92 quazar progress

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
blindmandesigns

92 quazar progress

Post by blindmandesigns »

Well, here are some pictures of the first day of cleaning/inspecting the car for problems, fixes, etc...

What I have found wrong so far is the heater core needs to be replaced... Barely any coolant in whatsoever but I didn't run it more than a minute.  I filled it with water and even though it was coming out of the intake line into the heatercore in the engine bay, the thermostat released where it should and fell back down like it should, Oil level is good but the low oil level light has come on.  THE A/C WORKS on my 300 dollar car but the idle got really lopey and produced a code 24 after a minute of it blowing icy cold air WOOT!  No other codes came up once I had coolant in and got it to operating temperature.  it revs nice and smooth at all RPM's and has no misses at idle. the accesories make a little bit of noise but that was expected seeing that it has sat for a while.  Next time I work on it replacing the heater core and taking care of code 24 is on the list.

Enough on with the pictures!

Bye bye 88GT 5 speed... One more donor car off the market for 3400 swap...

First I had to go to war with the wasp that invaded the trunk, the gas cap door, and the front mirrors.  I was victorious with my can of carb cleaner!

Running nice and smooth with good oil pressure... Low oil level sensor is bad thus producing the light.

Nobody is going to steal the 1/8th tank of gas this beast has!

No more limp Door panel!

No access to water at the shop while outside so I just did the windows and interior peices

blindmandesigns

92 quazar progress

Both GTZ's

As she sits...

98beretta kid

92 quazar progress

Post by 98beretta kid »

Well it certainly looks better than in the first pictures. Both of your GTZs have sunroofs, wish mine had one. Anyways, car is looking good.

-Bryan

1989 Beretta GT (Money pit #1)
1996 GMC Sonoma (Money pit #2)
1993 GTZ ( Couldn't ask for a better Car)

The 3 reasons why I'm broke
blindmandesigns

92 quazar progress

Well... Today I got the heater core ALMOST out (working outside dad already left the shop when I got there) I didn't have a way to jack the car up so 2 hoses are just holding it in... I took the IDI cover off and low and behold SHINEY new exhaust cam tower and SHINEY new head... Rebuilt motor almost confirmed... I have to borrow a compression tester to see how fresh it really is.

I also looked at the trans a bit and low and behold one of the very rare EXTERNAL slave cylinder 3.94 FDR trannies (this keeps getting better and better)

Injectors have been replaced and look brand new. The car hasn't ran in a VERY long time... there was a spider coocoon on one of the plug boots haha. I think it's a really good sign that it runs better then mine and looks like it has been sitting for over a year or two even... even more going for a fresh rebuilt engine.  

I brought home the IDI cover to strip it down and give it the same treatment my current one has had put into it... Also brought home the center console to clean since I had it out to get to the heater core better.

blindmandesigns

92 quazar progress

Well did some more work with the GTZ today...

I crossed my fingers and did a compression test... This was on a cold motor that I didn't run a little before the check like you are supposed to... BUT I got 175, 180, 180, 190... my question is with a warm engine... like you are supposed to have when checking compression (not hot just warm) would the numbers probably be better???

Onto something else.

The cowl was removed from the bottom of the windshield to help find the leak. I removed the seats, kick panels, and finally started to peel back the carpet from the front back...

My GOD... the smell the, texture, the feeling it gave you when you saw what was underneath the carpet... There was water down there, and like this huge glob of "snot" that was orange/brown... Horrible...

BUT I did find where the leak comes in and whoever had it before has taken care of the leak on one side but I am having water running down the inside of the heater core cover (not coming in through the lines but more along the plastic itself. The heater core cover is still off because I haven't had a chance to get the car in the garage to jack it up to undo the hose clamps.

blindmandesigns

92 quazar progress

blindmandesigns

92 quazar progress

rweatherford

92 quazar progress

Post by rweatherford »

Going at it!

AFAIK the 92's had the external slave.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

blindmandesigns

92 quazar progress

haha yep I am really laying into it.  

I got the dash out, which was quite tedious work but necessary to find ALL sources of the water leak. So far I have found the passenger side wiring harness to be one spot and also the vent that leads through the firewall on the passenger side also.  The seal wasn't too hot and water would trickle right down in. I think another leak could possibly be coming from the master cylinder too... and I know the driver side wiring harness is another source... whatta pain.

All my efforts will be well worth it once I have it back together

Baims_91Base

92 quazar progress

Post by Baims_91Base »

Damn, you've really had some free time...looking good so far. I like the pictures of the progress. Keep them coming.

Dustin - Webmaster, BerettaSpeed.com
1991 "Base" -> BFest '03, '04, '11 - '12 Best Modified Engine Bay
1994 Base -> 65k, DGGM, INDY GFX
1988 GTU -> 300k - RIP, parts/donor car, BFest '05
blindmandesigns

92 quazar progress

Well I have found all the leaks (I hope).  

they are located on the passenger and driver side where the wiring harness came in through the wall... the bottom of the steering column... the air inlet duct under the cowl towards the passgenger side... the master cylinder/clutch pedal assembly, I sealed upthe lines that follow the fender shape too just as a precaution... I also finished up with sealing the seem inside where the wiper arms are located an

Now I must go test it out to make sure it has sealed it up...

blindmandesigns

92 quazar progress

Before... the day I went a looked at it, It had about 3 inches of water sitting in it...

During...

A few minutes ago (after)

Mike Morris

92 quazar progress

Post by Mike Morris »

Wow.  I am jealous!  What a find!  I would kill for a blue GTZ.
Good luck with it!  If you need help with it drop me a line.  I keep a couple of my cars in a garage about 45 minutes north of Reading.
Best of luck with it!

www.mk3.us/mike
2006 Z06 Corvette
1992 Mustang 5.0 blown stroked and intercooled
1988 Supra Turbo 512 RWHP
1988 MR2 SC-restored
1983 Corolla SR5 hatchback restored

1990 MINT GTZ now upgraded to W41 specs.  Garaged all its life....
blindmandesigns

92 quazar progress

hmmmm... where at exactly north of reading? ÂÂÂ

The quazar is pretty much ready to go on the road, just saving up some extra cash for some new tires. and the 91 going to go into surgery before my head warranty runs out.  I picked up an 086 head from the yard today at A to Z u Pull it in the leesport area that is going to be worked and replacing the defective one I got from J/C head exchange. ÂÂÂ

wow from your signature looks like you have some very fun toys ÂÂÂ

EDIT: here are a few pics of both of them.  The camera was about to croke on me so the quality of the pictures is far from what it should be... still a nice site though