In dash DVD

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
HateMyAuto

In dash DVD

Post by HateMyAuto »

It occured to me that there is only one post about mobile video. It also occured to me that mobile video is fairly expensive, and most of us can think of better things to do with $1000. But I digress. Who has an in dash DVD player? Is it just a DVD player with the screen mounted elsewhere, or is it a flip up? Wouldn't the center heater/A/C vents get in the way? I'm just wondering, mainly because I'm thinking about getting a DVD player (and this is me, so it means in the next five years) and really like the look of the ones that are meant to fit in double dash openings. The Beretta has a 3 1/2" opening, so I'm assuming with a little cutting of the face plate, a unit meant for 4" would fit, as the recess for the stereo is large enough to accomadate(sp?) the player (I just measured, the recessed area for a 96 is about 8" wide by 4 1/2" tall and 7" deep, without removing the rear plastic).

Thoughts, comments, suggestions...?

As an afterthought, it was discussed a while ago about removing the in dash cupholders and replacing them with a flip up unit, was that ever done?

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro

In dash DVD

Post by Guest »

I have an in dash DVD player. It's the JVC KD-AVX1 which retails here for $480 with tax. It has a 3" monitor on the front and is a single DIN unit. Even though the monitor seem small, I can view it from outside the car (at the door) without any problems. However..... I did add an 8" dropdown monitor between the sunvisors (which is a big pain in the *** when the bass hits, it keeps dropping down).

I've seen one or 2 people glass in a 7" monitor where the headunit usually goes and move the headunit to another location (passenger side cupholder). Decent idea there.

Jeff P

In dash DVD

Post by Jeff P »

Yes, there have been a couple of flip-up monitor installs in the cupholder.  One person even set his up so that when it retracted it still looked like a cupholder (had the "pull" part attached to it).  Can't find the link or pics...As far as glassing a screen into the radio area, the viewing angle sucks unless you're slumping really low in the rear seat.  If the whole thing were angled up more it would be a great location for the screen.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
HateMyAuto

In dash DVD

Post by HateMyAuto »

Alot of the screens for the double din units have adjustable screen angles, so I'm not sure how much of a problem that is. Another problem seems to be about who can really see it. Back seat passengers won't be able to, unless they sit in the crappy middle seat, and even then a shifter will be in the way. But who cares about passengers, they're just dead weight anyways.

'94 Camaro

In dash DVD

Post by Guest »

I believe there is somebody working on a glassed in monitor over on Bstuff and Corsicas.com. I think it's Blue93, but not positive.
As far as being able to view.. I thought I would have a problem viewing a little ole 3" screen. It's actually not that bad. My headunit can be angled 4 differant ways but I haven't really had to use it yet. I was just showing off a little at work and fired up a DVD (xXx with Vin Diesel). Had them each take a seat in the drivers seat and see if they had a problem.. Only person that had a problem was almost 7' tall, but I dropped down the overhead monitor for him.

zach82

In dash DVD

Post by zach82 »

Someone at one of the BFests I went to (2001 and 2002) had a DVD player where the screens were in the sun visors; it was one of the coolest things I had ever seen.  I think it might have been Angel, but I could be mistaken.

I know in a lot of states you have to watch where the screens are mounted or they'll ticket you, even if you're not using it as you drive.

1994 Purple Pearl Base (RWD conversion project)
1973/77 Ford 3/4 ton 4X4 long bed
1987 Suzuki Samurai / heavily modded
My site  http://www.zcm82.net
Jeff P

In dash DVD

Post by Jeff P »

(zach82 @ Apr. 23 2006,03:07)Q
U
O
T
ESomeone at one of the BFests I went to (2001 and 2002) had a DVD player where the screens were in the sun visors; it was one of the coolest things I had ever seen.  I think it might have been Angel, but I could be mistaken.
Probably Dennis (ramairgtz).  He has had LCDs in his visors for quite a while.  His CarDomain page.  Steve Z (steve "Z") has at least one LCD...not sure if he has any in his visors.  Mine is glassed in where the head unit goes, but I wouldn't mind having one on the passenger visor.  I'd say get at least a 7" but preferably 8" if you get one.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
HateMyAuto

In dash DVD

Post by HateMyAuto »

Now when you say glassed in, do you mean that you just have a monitor there, and the dvd player is somewhere else? What components specifically did you use? Pics?

'94 Camaro
Jeff P

In dash DVD

Post by Jeff P »

It's a 6.5" widescreen Pioneer LCD fiberglassed into the radio surround.  I bought it from a guy on the board a while back and haven't done any more than test it in my car.  I'll actually begin using it after I fiberglass the dash and center console to a better angle, and when I decide which computer I want in the car to control it.  If you want a pic I'll e-mail it (PM me with your address)...don't have any webspace at the moment.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
HateMyAuto

In dash DVD

Post by HateMyAuto »

What about the parking brake wire connect? Not that I would ever do anything illegal like hooking up a DVD player without that very important safety device, but where would you hook that wire up to if you didn't want to be tethered to the parking brake? The head unit's remote turn on?

'94 Camaro
wicked-irocz

In dash DVD

Post by wicked-irocz »

it just needs to be grounded I believe

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
1988GTU

In dash DVD

Post by 1988GTU »

Yes ^  ...  Find a healthy spot to ground it.

_________
-------------
iLLa Beretta

In dash DVD

Post by iLLa Beretta »

im not sure if you went through and did your thing yet. but i was thinking similar to what has been done on here.

head units, the cheap route i am liking the jvc kd-dv4200 for $180. mid range im thinking jvc kd-adv6270 for anywhere from $275. then you have the alpines which are DVA-9860  & DVA-9861 for $375-475 (pretty pricey if you ask me. Im personally leaning towards the kd-adv6270.

I had same idea for the hidden monitor in the cup holder, and same idea for the sunvisors.

I had this other idea which is really really off the wall of monting a 15" lcd monitor to the cieling and making it retract and flip down, so that if i wanted to i could stretch it out and bring it all the way in front of the rear view mirror. it would be steady fastened and mounte more for the back seats, but atleast i could have the option of pulling it forward. you need to buy some device that i believe is called a vga box, it converts rca to vga ($60). im doubt i will ever do this idea though. although it has kinda of crossed my mind, by doing some sort of dash mod and putting it up front. I want everything hidden, and that sucker is really big to hide, best bet would be on roof and hope no one ever see it from the outside. when its not being used.

Car stereo stuff has come down so much in price, that i am starting to think about pimping the ride.

iLLa

-95 Z26 Stock, K&N cone, Flow Master cat back exhaust, FFP UD pulley
-95 BANSHEE, T-5 Toomes Exhaust, Duncan Power Head, Powdercoated frame, Skid Plate, Utility Rack. (For Sale 3k OBO)
-99 YZF-R1, D&D SLIP ON EXHAUST
-90 Corsica LT (R.I.P)
-94 Z26 (R.I.P.)(Way better than my 95)
BerettaLove32

In dash DVD

Post by BerettaLove32 »

I saw a beretta on cardomain where the guy relocated the heater controls to the CD area and put an in dash flip up monitor in the heater control area. That way when the monitor was up it sat straight up and everything was flush. It looked very clean.

Jeff P

In dash DVD

Post by Jeff P »

(HateMyAuto @ Apr. 23 2006,07:00)Q
U
O
T
ENow when you say glassed in, do you mean that you just have a monitor there, and the dvd player is somewhere else? What components specifically did you use? Pics?
Hey Matt, I know I never sent you the installed pics....and as I said the LCD isn't in permanently yet (you probably forgot about this by now heheh).  I am finally able to get to the old pics, so here are 3:

It actually looks a lot nicer in person, and the screen doesn't appear green (think that's the anti-glare coating).  I think I've finally decided that I'll put the head unit above it in the vent area until I install the computer and glass a new interior.  Nothing impressive, but I owed you the pics.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned: