My Legacy Rebuild...

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: My Legacy Rebuild...

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Just when I thought everything was going to be good I find a cracked radiator top tank... WTF!!!!!!!!

Only parts left on this drive train I haven't had to take apart is the Trans and the rear end, and the trans pops out of third when there is no load on it... LOL

Please hold little subaru rear end please!...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

And you still like Subarus? haha

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah. It's all age wear and tear.... crap happens, its a 7yr old car with 158k on it. This is also not a stock setup so I'm asking for things to have issues.

Hey at least I don't have a car payment to worry about on any of my cars. It makes repairing them much easier to cope with. I don't think I could ever imagine having a car out of warranty and having to pay to fix it... Yuck.

How much OEM stuff fails on our Beretta's and we still like those?

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Still, 7yrs isn't that old. And at that age a decent amount of the mileage must be highway.

This car payment thing is new to me. Can't say I ever really planned on one...but really it's pretty cheap. Works out to $236/mo @ 1.9% with the big down payment. I can stomach that for the peace of mind of a 100k warranty.

If you average it out I probably put at least that much in my cars per month when modding...

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

woody90gtz wrote:Still, 7yrs isn't that old. And at that age a decent amount of the mileage must be highway.

This car payment thing is new to me. Can't say I ever really planned on one...but really it's pretty cheap. Works out to $236/mo @ 1.9% with the big down payment. I can stomach that for the peace of mind of a 100k warranty.

If you average it out I probably put at least that much in my cars per month when modding...
I'll stick with what I have... I want nothing to do with a payment.

And didn't you say that you were going to up the boost on the cruze until you realized that crap would start breaking because it's not a strong motor? LOL seems like a similar situation to mine ;)

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

My thought there was, is it me, or does that car seem to have less durability than many of the Beretta's I have encounted? Not even 200k and it blew a piston? Or is that abnormal or are you running it harder than OEM recommended? lol

Just wondered how it seems many of these 17-27 year old Beretta's seem to hold up better.. :P

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

3X00-Modified wrote:This is also not a stock setup so I'm asking for things to have issues.
Jon already said he's pushing the setup above stock. FWIW, stock boost is around 13.5-14 PSI. Jon is pushing upwards of 19 PSI, which alters the durability of the pistons and internals. What happened with Jon's pistons is common for those pushing higher boost on a stock engine; the pistons weren't designed with thick enough ringlands to handle as high of boost as some people go.

On that note, Jon's PSI isn't abnormal for his turbo/engine setup.

Also, to add to it, I'm peaking at 24PSI on stock internals, and have been running that way for 3.5 years and over 40K miles. Does it see peak boost often? Maybe 1-2 times per week.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Also add in there Geoff, I got my car at 94k on the clock... you just hit 100k... No idea how mine was treated before, some people don't read the "premium fuel recommended" and if they used cheapo gas they could have cracked the piston from knock way back when and I just destroyed it over time. Also as noted my failure could have been a result of the badly sealing exhaust valves that were replaced, (all 8 were replaced due to being very pitted) causing a compression leak and backflow of exhaust pressure into the cylinder resulting in #4 running lean, aka more knock than desired and so on.

My wife's Impreza had 186k miles on it before it was hit and totaled, ALL STOCK other than the timing belt being replaced at 100k as suggested... Stock clutch everything... So Really I don't need to dispute the reliability and anyone should realize that once you mod you can't compare anymore, and I know that as well as anyone else should.

I've been pushing 18 or more PSI since 100K so that 56k miles on that setup... Geoff you have 16k left........................... BOOM!..... LOL

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I was also using a base tune from someone on romraider for a while before I got help with boost control so could that have contributed, sure... Anything is possible really since I didn't find the exact problem. All I know is it had random misfires on #4 for a year or so that I was trying to trouble shoot and never solved. They are gone now and the injectors and coils are the same so that leaves a mechanical issue.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

Haha... we'll see. I've had mine since 27K. And I'm at 106K thank you very much! I'm crossing my fingers for no BOOM lol

I'm glad to see it back on the road, but definitely not looking forward to doing this if I have issues.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I was just never impressed with Tifffany's Subaru. It consumed oil at just 60k and it was bone stock. Ate brakes too and the cat converter had to be replaced last year. Same thing with her step dad's '09 with 90k..converter was shot and it ate brakes like crazy.

One of the reasons I decided not to tune Tiff's Cruze was your Sube. And there have been a couple killed pistons in tuned cars...they are hypereutectics from the factory and the rings lands have gone in some. That is going from 16psi stock to 22. The older Ecotecs were almost bulletproof right from the factory and I assumed these 1.4s were too...but they were modified for less weight and better MPG so they are not as strong.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

heavywoody wrote:
3X00-Modified wrote: Also, to add to it, I'm peaking at 24PSI on stock internals, and have been running that way for 3.5 years and over 40K miles. Does it see peak boost often? Maybe 1-2 times per week.
Wow, that's it? My LHU Ecotec wants to hit peak boost ALL the time. Supposedly it peaks at 20 psi, but I have no proof to back that up. It's been completely reliable too (for the 6000 miles on the car LOL)

Cliff Scott
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Scheduled a dyno day with Mike at ESP's dyno in Sterling MA... It will be nice to have numbers on this engine as well as have a good Subaru tuner to look over what I'm currently running and tweak it to a nice strong reliable level.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Baseline of 219/279 after he messed with the fuel and spark tables we ended with 255whp/321ftlbs I'm quite happy with the outcome! Never changed my boost table or anything that I did, he just dialed in the overly conservative fuel and spark stuff, as well as some tip in enrichment tables. I've been a bit leary to mess with the fuel and spark stuff without some direction so now I have a better idea of what works.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

That's a damn good jump. Sounds like money well spent.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube