Sold my favorite Chevy car :(

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
DOHC_tuner

Sold my favorite Chevy car :(

Post by DOHC_tuner »

Well guys I sold the car I have always been wanting for years. After owning it for a year a few days ago my friend took over payments on my Chevy Cobalt SS turbo.

Good times. It was a fun car. Very very very fast. I learned a lot with it. My first car running a full dialed in tune as well as the option of running E85 to increase the horses and torque.

The turbo version is so easy to get it to get up and go. STI WRX and EVO’s didn’t stand a chance. A few of them were surprised. Modded Mustangs too were shocked loosing to a grocery go getter. LOL. Oh and dont even mention a SRT4....those were too easy.

Well now Im back in my GTZ Quad 4 Chevy Beretta as a daily and my Chevy Cavalier Z24 as a project.

For the Beretta I have long block I tore down to the bare block and crank. Its currently on a engine stand awaiting to see the machine shop and some W41 cams.

Cavalier has a built engine at the machine shop awaiting for the bill to be paid off.

Oh i got so much plans now that im not in debt! :)

Im happy and sad at the same time. Hopefully in a few years they will be more affordable. Or I find a better paying job :)

speedy

Re: Sold my favorite Chevy car :(

Post by speedy »

i hate my cobalt

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

speedy wrote:i hate my cobalt
= no turbo

I hated the wife's Legacy too, but Jon & Geoff like their boosted ones.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

DOHC_tuner wrote:The turbo version is so easy to get it to get up and go. STI WRX and EVO’s didn’t stand a chance. A few of them were surprised. Modded Mustangs too were shocked loosing to a grocery go getter. LOL. Oh and dont even mention a SRT4....those were too easy.
Could it take my 255hp/310tq Legacy? I find that a bit hard to believe... A cobalt Turbo is listed at 260/260 stock... CRANK hp...(only 10 over a stock 05 Legacy GT) my numbers are at the wheels after going through a AWD trans. I bet the cobalt is about 210-215 at the wheels, maybe beating a stock Legacy as well as stock of the above listed cars yes. Any properly modded WRX STI and EVO would put down more power than mine easily. I still have a stock turbo. And some Mustangs are just a bad comparison... I mean come on, it's a Mustang.

I don't like comparisons of cars with a few pulls on the highway either, it's not quite accurate... go to the track and get some real numbers ;) I do plan on doing this with my Leggy too... Maybe bring it to Chevy Fest this year and just run it once or twice to see what it does.

:beer:

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Quad4Z26

Post by Quad4Z26 »

Many people underestimate the LNF, a simple tunes wakes these cars up!

A coworker has one. Has a canned tune, intake, exhaust and runs consistent 12.7s in the quarter mile with 2.1 60ft. Pulls pretty hard on roll runs.

Pretty stout for what they are.

This guy layed down 284whp/324wtq tune only...granted its fwd obviously.

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf ... ts-259563/

1of 896 Quad4 Z26's....now 3500 5spd swapped!-sold
'14 C7 Z51 7SPD
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I like how you call it a "tune only" that includes a greatly increased level of boost since its computer controlled so it's quite obvious on why it wakes it up. That is one thing that bugs me even about the subi guys... They are always like Oh it's just a tune...

I was also under the assumption this car was 100% stock since he didn't state it had a tune or anything.

I'm sure if I shoved 20+ PSI through my motor I would be in the realm of 275WHP just like Geoff is...

I'm not arguing the power potential of the LNF either because I know they can pack a punch, it is kinda crazy the power you can get with direct injection. I just hate the "my car will decimate all" claims. ;)

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Quad4Z26

Post by Quad4Z26 »

DOHC_tuner wrote: Good times. It was a fun car. Very very very fast. I learned a lot with it. My first car running a full dialed in tune as well as the option of running E85 to increase the horses and torque.
Tune?
3X00-Modified wrote:I like how you call it a "tune only" that includes a greatly increased level of boost since its computer controlled so it's quite obvious on why it wakes it up. That is one thing that bugs me even about the subi guys... They are always like Oh it's just a tune...

I was also under the assumption this car was 100% stock since he didn't state it had a tune or anything.

I'm sure if I shoved 20+ PSI through my motor I would be in the realm of 275WHP just like Geoff is...

