88 Beretta with some problems

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Lucas

88 Beretta with some problems

Post by Lucas »

At first, I want to say hello to everyone, I'm new here and I already have some questions :D

I've decided to buy a daily driver, which is relatively cheap and american.

And then I found 88 Beretta GT with 2.8 MFI V6. Berettas are extremely unusual in my country (Poland), there are probably 2 or 3 in the entire country, so I'm very lucky, that I found one for sale.

The car has only 65 thousand miles, it's well kept and it is registered as historical vehicle, but has not been used from four years and it has some problems which need to be fixed.

The first and the most important one is low idle problem. The previous owner has tried to fix that issue, he changed the fuel pump and stepper motor (idle control valve) and it helped a little, now when engine is cold it works fine, but when it warms up, idles are very low and sometimes car dies. Car also starts pretty hard, sometimes needs two takes to start up. The smell of gasoline is also noticeable inside of the car. (The previous owner said that low idle may be fixed by replacing an EGR valve, but he's not sure about that.)

Second problem is Check engine light, which sometimes light up. Computer shows fault code number 54.

The other problems, are not very hard to fix. Car needs a shock replacement and some work with brakes, and some detailing job.

Guys, any idea how to fix the most important problems? Should I buy this car despite of these problems?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: 88 Beretta with some problems

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Well code 54 is for digital EGR or Fuel pump circuit low voltage... Since you have an 88 You don't have a digital EGR so I'd investigate the wiring to the fuel pump and try to see where there is a voltage drop which would cause this code.

The fuel smell and hard starting can be due to low fuel pressure, There should be a schrader valve on the rail that you can hook up or have someone check the fuel pressure for you with a gauge... If it's low at idle like below 20 then you have a regulator issue... also turning on the key to the on position only should prime the system and it should hold pressure, if it drops back down to zero immediately then the regulator once again can be the issue.

The low fuel pressure could also be caused by your low fuel pump voltage.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I would say it would be better to use it as a fun or project car. Parts are getting hard to find and using it for DD is not the best idea. It has to be very, very hard to get parts in Poland.

keep'em flying!
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

Exactly. It's extremely hard to find any part to this car, and everything has to be shipped from US. So it's quite expensive and time consuming to repair this car in Poland. This is why I also consider buying Chrysler Le Baron. Those cars were produced in Europe in Stayr Austria, and it's a way easier to find any parts to this car.
But this Beretta is very cheap and I believe it's a good deal to buy this car.

Money pit Beretta

Oh yeah, I had forgot that the 90's Le Baron's were made in Austria. They were one of Chrysler's best at the time.
Welcome to the good times and the personal hell of Beretta ownership. It's not an easy life. You can say with pride that you own a car that most don't know about.

keep'em flying!
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

Actually Le Baron has been sold before I even call the owner..

So now I'm back to Beretta :) I'm still considering should I buy this car or not. What's even worse my friend found nice Celebrity for sale, and I'm even more confused about what should I do right now :D Should I stick to the Beretta or maybe check out Celebrity at first...

Money pit Beretta

Man that is up to you. More or less they are the same, less the fact that the Beretta looks much better.

keep'em flying!
zro406

Post by zro406 »

Lucas wrote:At first, I want to say hello to everyone, I'm new here and I already have some questions :D

I've decided to buy a daily driver, which is relatively cheap and american.

And then I found 88 Beretta GT with 2.8 MFI V6. Berettas are extremely unusual in my country (Poland), there are probably 2 or 3 in the entire country, so I'm very lucky, that I found one for sale.

The car has only 65 thousand miles, it's well kept and it is registered as historical vehicle, but has not been used from four years and it has some problems which need to be fixed.

The first and the most important one is low idle problem. The previous owner has tried to fix that issue, he changed the fuel pump and stepper motor (idle control valve) and it helped a little, now when engine is cold it works fine, but when it warms up, idles are very low and sometimes car dies. Car also starts pretty hard, sometimes needs two takes to start up. The smell of gasoline is also noticeable inside of the car. (The previous owner said that low idle may be fixed by replacing an EGR valve, but he's not sure about that.)

Second problem is Check engine light, which sometimes light up. Computer shows fault code number 54.

The other problems, are not very hard to fix. Car needs a shock replacement and some work with brakes, and some detailing job.

Guys, any idea how to fix the most important problems? Should I buy this car despite of these problems?
Hello. First let me tell you I’m a Mechanic of 30 yrs. owned and loved berettas and know 2.8 snd 3.1s inside and out. Not bragging I promise just knowledgeable. My 1990 had a digital EGR valve yours very well may have also but I believe mine was about first year for it. But problem 90% of the time was not the valve but the passage in the intake gets carboned up thus the ecm doesn’t see change in manifold pressure and sets code. Google cleaning EGR passage. They all do it. Like others have said most likely fuel pump causing running problems. Another very common problem. Mine did same thing. Be sure and check the vacuum hoses on throttle body on top and make sure they are all in good. All easy fixes. Except fuel pump but they aren’t bad. I love these cars for there easy to diagnose “usually “. Best of luck to you. Btw I do have two ASE masters that people love to see even though us mechanics could care less. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

This guy hasn't been on here for four years, doubtful he bought that Beretta, or we likely would have seen some sign of him.

Welcome to the site though, more traffic here would be good!

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26