Tb cleaning

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Tb cleaning

Post by Guest »

Took the TB off the car today and gave it a MUCH needed cleaning.  Here's what 14 years and 250,000 kms worth of crap looks like:

(the marks are where I rubbed my finger)

The IAC was so plugged up it was revolting.

I haven't taken it for a real drive yet, but the difference in idle, and just driving the 2 blocks from the alley to the front of the house afterwards was amazing!

From looking into the plenum once the TB was off, it is seriously coated as well.  Once the snow melts away, I'll be taking the plenum off and cleaning it out as well.

Now for the question: When I next take the TB off to clean the plenum, I'm thinking of slapping on a bigger one. Which was the direct bolt on? 56mm? Also what engines had the bigger one on it? How much of an increase should I experience? I will also be putting on a cone filter.

Thanks.

Tb cleaning

Post by Guest »

What did you use to clean the TB? Was it easy? I'm sure mine looks similar.I know McGavinz still might have his 56mm TB's for sale,but I think thats for the 3100 V6.I think with any new TB you might add,you'll need to port the plenum.The biggest TB I know of is 62mm,I dunno if they have it for your engine.With a new TB,and a cone filter,you might see an increase of about 5hp or more.

Tb cleaning

Post by Guest »

Quote (94MMBereTTa @ April 06 2002,7:25)What did you use to clean the TB? Was it easy? I'm sure mine looks similar.I know McGavinz still might have his 56mm TB's for sale,but I think thats for the 3100 V6.I think with any new TB you might add,you'll need to port the plenum.The biggest TB I know of is 62mm,I dunno if they have it for your engine.With a new TB,and a cone filter,you might see an increase of about 5hp or more.
Used Gunk brand Carb cleaner.  It really was not difficualt at all.  Taking the TB off the car is pretty simple and straightforward. The only tough part is getting the coolant lines off the bottom of it. Seems like the first time I ever undo a clamp on any car, it is tightened down with the screw pointing in whichever direction it's the most difficult to get at.

Chris88CL

Tb cleaning

Post by Chris88CL »

Yeah isnt that the truth.
You can get a 56mm throttle body for your car or a 62mm throttle body.  Both will fit without any other mods.  But you'd be ALOT better off ATLEAST gasket matching the intake plenum to the throttle body.  We should meet up sometime Craig.  We are in the same city afterall.  Mike and I get together a couple times a week it seems like.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

oldadmin

Tb cleaning

Post by oldadmin »

Quote (Craig @ April 06 2002,9:25)Seems like the first time I ever undo a clamp on any car, it is tightened down with the screw pointing in whichever direction it's the most difficult to get at.
I've always wondered why this is. I mean they have to tighten them down so they have to had tightened them where they were. It's confusing to me.

Tb cleaning

Post by Guest »

Quote (Chris88CL @ April 06 2002,10:12)Yeah isnt that the truth.
You can get a 56mm throttle body for your car or a 62mm throttle body.  Both will fit without any other mods.  But you'd be ALOT better off ATLEAST gasket matching the intake plenum to the throttle body.  We should meet up sometime Craig.  We are in the same city afterall.  Mike and I get together a couple times a week it seems like.
Sounds good to me.   Send me an e-mail next time you guys are getting together.  I'm down South (Queensland) you?

4DoorGTZ

Tb cleaning

Post by 4DoorGTZ »

Me and Chris are both in the south as well. I'm in Shawnessy he's in Cedarbrae.

If you wanna talk about getting together lets start a thread in the Canada West section and keep this about TB's

06 Trailblazer SS Bored & Stroked 408ci, ZR1 Cam, Trick Flow heads, TVS1900, Built Trans w/stall 600AWHP
09 Solstice GXP Targa Coupe 1 of 1266
93 Med. Garnet Red Q4 GTZ 1 of 621
Bfest '01, '02, '04, '05