My Legacy Rebuild...

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: My Legacy Rebuild...

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yes definitely worth the time and money invested. Also great to have some numbers on the car after building it.

Now its time to go and see if I can actually launch the thing at a drag strip and see what it puts down.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Pics because it did happen... LOL

Pic of First and second run... that's just insane he gained that much that quickly!

Excuse the stupid auto focus...

This one was on manual focus.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Well I was getting a bit sick of the Clutchmaster Clutch I had in there... When it was up to operating temp if you were on any sort of incline and tried to release the clutch like a normal human being, it would chatter so hard you could hear the exhaust hitting the cross member... I would have to slip it to the point of smelling clutch to get it to engage smoothly, this is after 5k of break in. Now keep in mind here, this is a FX100 which is supposed to be like stock engagement. It's a full face organic material clutch.

I got conformation I could send it back for evaluation so I figured while I have it out I will fix my third gear problem where it pops out when you are just lightly driving around on and off the gas.

So on to the trans rebuild LOL..

Got some parts to clean.

Reference photo...

Bad third/fourth gear sleeve...

Bad 3rd/4th fork.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Here are some pics of the Clutches... Stock with 50k on it first... then the 5k Clutch Master clutch.

Overall Pressure Plate side

Pressure plate side

Flywheel side

Clutchmaster Overall pic pressure plate side

ClutchMaster Pressure Plate side

Clutchmaster Flywheel side

Clutchmaster Pressure plate

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

That is one crazy looking wing wong trans...

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

When I post pics of it going back together I think it will make more sense... It's actually quite simple when it comes down to it.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Input shaft all taken apart...

The ring on this is what someone said I need to replace but I cant figure out how I'm supposed to press that off... There is like no space to get in there with a bearing separator... I hope it's not part of 3rd gear because to replace that I need to buy 3rd and 4th drive gears and the 3/4rd driven gear since that is one part.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Well leaning toward that part being laser welded to the gear, or friction welded... so It's not getting replaced. The 3rd/4th set I would need to replace it is over $200 for the drive and driven gears and then on top of that I would need to replace more bearings on the driven shaft. I'll leave it alone and hope for the best with the new hub/sleeve syncro and shift fork going in for 3rd.

Got an update that the "clutch material was bad" and they are repairing it and sending it back... Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Hard to believe this small pile is $200 worth of parts and I'm waiting on one syncro set which is over $100 alone!...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
99GaGT3X00

Post by 99GaGT3X00 »

that razor blade is like $30 of it right there.. :lol:

i wouldn't even want to touch the 4eat on my subaru..not sure what's holding that together..must be some black magic or some crap like that. :lol:

3400/3500 Hybrid
227/233@.050 .515.515 lift 112LSA
15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400

99 Grand Am GT------03 Subaru Outback H6
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Wow. Parts that aren't discontinued. haha

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah it's odd being able to just send an email to a guy and have Genuine Subaru parts boxes appear at your door step without a hiccup..

Got my clutch back yesterday... Looks brand new Thank god... Having flywheel turned this weekend and hopefully getting the rest of the trans parts so I can put this damn thing back together next week.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Grind em til you find em! lol

Only downside to subaru's, the junk yards around here dont have many and when they do get them in, they are picked over/quarter sections missing.

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Got my last part on thursday... Was gone friday so I hope to work on it tonight or tomorrow night. Need to re-assemble the input shaft then put the trans back together as well as measure the pre-load on the output gear for the new bearings... I hope I can get a shim for it quickly or it maths out to what I have. I'm tired of waiting for parts!

Only bad part about around here is finding a u-pull it JY... many are inventory only and charge an arm and a leg. They wanted over 4k for a 60k mile Legacy GT motor without the turbo, I was looking after I blew mine up... But I opted away since it has the same "bad pistons" in it that mine had.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Tuesday was the first day I got to work on it since getting parts over the weekend... I got the input shaft all pressed back together with the new hub/sleeve and syncro and new insert clips. I also did the bearings on the transfer shaft which means I had to measure for preload on that when assembling the rest of the trans. New fork is installed and ready to go...

I was hoping the bearings work out to the same distance since the shaft and case are the same and I can re-use the old shim, otherwise I would have to wait for more parts to come in, at least I would have been able to assemble the main trans assy though and only be waiting to install the tail shaft at that point.

Started off measuring everything and ended up with 0.039 as the max for the shim... Then measured what I had and it was 0.038... Sweet! (I never measure the shim first... getting near exact on the thickness means I measured it right! lol) And I noticed they actually completely changed the design of the bearings from what I had in it so I think I'm really lucky it still worked out to the same preload, the race was much thicker and the bearing was smaller diameter interesting change. You can see the thicker race in the extension housing in the 4th photo below.

Whole thing is back together and the 3rd gear ring appears to stay where it should now and doesn't move as much as before so I'm hoping this is a sign of it being fixed. I'm getting the flywheel back tonight as well... Re-Surfaced at the .075 spec that Clutchmaster asks for so hopefully that and the disc rebuild fixes the chatter issue I had.

Not a whole lot of pics going back together, I got going and didn't want to grab the phone covered in 90 weight.

All done!

I think the first thing I'm doing when this is done is cleaning my garage! I have half a parts Beretta spread out in there besides the legacy all torn apart.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"