No Go Juice

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
lmnjlo

No Go Juice

Post by lmnjlo »

1996 Z26. Past few weeks Ive had to press the gas pedal to start the car. Once started I was able to smell gas. Once started, car run great. No issues. Well...this morning I started the car as usual (press the gas pedal to start) and started driving to work. After I stopped at the first stop sign and pressed the gas pedal to go....putt putt putt. It would only increase speed at an idle increase. I floored it....nothing. I feathered the gas pedal and slowly increased speed. Once I hit 60 mph I floored it. Nothing. So...I drove back home and got in my truck.

In any case. Thoughts? Clearly I am getting gas. Im thinking injectors. Could it be my Fuel Pressure Regulator? I have 3400 injectors that I am going to swap into it this weekend and see what happens. This similar situation happed in my old 2.8 in the '89 before I swapped to a 3400. Once I changed the injectors it was fine. Anything I havent thought of would be helpful.

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Re: No Go Juice

Post by heavywoody »

Pull the vacuum off the regulator and see if gas comes out.

It shouldn't.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Not sure why you have to hit the gas to start. Anyway it sounds like you are losing pressure in the tank. Leaking cap, fuel filler tube(or where it connects to the tank), vent tube next to the filler or a bad gasket around the tank at the pump.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

There is no pressure in the tank, or at least there shouldn't be, the Evap system evacuates fuel tank pressure... and that's not how fuel pressure is created. All the leaks you described would throw emissions flow codes, not cause hard start conditions.

Easiest way to understand this... When you turn the key on the fuel pump primes, you can hear it most of the time, it then shuts off rather quickly... I believe it's a 2-3 second prime. Typically when your cranking the engine over the fuel pump is not running yet because of lack of oil pressure. The prime builds fuel pressure in the rails and then when you crank the injector has pressure behind it to spray the fuel into the cylinders to fire off, Engine builds oil pressure and the safety switch is closed on the fuel system enabling the fuel pump.

Now take away that pressure behind the injector say for the fact that the regulator is not holding pressure or leaking by, or the pump is weakening... The injector fires and instead of spraying fuel it just drips out, so he needs to open the throttle blade to allow more air in so it will pull in those drips of fuel.

I was recently fighting with delayed cranking to start on my car and it was just the fuel pressure regulator... It would bleed off after priming. It was fine when starting warm but when it sat the rail would actually vapor lock from evaporating fuel and it would just push the liquid back through the regulator and now I just had an empty rail of fuel vapors... It was hard to start in the morning.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
lmnjlo

Post by lmnjlo »

Mine would start great cold, not warm.
In any case, last night when I got home I pulled off the Fuel Pressure Regulator vacuum line and gas was just pouring out of it. The engine was off. I then drained the vacuum line of fuel....by holding it down. lol.

So I ordered a new FPR.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Never got a code when they forgot to put in the gasket on the tank when the 90's fuel pump was replaced. Anyway I now see why I has to floor it to keep it moving.

Learned alot in that post!

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I don't know if the 90s had that code... I know 94+ does.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

When you run your car pretty low on fuel and hear a "hiss" when you undo the gas cap, THAT is bad and an indication that things are wearing out.

Positive pressure in the fuel tank is never a good thing.

My Quad starts instantly when cold, but needs a few cranks when warm sometimes.

Gettin' old!!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.