Gtu spoiler

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
Bman Gtz

Gtu spoiler

Post by Bman Gtz »

I wil be getting a spoilerless trunk lid and have a gtu spoiler I want to install on it, I know I will have to drill holes for the tabs but I want to know if they make rubber seals or if some other compound can be used around those tabs in order to seal from any water getting it, not sure what they have done with stock trunk lids but any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

BMAN

BMAN

Kyle Anderson

Gtu spoiler

Post by Kyle Anderson »

I used a shitload of black rtv when I reinstalled my spoiler... hasn't leaked yet.

Cliff8928
Administrator

Gtu spoiler

Post by Cliff8928 »

RTV is usually acidic and isn't the best thing to use on steel.  You could use some seam sealer, or just some automotive grade foam trim tape over the holes when you bolt it on (that's how my Alero is).

Cliff Scott
GTZryda

Gtu spoiler

Post by GTZryda »

When my friend and I put a gtu spoiler on his then 88gt we use silicone sealer on the holes and haven't leaked at all. Now are other friend owns it and still no leaks after a year and a half FTW!

90 GTZ W41
96 Z26
96 Twin cam
bagged_and_loud

Re: Gtu spoiler

Post by bagged_and_loud »

Old thread I know, but you have to start with a base lid? The z spoilers have different mounting holes?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yes, the Z spoilers are completely different mounting wise... And why not just use rubber washers? All this silicone and foam talk.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
bagged_and_loud

Post by bagged_and_loud »

Thank you.

themixer

Post by themixer »

i used rubber washers on my GT install it worked excellent!

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

3X00-Modified wrote:Yes, the Z spoilers are completely different mounting wise... And why not just use rubber washers? All this silicone and foam talk.
Rubber washers eventually dry-out. Silicon cracks and shrinks over time. Underneath the spoiler, who can see these sealers degrade, ready to cause a problem? I like the idea of Butyl Tape. That stuff stays tacky longer than the Bee Gees in white disco suits with gold sequins. :P I've got a Fiero GT wing on my Teal Indy, and unless I change things around on it, that is the direction I will be going. So far as needing a base-model deck-lid, would the mounting holes from a GT/GTZ/Indy/Z-26 spoiler be exposed if replaced with the smaller-footprint GTU wedge? If they are not exposed, then one could just re-drill for the GTU spoiler holes and patch the Z-etc holes with Butyl-Tape (or whatever...) and aluminum foil... Maybe not the best, but it should work just fine.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26