maf sensor question, doing an intake

Post information about intake systems. Either purchased or custom made
nicky gio88gt

Post by nicky gio88gt »

This is probabaly a stupid question but I'm lookin to do an intake on my 88 GT, and I looked all over and I couldnt figure out where the maf sensor goes when you put the new intake on.  Any help is definetly appreciated.

Thanks,

89' Buick Riviera
88' Beretta Gt (project car)
Scanman88GT

Post by Scanman88GT »

Sounds like you're wanting to do the same thing that I'm planning for my 88GT. I have the MAF sensor too, and from what I've read, you have to have the Speed Density memcal so that the engine runs off of the MAP sensor by itself instead of both the MAF and the MAP sensors. Then you can ditch the MAF sensor.

Next would be to either fabricate  or buy an intake/filter kit. You would wire up an air intake temp sensor in place of your current MAF sensor using the harness plug that used to plug into the MAF sensor, and mount it somewhere in the airstream coming into your intake. There a how to about this either here in the FAQ section, or I know that B-Stuff has one pinned  on their site.

nicky gio88gt

Post by nicky gio88gt »

Thanks alot for the info, I knew there was a special way to get those things on there.
will any kind of air temp sensor work?  And does the mapp sensor need to be modified?

89' Buick Riviera
88' Beretta Gt (project car)
Scanman88GT

Post by Scanman88GT »

MAP should be fine, as is.
Check out the pinned article  on Bstuff.com if you can't find it here. The article tells you what year/engine air temp sensor will work. You only have to connect two wires. The other wires that used to go to your MAF sensor just get folded back into the wire loom and taped off. I was thinking I might try to find a mate to the harness connector that goes to the MAF and make up a little pigtail assembly of this connector and the air temp sensor that would plug right into the existing harness without having to chop it up. I'm sure an auto parts store would probably sell some kind of universal weather-seal kind of connector that would work.