I'm not arguing the power potential of the LNF either because I know they can pack a punch, it is kinda crazy the power you can get with direct injection. I just hate the "my car will decimate all" claims. ;)

Obviously since its computer controlled its only logical they'll raise the boost with the "tune" to gain more power and attract more customers. Lol

Oh, my car is faster than yours...LOL j/k :beer:

1of 896 Quad4 Z26's....now 3500 5spd swapped!-sold
'14 C7 Z51 7SPD
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Quad4Z26 wrote:
DOHC_tuner wrote: Good times. It was a fun car. Very very very fast. I learned a lot with it. My first car running a full dialed in tune as well as the option of running E85 to increase the horses and torque.
Tune?
Epic fail... that's all I have to say about myself right now.

And yes I know it's only logical to raise the boost but too many make it sound like its only a computer change that's done... they never say, OH yeah the "Tune" raises my boost from 15 to 21PSI... Info like that greatly helps in understanding the potential power level.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

I dont know too much about the Legacy. But the Cobalt SS is pretty light. And she pulls really hard. Im sorry but I laugued out loud when you said 210-215hp to the wheels. Maybe if it were a Supercharged Cobalt yes. But with the LNF, its a whole different animal. Evey import owner thinks its slow. I love it for that because its a sleeper for those who dont know. Trust me i have pulled many bus lenghts on many cars. Then they give me this WTF look.

I picked up the car with only a Trifecta tune on it. And it pulled really hard with the stock parts. After a few months I installed just an intake and downpipe, ditched that tune and switched to Hptuners. I honestly didnt see a big difference. However i did notice less knock which was safe and good. So that led me to say it was one hell of a aggresive Trifecta tune. It was good but did knock. Anyways once i went E85.....it was BEAST mode. I had hard torque steer and wheel spin. Sadly no one wanted to run when I had the ethanal tune on. Even on bald ass tires....LOL

But again these cars need a tune. There are many out there running intakes and downpipes on the stock tune....and they are still slow. Sucks because GM included a learn down feature to stop it from increasing HP unless it gets tuned.

Its not the fastest car in the world and better than everyones....im not saying that. What Im saying is they are very easy to make fast. Just a tune and your golden. Heck run a SRI intake for some noise and enjoy that "BOV" noise without a BOV.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

My original posts were under the assumption it was stock so I guess you can disregard what I wrote.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Yeah, a Trifecta tune on a Cruze bumps boost from 16 to 22 and makes like 30% more horsepower. I still want to do it but the wife doesn't want to void the warranty. And the ECM will only allow the car to make a certain amount of torque...it scales back the boost to keep it at a threshold.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Lothurin

Post by Lothurin »

does a tune help the MPG or less it on the Cruze?

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Both. If the cruise control switch is armed it is in "eco" mode and it helps by 1-2mpg...so no difference really. Cruise switch unarmed and it is the performance tune.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Sorry to hear you had to sell off your dream car -that sucks. But it sounds like you have a good attitude about it, which is even more important. That is one nice looking Cobie, too. Silver? Quite possibly the best-looking color on that car, and I like those blacked-out tails on it too. My niece ended up with a super-clean though very high-mileage Cobalt after selling my Z-26 back to me some years ago, and absolutely loves that car.
3X00-Modified wrote:Could it take my 255hp/310tq Legacy? I find that a bit hard to believe... A cobalt Turbo is listed at 260/260 stock... CRANK hp...(only 10 over a stock 05 Legacy GT) my numbers are at the wheels after going through a AWD trans. I bet the cobalt is about 210-215 at the wheels, maybe beating a stock Legacy as well as stock of the above listed cars yes. Any properly modded WRX STI and EVO would put down more power than mine easily. I still have a stock turbo. And some Mustangs are just a bad comparison... I mean come on, it's a Mustang. :beer:
My ZX-11 was faster than your car -10.55 second quarter-mile at over 130 MPH, 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, and all with only ~130 HP at the wheel and totally bone-stock. There, how was that little display of burn-out measuring? :roll: :lol:
Seriously though Jon, I thought GM was rating all their engines in Net (WHP, not ~Net CHP), rather than Gross CHP. :fool: I worked at a resto shop with a guy who used to test-drive for GM, and he was adamant that GM was rating their engines at the wheels with all accessories running (including A/C, if equipped). Of course, he was a former driver, not an engineer or marketing flunky. :wink: We see basic ratings thrown out on our cars, I assumed it was an average between auto and manual (for models equipped with both tranny types). Are you certain that this isn't so? I've also read in a couple of different magazines and even tech manuals where they mention that engines are rated for Net, not Gross, since the '70s, but that doesn't state definitively it is Net WHP... Interesting if that is all wrong. :unknown:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Net HP is not WHP. Net is with all the accessories and through the mufflers, but it is still BHP at the crank. It still ends up being quite a bit less than the gross HP correction factor that car magazines, etc. use.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube