New idea

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum
gar187er

New idea

Post by gar187er »

5x5 inches is alot in our engine bays granted the quads have more room then us 60*'ers.....but still the flange is 5x5, add another 5 inched for how long it is so its 10" long, by 5" wide, and prob a good 7" deep....

btw~what kind of voltage do these run off of? i see the thermo at the bottom and it says 115v.....hehehe that would have to be one long a$$ extension cord if i ever took my car to the drag strip    j/k

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!

New idea

Post by Guest »

10"x5"x7"...  Sounds like a pertect reason to put the battery in the trunk.     This was a random find that i figured might work.  I spent about 20 seconds on google to find it, with more searching, i could find something better.  Or, you could always get a power converter.

New idea

Post by Guest »

http://www.overclockers.com/tips461/index02.asp

Turns out there is a computer fan that will work...  You will want two of them to go into 1 tube, and then into the intake with just under 340cfm, and both of which are 12 volts.  

Why not, they make twin turbos

rweatherford

New idea

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (gtzpower @ April 08 2002,9:28)10"x5"x7"...  Sounds like a pertect reason to put the battery in the trunk.   This was a random find that i figured might work.  I spent about 20 seconds on google to find it, with more searching, i could find something better.  Or, you could always get a power converter.
No offense guys, but I think you are wasting your brain power.  

The Quad4 will actually flow above 100% VE in several RPM ranges.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Canada

New idea

Post by Canada »

Yes your air filter is big. It does this so you have more filter material and you have less cfm's per sq. in. (if thats a term)

To get a squirrel cage fan like you are talking about simply won't work. When a fan that has that kind of area gets blown down a narrow tube, the tube resritces the flow.

Trust me on this, I know what I am talking about, it will not work. Those fans are designed for a completely different purpose. The only real way to make power with forced induction, is to get a turbo/supercharger.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

New idea

Post by Guest »

I don't doubt your knowledge, but you said eariler that it COULD work, and now you state that it WILL NOT WORK?!?

that i do doubt

Canada

New idea

Post by Canada »

Yes, I said it could work, if you had the right stuff. But mounting a squirrel cage fan on the end of your intake isn't going to anything.

Go ahead try it, but don't be dissapointed when it won't work.

Study some physics, maybe that would help you understand.

This brings back memories of back pressure.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

New idea

Post by Guest »

ok, i agree that it may not do much in comparison to forced induction, however, i want to have you explain something to me. ÂÂÂ

If you have, in theory, a blower that runs off of 12 volts and flows 300cfm (i'm sure there is one out there).  Why would this not work in a similar way to ram air on a 3100 which flows 289cfm at 100% efficency?

This is not an argument, but given the circumstances provided, if you still do not think it would work, i just want to know why.  Maybe you know something that i am missing.

Canada

New idea

Post by Canada »

Ok, if you have a 12 volt fan blowing 300 cfm. This is at the 5" x 5" opening. As the air moves down into the engine, the pipe is smaller. This smaller pipe makes a resistriction. This restriction puts a hurt on your cfm's of the fan. I don't know how else to explain it. Maybe someone else can.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

New idea

Post by Guest »

understandable, but the 5x5 opening is on an example i found, and i do understand why that restricts the cfm.  

I am referring to a therotical blower, 300cfm, 12volts, and a 52mm diameter opening for arguments sake.  Would that benefit in your opinion?

3100SFI

New idea

Post by 3100SFI »

I have a 12 volt fan that blows 700 cfm.

Kyle
2003 VW New Beetle
Canada

New idea

Post by Canada »

I don't know if 11 cfm would make a difference or not. I son't know how to figure boost by an increase of cfm. I'd imagine you'd use the intake i.d. somehow.

Also look at the electricity used. Yeah its 12 v, but how many watts is it drawing? IF it pulled 745.7 watts, for easy figureing, it would be pulling a horse of energy away. A horse of energy your alternator has to produce. Efficencey on a alternator is not 100% by anymeans, maybe more like 30% (i think). So, the engine would have a 3 hp strain on it. It would come down to the matter of how much horse it would make.

My guess is you would lose power, a hp or two.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

New idea

Post by Guest »

ok, makes sense.  So what kind of configuration would it take to make this work?

New idea

Post by Guest »

Question guys your smart. What equation would i use to figure out what kind of compression i would  have if i was pushing 10Psi of boost and the compression ratio was 8.5:1?
I may not have worded it right but ....  I hope you know what i mean? Or is that to complicated to figure out???
90GTZ2.3black

New idea

Post by Guest »

Canada:  What do you think of this product?  700watt, 50amp, 750cfm
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

gtzberetta:  Your compression ratio will be 8.5 to 1.  I think you mean cylinder pressure, which I can only guess.  I don't know how much of that will actually reach the cylinders

14.7psi is sealevel pressure.  I think the quad had approximately 180psi compression at sea level with 10:1 compression pistons  

that figures to 18lbs per compression unit at 14.7psi atmospheric pressure.

18/14.7=(1.2245lbs per compression unit) per pound of atmospheric pressure.

I assume that with ten pounds of boost that atmospheric pressure would be 24.7psi? (not sure how that equates)

24.7*1.2245=30.24512lbs per compression unit
30.24512*8.5=257.084psi

so, if i did that right, and if your engine has 180psi compression at sea level, then you should have around 257psi with 10 lbs of boost.

Second opinion canada?