Good set of All Season Tires

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Good set of All Season Tires

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Looking to replace the Continental Extreme Contact's on my Legacy and this time I'm going with 225/45/17 instead if 215/45/17... A bit wider and tiny bit taller... Any suggestions on brand?

The only thing I did not like about the Continentals was the edge of the tread was very rounded and make the tire appear even narrower than it is.

I'd like to keep the price under $500 since I will also be replacing the TPMS sensors.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Re: Good set of All Season Tires

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I like my Sumitomo and the Falken tires. Good mid range tires, not too hard or too soft. Seems like they change the names every few years, but I could check if needed.
I have to have all season here and always look for ones that can keep the outside tread somewhat clear. Straight groves for the outside, no crazy gimick tread.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Falken ZE950 A/S were recommend to me on the legacy forum. Similar aggressive looking tread to my Continentals but shorter mileage warranty ... But only $88 each.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

All I can say is they do well in light snow. Damn Cavy is too low for the deep stuff!

keep'em flying!
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Money pit Beretta wrote:All I can say is they do well in light snow. Damn Cavy is too low for the deep stuff!
Before I moved to the more temperate climate I am in now, my '97 Cavy (Z-24 even) was my best snow car... For the record, I know a lot of people deal with worse winters than I had, but 27 degrees below zero (see my avatar :P ) is no joke, and we would get nine months of winter every year, a rare light snow in June, and an occasional heavy snow as late as April or early May -by heavy I mean 2-3 feet within about 24 hours. With the studded snows on him, my Z-24 NEVER has gotten stuck, despite chugging through snow-drifts deeper than the hood.

I finally replaced the Hancook Opti-Euro something-or-others on my turbo 'Retta with a set a Yokohamas this week, and they seem to be pretty good but I haven't had a chance to run them through the paces yet. Still no traction even through third gear... :twisted: I have noticed that most of the newer tires start to show weathering cracks very early on. But Hancook has been a good tire for me overall. I've also had good performance from the Kumho Ecstas that came with my GTU, before the wheels were stolen. :cry: But, they didn't do so good in the snow...

We've also had some really good results with a pair of Fuzion tires we had put on one of the Toyotas in an emergency -long lasting, great handling in all seasons (including snow and ice), and quiet on the highways. The other Toyota we still have is running on Falkens (I don't recall the model though), and they work quite well for us.

We tend to run our cars on the sporty side, lots of runs through the twisties, so performance is as important to us as longevity. I guess I could more easily point to tires that don't work well...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Money pit Beretta

My Cavy is a bit lower than a Z-24. The GF has a 97 Z-24 and I can still get a small floor jack under that. Mine needs ramps just to use that small floor jack.

keep'em flying!
quad4berettagtz
Administrator

Post by quad4berettagtz »

Jon, I got a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport all seasons on my GTZ a few months ago and so far am incredibly happy. Haven't (and won't) put them through snow, but just like any all season I'm sure they are middle of the road in snow. The wet and dry traction are very very impressive for a tire that only cost me $90 a tire. I actually put the GTZ in a wet maneuver I would never have attempted save for my Eagle F1's when they were new, and it was amazingly stable and grippy in the wet at 60mph... The massive beaver that is still alive because of these tires will agree with me :P

Mike - Beretta.net Committee Chairman Emeritus
'90 Med Garnet GTZ<-awaiting heart transplant 295k
'90 Black GTZ SCCA Solo II #24 STS
'92 Quasar Blue GTZ <- rusted into a holding pattern
NastyEllEssWon

Post by NastyEllEssWon »

quad4berettagtz wrote:Jon, I got a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport all seasons on my GTZ a few months ago and so far am incredibly happy. Haven't (and won't) put them through snow, but just like any all season I'm sure they are middle of the road in snow. The wet and dry traction are very very impressive for a tire that only cost me $90 a tire. I actually put the GTZ in a wet maneuver I would never have attempted save for my Eagle F1's when they were new, and it was amazingly stable and grippy in the wet at 60mph... The massive beaver that is still alive because of these tires will agree with me :P

this...Goodyear Eagle Sport All Seasons or the Eagle LS-2 are right up your alley. Im not sure if they make the Eagle HR2 in that size, but I remember having a set of them at one point too and liking them.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I ended up with the Falkens and just got them mounted up yesterday. So far they ride nice, I'll have to see how they do in various weather. They look good as far as width increase over the 215 and they have a good tread edge so they don't look like a bald edged tire like I had before.

