Sold my favorite Chevy car :(

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
DOHC_tuner

Re: Sold my favorite Chevy car :(

Post by DOHC_tuner »

I must say, my GTZ needs a turbo kit now. I hate slow :(

But first a timing belt kit swap, fiberglass hood, built engine with W41 cams, and some suspension work. Power to weight ratio!!!!!!!!

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Rettax3 wrote:Sorry to hear you had to sell off your dream car -that sucks. But it sounds like you have a good attitude about it, which is even more important. That is one nice looking Cobie, too. Silver? Quite possibly the best-looking color on that car, and I like those blacked-out tails on it too. My niece ended up with a super-clean though very high-mileage Cobalt after selling my Z-26 back to me some years ago, and absolutely loves that car.
3X00-Modified wrote:Could it take my 255hp/310tq Legacy? I find that a bit hard to believe... A cobalt Turbo is listed at 260/260 stock... CRANK hp...(only 10 over a stock 05 Legacy GT) my numbers are at the wheels after going through a AWD trans. I bet the cobalt is about 210-215 at the wheels, maybe beating a stock Legacy as well as stock of the above listed cars yes. Any properly modded WRX STI and EVO would put down more power than mine easily. I still have a stock turbo. And some Mustangs are just a bad comparison... I mean come on, it's a Mustang. :beer:
My ZX-11 was faster than your car -10.55 second quarter-mile at over 130 MPH, 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, and all with only ~130 HP at the wheel and totally bone-stock. There, how was that little display of burn-out measuring? :roll: :lol:
Seriously though Jon, I thought GM was rating all their engines in Net (WHP, not ~Net CHP), rather than Gross CHP. :fool: I worked at a resto shop with a guy who used to test-drive for GM, and he was adamant that GM was rating their engines at the wheels with all accessories running (including A/C, if equipped). Of course, he was a former driver, not an engineer or marketing flunky. :wink: We see basic ratings thrown out on our cars, I assumed it was an average between auto and manual (for models equipped with both tranny types). Are you certain that this isn't so? I've also read in a couple of different magazines and even tech manuals where they mention that engines are rated for Net, not Gross, since the '70s, but that doesn't state definitively it is Net WHP... Interesting if that is all wrong. :unknown:

GM has NEVER rated a car on a sale flyer or spec sheet with actual WHP numbers I can guarantee you that. It's always Crank or BHP or whatever you want to refer to it... bottom line it excludes driveline loss. My subie is the same, that was marketed as 250/250... You'd be luck to see 190 at the wheels with that setup. And my original Beretta rated 160hp... nets you 124WHP through an auto, 22.5% loss... really close to what people say of 25% loss through an auto.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

3X00-Modified wrote:I don't like comparisons of cars with a few pulls on the highway either, it's not quite accurate... go to the track and get some real numbers ;)
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/li ... 13-page-10

Cliff Scott
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I can't wait till they are done with bringing this relic back... it's 30min from me!

http://thompsonspeedway.com/

Unfortunately it's killing the circle track divisions for next year but hopefully they will be back to a full schedule in 2015.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"