Speed Gov. Question

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
bagged_and_loud

Re: Speed Gov. Question

Post by bagged_and_loud »

3X00-Modified wrote:there is no bypass other than disconnecting the speed sensor but then that messes up the shifting of the transmission.

Why do you need to go faster than 109 anyways? Leave it alone stay alive!

And don't tell me for drag racing... I'm running 12's and still haven't hit 109 yet... I'm at 107 top speed.
I figured as much, but i had no clue. Just was going by the po. Thanks for the info.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

woody90gtz wrote:How are you planning on getting more than one cam in there?
:ROFL: Smart@$$! I love it!

Hey, if he doesn't want a governor, he has a right to ask how to get rid of it. It is kinda like buying a gun without a trigger, IMO. Sure it is safer that way, but it may not work right in certain circumstances... Of course, I've seen the movie Duel too many times.

Bagged, look around, see if maybe to previous owner did put in a switch to disconnect the VSS -at those speeds, the transmission probably won't be shifting out of OD anyway. It is a stupid way of doing it, but it would be fine for emergencies. I also have heard rumors that the governor disables on 'some' vehicles if the hazards are turned on -I don't believe this for a second, but I suppose it is possible... :crazy:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
bagged_and_loud

Thanks for the info. I'd have no idea where to look. It's not a big deal, was just curious.

RobertISaar

Post by RobertISaar »

depends on what is meant by bypass.... you could build some semi-elaborate hardware to simulate the speed sensor's signal and selectively feed that to the PCM when above a certain speed, making the PCM think you're sitting at 100MPH when you pass that threshold.... not the greatest idea, but i can visualize exactly how to wire up such a circuit in my head.

of course, removing the limiter in the program is a lot simpler, not that i'm recommending such an action....

as far as "hazards defeat speed limiter"..... maybe on some cars, but not these. i would venture so far as to say no GM vehicles have ever been programmed as such.

bagged_and_loud

I'm guessing one night I'm going to have to go on a country road and flip it and see what happens. Supposedly the po has had it 120...

I agree, there's no need for it, but I just don't like a computer telling me That's fast enough. And every once in a while, it's nice to unwind and let loose by yourself. Just you, the car, and the open road. Racing, not so much. We all have our opinion on things, and I respect everyone's thought. But I know hitting 120 feels a lot better then 108usher. But, That's just me. :beer:

RobertISaar

Post by RobertISaar »

so...... what are the speed ratings on your tires? because that is generally where GM set the limiters at in a factory calibration.

bagged_and_loud

They're aftermarket 17s. But it's a 94 z26. I think the tires are still R rated though. I know thought with the tire size the speedo says 110 at shut off.

(This topic the way it's going, won't be ground for a ban or temp ban, will/is it?)

RobertISaar

Post by RobertISaar »

never, ever pass your tire's speed rating. losing a tire at 120MPH is going to ruin more than one person's day.

if you happen to be in a location where you can legally run up to or past your limiter, its your life(and presumably no one else's) in the balance. anywhere other than that, you'll deserve any punishment handed out to you. i was a teenager once, found out about the ~108ish limiter on the monte carlo on more than one occasion.... and after enough speeding tickets, i quit doing that. i'm thankful i didn't destroy my own or anyone else's life in the process of learning how much speed costs.

bagged_and_loud

I agree about the tire rating. The rest, to each there own, and I would like to respectfully leave it at that.

bagged_and_loud

Is indeed wired in and doesn't effect shifting when bypassed.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Just a VSS cut-out, or is it something more technological than that?

Several of my cars are too old to have governors, and a number of them have now been bypassed (indirectly) during modifications with piggy-backed ECMs operating the engines with no VSS data. If I had a DHP, I would remove the governors from all of my cars, just as a precaution for emergency situations. Typically, it doesn't matter that they are there though, as I don't run my cars out on a track. I won't say much more about it than that, this isn't the forum for it...

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

bagged_and_loud wrote:Is indeed wired in and doesn't effect shifting when bypassed.
If it's a 4t60e it will affect some shifting aspects when shut off and starting from a stop, it will not use 4th gear IIRC or TCC lockup.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Yeah, I remember Chris doing a top speed run with his stock-tune 4l60e with a 3400 and he had to unplug the VSS but the car was stuck in 3rd from a dead stop.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
bagged_and_loud

Well, I'm guess if it was vss related the speedo wouldn't read right? It seemed like it was in 4th. I flipped the with when it was in fourth and it didn't down shift. Now, what is TCC? Torque converter... ? I have no idea how it's word in. The cat came this way. And Supposedly set up for nos.. either way, last night was enough. I don't want to thrash on it. But it was kind of cool to know it's there.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

woody90gtz wrote:Yeah, I remember Chris doing a top speed run with his stock-tune 4l60e with a 3400 and he had to unplug the VSS but the car was stuck in 3rd from a dead stop.
A 4L60e, huh? Wow. :pardon: (Hey, just making sure it dishes back over to you sometimes... :D )
bagged_and_loud wrote:Well, I'm guess if it was vss related the speedo wouldn't read right? It seemed like it was in 4th. I flipped the with when it was in fourth and it didn't down shift. Now, what is TCC? Torque converter... ? I have no idea how it's word in. The cat came this way. And Supposedly set up for nos.. either way, last night was enough. I don't want to thrash on it. But it was kind of cool to know it's there.
TCC = Torque Converter Lock-up Clutch. This is the part in the tc that engages at highway speeds, roughly 40+mph (someone here could tell you exactly where for your car), and takes out the slip from the tc for lower highway RPMs and better fuel economy. Almost like having an extra gear on top... Of course, with a five-speed conversion, that wouldn't matter anyway... :oops:

So, your speedo did or did not drop out when you flipped this switch?

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26