My topic on the legacy forum I guess rubbed some people the wrong way because now there is a huge all season, aka "no-season" tires argument. They were arguing that if I get snow I should have a dedicated set of snow tires and ones specific to summer and wet traction only. Some of those guys over there go a bit overboard if you ask me.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

That's an understatement... too much of Nabisco rubbing off on that forum in my opinion.

I liked the Goodyear Eagle GT's, but I didn't bring them up since we had already talked about them. They were awesome minus the whole wearing out too quickly for my taste.

For the record, the Continental DWS's I had on the Legacy worked wonders with the snow storm we got down here last year (10" - for those of you not in Charlotte, it shut the city down for like 3 days... they don't have proper snow removal equipment here)

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Money pit Beretta

LOL I could agree with them if we are talking about the best thing to do. Those of us that can't afford an STI have to pick one tire and live with it.
People with money........
Them: "If you are doing so much work to that car why not buy another?"
Me: "I don't have the money for another car!"
Them: "I don't understand."
Me: " I can't pay 6k for used in the first place and then start repairing all over again on top of that!"
Them: "I don't get it."

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Oh the DWS's were lovely in the snow the years I had them... Even last year with the S worn off and the W mostly gone I did ok... I just didnt want to drop $130 a tire again because at just 4yrs old they were dry rotted badly.

And if I lived in an area that snowed more than maybe 10-15 times a year where it's enough to justify snow tires then MAYBE I would have a set specific for the season, but for the 85% of the winter where the roads are just wet and dirty they are a complete waste. I also didn't need a second set of rims in my purchase plan now or in the future for that car because dismounting/mounting every season change is a pain in the arse, and wasteful on the snow tires themselves.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

I hear you, sometimes it doesn't even snow here. There is a law here that says that you must have snow tires or chains. They don't enforce it though unless you damage something more than your own car.

Hell I don't know who sells chains(non China ones) or if there is even a snow tire that will fit my cars. Then there is the over all price that you spoke of.

Got pulled over for running a red light one time in the snow. Cop said: "I pulled you over for running that light and I see you don't have snow tires"
Me:" they are all season and there was too much snow to stop." He just said "oh" and let me go.

keep'em flying!
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I have a second set of wheels for snow-tires, a set for the Camaros, a set for the Cavvy (15" Beretta GT Cross-laces) or the Berettas, we also have another full set for one of the Toyotas. No, swapping a set of wheels over is not super quick and can get old, but it doesn't cost anything like mounting and re-balancing does, and it doesn't risk tearing-up the bead of the tire either. Junk-yard wheels can be bought for pretty cheap, and a set of snows used properly (seasonally) can last for several years. In the long run, it isn't a big expense, but if you don't drive often in snow and ice, it may still not be worth it. For where I used to live, compromise is just a bad idea considering how constant bad roads were for us.

Glad you got the tires you wanted, hopefully they work the way you want them to.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

My car requires a minimum of a 17" rim... A bit different cost wise than a 15

Cheapest 215/45/17 snow tire on tire rack is also $115 each... Cheapest at WalMart is $124.... I don't have a common tire size for winter tires so they aren't cheap for me. Trust me I've researched this a bit and unless I go completely off brand, which I haven't even seen options, It would have cost me an arm and a leg for snow specific tires and then I would have to buy a set of summer tires come spring... there goes another $500...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"