oil-spray applied once every five years or so to key spots within the car's frame would keep corrosion at bay? This could be done as part of a regular lube-job if these key locations could be figured out... Hey, GM, wake up! You engineered these things... :fool:
Well, it was just a thought. :pardon:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
scannerman

Post by scannerman »

Glad to see the car is getting restored. I remember the treck to NC in that beast. It desperately needed the 3400 swap.

2009 Cobalt SS LNF
1995 Z26 3100 auto <--- Totalled
1989 base 2.8 auto <-- Sold