Metal center grille in 88 dash

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
Scanman88GT

Post by Scanman88GT »

I've got an 88GT with the warped dash, which I am going to attempt to fix. My main question is about the metal center grille. Mine has never been attached to the dash since I got the car. It just sits in the center. However with the dash pad warping and sticking up, this grille is just kind of flopping around, and rattling.

Can anyone tell me for certain how this is supposed to attach to the dash? It looks like it has some bent over tabs at each end with a hole for a screw to go thru. What size screw? Was a washer used underneath them? Is the grille supposed to match the contour of the depressed area of the dash pad and cover it up enough to keep it held down, or is it just supposed to sit in front of it?

I've never seen a good picture of one close up, and I've been unsuccessful so far in finding out how this piece was originally supposed to be mounted. Can anyone help me out with some information and possibly a decent close-up picture of what it's supposed to look like installed? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Scanman88GT

Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

Man, it's been so long I don't even remember....I know the defroster grille doesn't use screws, and it either catches on some tabs on the dashboard, or it grips the vinyl...In the new interior it clips onto the tabs on the dashboard.  When it is installed, the dashboard is contoured around it, making it appear flush (for the most part ).

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi